Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Cant take the Buffeting!!!

26K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  asphaltaddict33 
#1 ·
I apologize in advance if this had been previously discussed. I could not find info on my year model+height:

I own a 2016 Versys 650LT. Im 6ft 2in tall. (need to find my inseam still) Riding on the highest adjustment on OEM windscreen I get massive buffeting. Real bad above 50 mph. Wind hits me in the top 1/4 of my helmet and turns me in to a high speed bobble head. I've looked at CalSci windscreens, Givi etc.. (just as the majority of us have). Any riders around my height have a solid experience with a windscreen that has a nice air pocket to ride in. If you do please tell me your height and what brand and height(inches) windscreen worked best for you. Thanks!

#2 ·
I am 6'6" and I have the Puig Touring screen on mine... good screen, in nice weather I can leave my visor open.

It's not as "big" and "dead" an air pocket as I had on my old KLR behind a Madstad screen, but for half the price it's pretty damn good.
A HUGE improvement over the stocker, but I can't recommend the Dark Smoke unless your are tall enough to always be looking over it!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-touring-windscreen-kawasaki-versys-650-1000

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Big Chuck. You've definitely got some height on me. I'm assuming id be looking through the screen in my normal seating position. The smoke looks sweet but id be blind at night. I do enjoy seeing over my windscreen but I also need some more protection than OEM.. I guess that's the trade off, height vs. visibility over top.

#4 ·
Full Available height??

Are you at the full available height of the screen? You can get about another 1 3/4 " above the mounting brackets. For me at was too high as I am now 5'6" and I was always looking through the shield. What I am saying is, loosen the shield so that the bar with 2 bolts attached to the screen has the upper most bolt above the support brackets. I ran like that for several 100KM, very stable, just didn't like looking at dead bugs.

#31 ·
Are you at the full available height of the screen? You can get about another 1 3/4 " above the mounting brackets. For me at was too high as I am now 5'6" and I was always looking through the shield. What I am saying is, loosen the shield so that the bar with 2 bolts attached to the screen has the upper most bolt above the support brackets. I ran like that for several 100KM, very stable, just didn't like looking at dead bugs.
I'm 5'8" and that trick was just the extra windshield height I needed. Now, the turbulent air just barely hit the top of my helmet instead of coming in at the top of my visor. The front bracket looks a bit funny that way but not worse than a large aftermarket windshield.

Thanks.

#5 ·
Good point onewizard. No, I haven't moved the actual brackets up they are on their factory position still. I will give that a try. I have a feeling if I want to really reduce the buffeting issue I'm going to need to look in to around 20' Screen. I will try raising OEM first though. Thank you! Also, just for reference to anybody reading at the max adjustable height of the normal bracket setting I look well over the top of the screen. I almost cant physically duck down far enough to get in to clean air.

#6 ·
#7 ·
The Givi should work fine for 6'2" adjusted about half way up. I'm 6'0" and am happy with the windshield in the lowest position for the most part. I like to see over the top and it perfect at that position. As I reported recently, I'm thrilled with the difference, not just the buffeting, but also the noise is really mostly gone. I even ride with my helmet visor up. The most noise you hear is the humming of your engine! A bargain at $117.00 too!

#8 ·
I had another guy with the same bike question the adjustment, when fully up, the knob is at the very top of the support bracket slot, you really need to back out the knobs to get the upper screen bolt past the support slot.Having looked at the for sale, I was really tempted, however two things bother me , Madstad calls for a 16" screen and the width, my bark busters just miss hitting the shield and my GoPro also just misses the shield. With my new helmet I really don't notice the turbulence.

#11 ·

Attachments

#12 ·
I have that Puig 5999 in DARK SMOKE which I do NOT recommend (the color!), because it's very hard to see just in front of the front wheel when you're riding on rough roads (standing on the 'pegs, of course).

Otherwise it seems to work OK.

#16 ·
I'm 5'9", and have the Puig in light smoke... love it (and there's room to raise it more).
That being said, I had the Madstad Adventure in light grey, on my last bike, and that was the best screen I've ever owned... Just couldn't negotiate it on the Versys, w/ the GPS mount I have since you have to have the Madstad bracket as well. Comes in multiple sizes depending on your height...

Versys 2015

Reactions: Lurch71
#17 ·
The madstad is looking to be my best choice at the moment, looking at the 22'' touring model. Hopefully its not too tall, id imagine with the high amount of adjustability me and the madstad will get along just fine. Thanks again for everybody's advice and experiences.

#20 · (Edited)
Hey HankHill,

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-af4105-airflow-windscreen-kawasaki-versys-650-1000

This windshield fits the last and current generation of V1k's, as well you can see by my 650, it fits the gen 3 V650's.

$180 is about what i paid for mine. Can't remember how much exactly but i shopped it around and got it a few dollars cheaper than most places.

This unit makes a substantial bubble around you while riding. And when i'm doing a nice cruise with my lady, I put it all that way up and it puts both of us in the bubble. Love this screen.

If you feel like tearing up a canyon, take the top off in 2 seconds and put the bottom all the way down and you can tuck in behind it nice and tight and have some fun.

#21 ·
Wulff81, i guess i have in fact seen this screen before.. I've looked at all the givis on revzilla. The picture of it on the website and the actual picture of it on your bike look so much different i didn't recognize it. Sounds like a great screen and looks great for being a big screen. Truthfully I don't care how my screen looks AT ALL, i just want calm quiet air surrounding my size XXL noggin. So torn between Madstad, Givi Airflow and CalSci.....:confused::confused::confused:

#23 ·
I tried 4 different screens on my Honda CB500X (upgraded to Versys 650!!). none got rid of the buffeting, in fact most were terrible. I tried National Cycle, Givi, Cal Sci, and the Honda Tall Screen. The Honda tall screen worked the best. I thought the Cal Sci was way over priced and all hype. no science behind it that I could see (and I am a design engineer) I could have made it myself from Plexiglas. They seemed to just make it as big as they could without hitting hand guards etc, then cut and air flow hole in the lower front. So from all this I learned screens are very person specific sadly. what works for one, might not work for other. from reading forums. But I also learned that adjust-ability is a big plus. Which the Givi two piece has. And the Givi theory of high pressure air passing between the two sections makes sense to me. I like my Versys stock screen, but I would like some improvement. Going by what I learned (the expensive way) with my Honda and what I read on this thread, I will try the two piece Givi. I think it has the best chance for success. also, my friend has one on his V-Strom and says it works very well. Also, my other riding partner rides a BMW R1200RT which has a power adjusting windscreen. He said some days, depending on conditions (wind direction etc.) all he needs to do is move the screen up a half inch to get perfect air flow. Compared to the day before he needed it half inch lower. Another reason I think the Givi is the best choice. I look forward to seeing what work for you!! (even though it might not work for me!!) Jim

#24 ·
Jim, what you describe is just about my experience and conclusions exactly!

I also ride an R1200RT and adjust-ability is the key... The slightest up or down movement on my electric screen can transform the windflow and varies from one day to another.. from one speed to another and even what helmet/clothes I am wearing!

The screen manufacturers must make a small fortune on what are essentially bits of vacuum formed plastic...make a mound and turn therm out by the thousand. Works for some, not for others and keeps a healthy turnover of customers looking for a better than stock screen. Most stock (touring bike) screens are probably about as good an all round average screen you will get for a wide range of speeds and rider heights. Why would any bike manufacturer produce a less than optimum screen?

I have decided that small modifications to the original screen is the way to go and much cheaper! (laminar lip, side winglets etc for example)

ps - earplugs make the biggest improvement!

#25 ·
farmerboy. I agree on the small fortune bit, what a cheap easy way to make money. My biggest issue with the stock windscreen is that it doesn't go up high enough, and if it did it would let to much airflow underneath the screen. Ill also add that its very narrow on the 2016, I have really wide shoulders. The wind hits me too much in all the wrong places, not just my helmet. its all good until about 50-55mph. If adjustability is key, as a few people have mentioned, than the madstad or at least the madstad bracket seems to be my best choice. I was riding on the highway today with almost zero wind speed and at about 65mph I was getting wind punched in the shoulders causing wobble on my front tire at times. Despite all this, I love my bike. She just needs a little tweaking.

#33 ·
Been there, with my previous bike I tweaked the windshield so the turbulent air was hitting right below my helmet, so my head was in the clean air. It was okay (much better than with the turbulent flow hitting straight in the face), but still not what it's all cracked up to be. Right now with the V's windshield cranked above the bracket, my head is in the quiet bubble with only the top of my helmet being hit by the airflow and it's a lot quieter than it ever was with my ninja.

It could still be more quiet with an aftermarket windshield but I'm not a fan either of those giant things. I found a nice compromise and I'm pretty happy with it.

#35 ·
Best farkle ever. Zero buffeting. Peug windshield. :nerd::surprise::smile2::grin2:
I also got Puig Touring Windscreen. It's much better than stock but I can't say there is no buffeting. It works perfectly up to 55 mph, but at 75mph there is plenty of buffeting, the only way to take a break is to move your head forward as close as possible to the windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.