Stock handgrip removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stock handgrip removal

I am trying to remove my stock handgrips to replace them with a nice set of progrips. However, I am unable to figure out how to remove the stock grips. I've heard of the air compressor method, but I don't own one. Any other tips or suggestions you can offer a fellow rider? Thanks.

S

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:53 PM

Pop a little WD40 down the inside of the grip , turn and slip off, my son told me of this trick on his pushbikes.To make the new ones stick spray the inside with hairspray leave for a couple of hours , job done.

Silverman
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM

EDIT - Whoops! Looks like I posted right as Silverman posted. What he said.

There are a number of ways to get the grips off if you want to save the grips being removed. If you don't care about that, you can just cut them off. I removed mine this weekend and saw that there was zero glue used under them.

I was able to pull the throttle grip off by just pulling on the collar and folding the grip back over itself. For the clutch side, though, I just used a utility knife to cut the grip off. I didn't cut all the way through the rubber because I didn't want to mar the surface of the bar. I cut almost all the way through and then grabbed both sides of the cut an pulled. Very easy.

For future reference on grips that are glued, I've had some success working a screwdriver between bar and grip and squirting in hairspray, WD40 or other similar stuff - anything that will provide some lubrication and/or dissolve the glue present.

Good luck.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:47 PM

If you don't plan to use them again, take an knife and cut the length of the grip and it will come right off. That's the way I always do mine because I never intend to reuse them and it's a hell of a lot quicker.

When I put on the new ones, I use a little soap and water and when the water evaporates the grips are on there.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode