Inexpensive Saddle Bag Guards? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Inexpensive Saddle Bag Guards?

Hey there! So I am in the market for some saddle bag guards, I bought some Nelson-Rigg Dry bags, and I don't like the idea of them rubbing up against my tire. I followed another user's advice and cut out some plastic trash bins and have them in the bags in order to hold their shape a little better, but that also brings them closer to the tire. I have a 2009 versys 650

Does anyone have any experience with the "universal" saddle bag guards (I can't post links yet, but they are on cycle gear and riverroads websites) They say they are more designed for cruiser-type bikes, and i'm no expert, but I wouldn't classify the versys as a cruiser . But they are $30-$40 so that's very tempting.

Maybe there are some ideas for a DIY type situation? Pre made racks online go for well over $100, which is quite a lot for me. As it stands now, I have a couple pieces of spray painted wood, which aren't the type of long lasting solution i'm looking for...

Any help, or ideas are greatly appreciated!

UPDATE:

So I simply got fed up and made my own. A trip to home depot for 5' electrical wire tubing (EMT i think), a pipe bedner (promptly returned after use), a hammer, and a metal drilling bit is all I needed. In the end it cost me $8, and with the pipe bender, it actually looks somewhat professional. I can upload pics if anyone is interested, but it really isn't all that complicated. Basically what this guy did (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/10-modifications-performance/18097-home-made-$16-soft-saddle-bag-support.html)

Last edited by jdevore; 05-22-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Updating my DIY supports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:14 PM

Garage
I know GIVI made a bracket to keep soft bags from rubbing for the ninja 650.

What generation Versys do you have?

https://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycl...upports-detail

You can see if they make something for your bike, or fab something similar.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Edited to include my bike!

And those seem to be excellent, I need to improve my google-fu, apparently. I tried talking to a local metalworks shop, but they basically said "if you can buy it online, it'll be cheaper than making it". I also have a limited set of tools, basically just the basic wrenches, and a power drill. Now I just need to see if those fit on the Versys. I know the Ninja and Versys are very similar so hopefully it will work for both...

Last edited by jdevore; 05-01-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode