Another top case thread - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MTingle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Another top case thread

I've been looking at rear rack options for my 2015 LT, as well as top case options. There are few different threads on this forum, but I thought I might make my own, as my question is specific. I see this bracket system on revzilla https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2015-2017

Will this bracket system work as a functioning rear rack? I'm thinking about using those brackets, and mounting this case to them. NANUK 915 Waterproof Luggage Case | 31L, Black | TwistedThrottle.com

Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks!
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The GIVI brackets are just brackets without a plate. Some top boxes come with a plate, others, like Givi, sell plates separately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg givi.jpg (38.5 KB, 74 views)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTingle View Post
I've been looking at rear rack options for my 2015 LT, as well as top case options. There are few different threads on this forum, but I thought I might make my own, as my question is specific. I see this bracket system on revzilla https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2015-2017

Will this bracket system work as a functioning rear rack? I'm thinking about using those brackets, and mounting this case to them. NANUK 915 Waterproof Luggage Case | 31L, Black | TwistedThrottle.com

Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks!
Matt
The Givi racks are designed to fit Givi top plates and use the top plate purchased separately or supplied with the top box as part of the rack structure. Their boxes are designed to click in and out of the top plate with a key, so they cannot be stolen but you can remove them when desired. If you can match up the holes in the Givi rack to another manufacturer's top plate your OK, otherwise you would need to fab a metal plate to attach to the rack and then attach the top plate for the specific box you have in mind to this. Otherwise I would look at the SW-Motech rack which is better quality than the Givi but also more expensive. Alternatively you could just bolt the case to the Givi rack but then it would not be removeable. Does this case have a click in, click out mount?

Last edited by twowheels; 05-07-2017 at 12:57 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:04 AM

Unless you are riding 2-up, the rear seat area works at least for me to mount up my tail bag. I got this bag with a KLR I bought a few years back, expandable with a couple of side pouches, zippered, a mesh folder for maps, or possibly tablet.
Got a couple of soft saddlebags, that I can throw on if I need overnight packing. I have a FZ-09 that I added a luggage rack on the back, and wish I hadn't things sticks out way behind, and I could have mounted the other tail bag on the passenger seat as well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all of the responses guys, the racks come in tomorrow. I believe I'm going to end up purchasing this pelican case. 1520 Protector - Hard Case | Equipment Cases | Pelican Professional

I'm going to try and bolt it to this rack, and fabricate some kind of removable locking system. If this doesn't work, I've seen a few different DIY removable systems using a bike lock I may try and use. I do like the top boxes made by the individual manufacturers, I just don't see myself spending upwards of 3-400 bucks for a system.

Once I get everything onto the bike, I'll update this post with pictures.

Matt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally got everything in, have the rear rack made and now ready to mount the pelican case.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pics of rack included
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00646.jpg (29.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00647.jpg (37.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00648.jpg (27.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00649.jpg (29.3 KB, 55 views)
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode