Handguards and Winscreens-A problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Handguards and Winscreens-A problem

Here's something you should know before spending money on a new Windshield or handguards.

I just purchased the New Give windscreen and the Acerbis handguards. I found you can have one or the other but not both in the same bike. If you have the Hand Guards on the Windshield will hit them and severely limit the bike's turning radius. Almost 50% reduction in turning radius.

I wanted to keep the hand guards so I reinstalled the stock windshield. What a bummer to spend that kind of money on a Givi Screen and can't use it!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 06:52 PM

I've got the same issue with BarkBuster hand guards & Givi screen as well Don. Sux!

I've got the OEM small screen remounted, but I'll find a way to make this setup work come hell or high water. I've tried to move the screen forward using delrin (nylon) spacers at the mount points, but that's just more hassle than it's worth... and still doesn't completely alleviate the issue.

Side note: did you get the GPS mount from Speedy? I'm using a Techmount for my Zumo 450, but may just grab one of those as they look super.

Thanks,
Jim
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:18 PM

dallasdon, have you tried flipflopping your handguards so that the curve goes down from the handlebar going forward? The installations of the Acerbis that I have seen are done that way (similar to the Cycra).

Even if you leave them in the up-curve orientation, I suggest you pivot the handguards down a bit. I used to have the Moose Competition guards on a couple of bikes and I recall the recommended angle for them was 10 degrees down from horizontal. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule, but I usually try to position the aluminum part fairly close to the levers.

I just installed the Acerbis Multiconcept Touring handguards on my bike with the Vario windscreen. I have several inches between the guards and the screen at full lock on both sides. I'll try to get some pics and post tomorrow.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBreath View Post
I'll try to get some pics and post tomorrow.
Duh! No I won't. I just remembered that the Vario will begin it's journey to it's new owner tomorrow so no pics with the Vario. You'll just have to trust me. It works.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:39 PM

I have the Givi windscreen and the Barkbuster handguards. I took the Givi to a friend who trimmed an inch off the Givi windscreen, and all works great. There is no noticable change in how the windscreen protects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys Modified Givi Windscreen.jpg (183.0 KB, 580 views)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
dallasdon, have you tried flipflopping your handguards so that the curve goes down from the handlebar going forward? The installations of the Acerbis that I have seen are done that way (similar to the Cycra).

Even if you leave them in the up-curve orientation, I suggest you pivot the handguards down a bit. I used to have the Moose Competition guards on a couple of bikes and I recall the recommended angle for them was 10 degrees down from horizontal. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule, but I usually try to position the aluminum part fairly close to the levers.

I just installed the Acerbis Multiconcept Touring handguards on my bike with the Vario windscreen. I have several inches between the guards and the screen at full lock on both sides. I'll try to get some pics and post tomorrow.

I'll look at the "flipflop" method. Thanks for the tip. Other than that It looks like I'll have to cut the shield down.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 PM

DD- I'm interested in buying your Givi windshield if you end up wanting to sell it. But hurry, I'm planning to order one new in the next week. Send me a PM if you want to sell.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM

I've got BarkBusters and Givi screen. Didn't modify the screen at all and can turn full radius both ways in full lock. I sent back the Barkbuster handle connections and did it "my way" as Franky says.

Let me know if you want info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00106.jpg (95.5 KB, 513 views)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 PM

atgatt

Definitely want info. How did you set it up?

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 PM

Don-what about a different handlebar setup? It might allow you to keep both items you love, with an only slightly different ergo at the bars. I'm currently looking at one of the protaper bars just for aesthetics. The stock bars just don't do it for me.

Just a thought.....

Jeff
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 AM

I just love traveling every week. In the Versys UK V forum I posted pics and what I did but for some reason my Internet here will not open that forum so I could copy and paste it here. Yet at home it always opens. That does not make sense.

Anyway, everything was left stock.

-I loosened the handle bars up and angled them slightly back.

-You have to leave the bar end weights on, but you can not screw a longer screw against them because they are spring loaded and will press against the throttle. So I went to a hardware store and bought those plastic tube spacers that fit into the bar weight and had a thru hole to allow the longer securing screw to pass thru. Just cut the tube just long enough so that the screw is just outside the weight. I think I bought a 1" tube and just took off about an 1/8 or so.

-After you make sure you have that correct, put on some Loctite to the bar end screws, angle the hand guards about how you want and then tighten the bar end screws. You'll find that alone really braces the hand guards.

-Now, just use tie wraps thru the screw holes at the other end of the hand guards to hold it against the "the bar" which really means whatever it will secure against at that place.

I've put 27,000 miles with them like that and never had an issue. I can turn full lock both ways and at full lock the guards just slightly touch the Givi.

You'll notice I attached a little more "wall" to the hand guards where they would cover your pointing fingers since the guards are out wider on the bar ends. Can't say for sure they made a difference but I like the looks.

I keep the guards on all the time and they REALLY cut the wind. So, you can have your Givi and hand guards too.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:18 AM

For some reason I had to hit CACHED to open the UK site. Here's that post:

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=2467.0
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Flip Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I'll look at the "flipflop" method. Thanks for the tip. Other than that It looks like I'll have to cut the shield down.
Well I did the "flip'flop" and still wasn't able to get things to work together. I really want to use the Givi shield so I'm going to try a couple of other things. If anything works, I'll post it.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 AM

Anyone know of fit issues with Givi screen and Acerbis Rally Pro II guards?

/neil
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 AM

Neil,

No info right now, but by week's end I should be able to help you with some info. My Givi should be here Friday and I already have the Acerbis Multiconcept Touring guards. I think they are quite a bit bigger than the Rally II's so if the screen will work with mine, then you should be good to go. Stand by.

Chris

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:09 PM

atgatt. Any chance you could copy the info to this forum? I've tried to register on the UK forum about 6 times and have never succeeded. I must be a dunce at international cybering. Still can't get there.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 04:51 AM

Barkbusters hand guards with Givi screen
on: February 22, 2008, 06:09:30 PM Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a few pics of the Barkbuster hand guards with the Givi screen. One of the pics show that it can go to full turn lock.

I couldn't install the guards with their handlebar mounts so I made my own. Actually, if positioned as shown at the end of the bar vibration dampers, you can just use tie wraps at the end to keep it close to the handlebar and secure it good enough.

The trick on the end of the handlebar though is not to just get a 2" longer 8mm screw to secure it, because that vibration damper has a spring and you'll then push the damper into your grips. You have to put another spacer inside the damper so that it extends out the edge just a bit and the screw pushes against it in the inside and not outside of damper. Now you can tighter those bar end screws real tight.

I used a nylon spacer bought at a hardware store that is 1" long, 1/2" OD and .328 ID, and took about .10 off the end to make the spacer just go beyond the end of the damper.

Anyway, they fit well, allow full lock either way with the Givi screen and Barkbusters have an adjustable wind guard height. They look good too. I'm a happy camper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Versys Pro

Re: Barkbusters hand guards with Givi screen
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:21:13 AM Quote Modify Remove

Here's what I got:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3870/652/

As mentioned, if you add that spacer in the vibration dampers, you can tighten the guards tight enough to where they are solid enough not to move up or down unless you force them in that position.

At the other end you can just use tie-wraps to hold that end as close to the whatever is there as possible. You can turn full lock either way.

DON'T BUY THE HAND GUARD KIT WITH IT BECAUSE IT WON'T FIT OR WORK!!
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 PM

I have almost a week on my Givi windscreen and Acerbis Multiconcept Touring handguards together.

At first there was some pretty significant contact at full lock, but I rode with it like that for a day or so because i figured that there was very little if any safety concern with the setup. I verified that the shield would flex enough to allow full lock in either direction. It was evident that repeated instances of this would eventually break the shield, but I figure the likelihood of repeated instances of that was very low. Seriously, how often do you fully lock the steering to one side when riding. The only times I ever do it are when I am maneuvering the bike around in my driveway or a parking lot getting out of a spot or something.

Anyway, it rode fine and I had zero instances where I was limited in how far I could turn the handlebars. With all of that said, though, I just knew that with enough patience and tweaking, I could get to zero contact. Well, I'm still not to zero, but I'm very, very close.

Here's what I've done so far:
  1. Rotated handlebars towards driver considerably (no change to driver comfort either plus or minus. I'd like different bars, but that was true before this mod.)
  2. Pivoted handguards so that they are about 10-15 degrees below horizontal (this is the recommended orientation anyway. I had them too high to begin with)
  3. Dropped windscreen to lowest setting (This did not help and I will be returning it to topmost setting probably tomorrow)
  4. No spacers or anything between end of handlebar and handguard mount point. Guard is installed per normal recommended procedure.

With all of this, I have about 1/8" clearance between guard and screen when fully locked to the right and I just barely touch the screen when fully locked to the left. I am sure there is some stress placed on the screen, but not enough for me to worry about given the infrequent need for that handlebar position.

I will take pics of the setup at full lock tomorrow.

BOTTOM LINE - It can be done! There's no reason to give up on the Givi if that's the one you want.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
I've got BarkBusters and Givi screen. Didn't modify the screen at all and can turn full radius both ways in full lock. I sent back the Barkbuster handle connections and did it "my way" as Franky says.

Let me know if you want info.

where did you get that trim around your Givi windscreen? I've read that it softens up the turbulence. How is yours at 70mph?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have almost a week on my Givi windscreen and Acerbis Multiconcept Touring handguards together.

At first there was some pretty significant contact at full lock, but I rode with it like that for a day or so because i figured that there was very little if any safety concern with the setup. I verified that the shield would flex enough to allow full lock in either direction. It was evident that repeated instances of this would eventually break the shield, but I figure the likelihood of repeated instances of that was very low. Seriously, how often do you fully lock the steering to one side when riding. The only times I ever do it are when I am maneuvering the bike around in my driveway or a parking lot getting out of a spot or something.

Anyway, it rode fine and I had zero instances where I was limited in how far I could turn the handlebars. With all of that said, though, I just knew that with enough patience and tweaking, I could get to zero contact. Well, I'm still not to zero, but I'm very, very close.

Here's what I've done so far:
  1. Rotated handlebars towards driver considerably (no change to driver comfort either plus or minus. I'd like different bars, but that was true before this mod.)
  2. Pivoted handguards so that they are about 10-15 degrees below horizontal (this is the recommended orientation anyway. I had them too high to begin with)
  3. Dropped windscreen to lowest setting (This did not help and I will be returning it to topmost setting probably tomorrow)
  4. No spacers or anything between end of handlebar and handguard mount point. Guard is installed per normal recommended procedure.

With all of this, I have about 1/8" clearance between guard and screen when fully locked to the right and I just barely touch the screen when fully locked to the left. I am sure there is some stress placed on the screen, but not enough for me to worry about given the infrequent need for that handlebar position.

I will take pics of the setup at full lock tomorrow.

BOTTOM LINE - It can be done! There's no reason to give up on the Givi if that's the one you want.
I finally got mine adjusted where one side dosen't touch and the other just a bit. Took a lot of time tinkering, but yes, it can be done.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode