Shortening front blinker stalks - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Shortening front blinker stalks

I had shortened the rear blinker stalks on my c10 concours and thought I'd give it a try on my Versys stock front blinker stalks. In the pictures I only had the left one done 11/16 inch, hoping to lessening damage if and when I tip over. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161231_190707_resized.jpg (49.3 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg 20161231_191030_resized.jpg (39.7 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg 20161231_191054_resized.jpg (34.3 KB, 277 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Very much interested in your process. You need to show how you did it, otherwise you are just showing off! :-)

For the mater of protecting it, I removed the pair of clamping plates. The rubber boot is strong enough to hold the stalk, but will pop out if bent in a crash. Tested (unfortunately). It may still crack the lense, but you could definitely save a fairing from cracking.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
How visible are the turn signals with the headlight on from 100 yards away?

Might want to add some SkeneDesign P3 turn signals to compensate.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Very much interested in your process. You need to show how you did it, otherwise you are just showing off! :-)

For the mater of protecting it, I removed the pair of clamping plates. The rubber boot is strong enough to hold the stalk, but will pop out if bent in a crash. Tested (unfortunately). It may still crack the lense, but you could definitely save a fairing from cracking.
I like your ideal of removing the clamps so it just pops out in case of a fall. When I do the right blinker I'll try to take some pictures, It's not hard to do but the cuts have to be precise or it could get expensive buying a new blinker.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
How visible are the turn signals with the headlight on from 100 yards away?

Might want to add some SkeneDesign P3 turn signals to compensate.
Not a bad ideal, I have seen a lot of cars that you can't see their blinker because it's washed out buy the headlight.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I took some pictures while shortening the right blinker. You make three cuts, all of equal length (I did 11/16") One cut on blinker housing, one on the rubber boot and one on the post where the screw goes in to hold the assembly together. Then drill the hole in the post all the way threw and use a shorter screw(I used a #8x1/2" sheet metal) to reassemble. Used a hacksaw for the cuts and a file to level and clean up cuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170101_121717_resized.jpg (52.6 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 20170101_123422_resized.jpg (47.3 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg 20170101_123438_resized.jpg (51.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 20170101_124614_resized_1.jpg (47.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 20170101_125741_resized.jpg (44.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 20170101_132700_resized.jpg (27.3 KB, 230 views)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM

Thanks!

But tool-wise, I'm 1 cat short (or perhaps it's just the foreman inspecting?)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thanks!

But tool-wise, I'm 1 cat short (or perhaps it's just the foreman inspecting?)
You are welcome, and yes that is one snoopy cat, lol.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Can you show how you did this? Sounds like a great idea.

Edit: Disregard. I read your post again and I see you're just leaving out the plate and not modifying anything. That's a brilliant idea.

Last edited by Bale2011; 09-11-2017 at 08:32 AM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
Can you show how you did this? Sounds like a great idea.

Edit: Disregard. I read your post again and I see you're just leaving out the plate and not modifying anything. That's a brilliant idea.
Thanks. I would have kept that but in the end, with so much winter time to kill, I went for led blinkers (2" long) decently bright (https://www.admsport.com/en/clignota...rsel-del-arrow) with DIY adapter plates from thick garbage bin plastic and a led flasher relay. They barely exceed my crashbars width and they flex, so good chances of not breaking.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
New Plastic Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully123 View Post
I took some pictures while shortening the right blinker. You make three cuts, all of equal length (I did 11/16") One cut on blinker housing, one on the rubber boot and one on the post where the screw goes in to hold the assembly together. Then drill the hole in the post all the way threw and use a shorter screw(I used a #8x1/2" sheet metal) to reassemble. Used a hacksaw for the cuts and a file to level and clean up cuts.
Joined the ranks of , yes new plastic needed , doing a tight left turn at 2KM/Hr , in second gear , GPS moment, yup, just a spit second and stalled my clutch hand went forward, just like hard braking, and Over we go, pushed the signal straight through the plastic , so much for the rubber mount. Waiting for my highway peg mounts to arrive to mount on my Sw Motech crash bars sitting on the garage floor. Yes the bars are unscathed as they are in the bubble wrap
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Joined the ranks of , yes new plastic needed , doing a tight left turn at 2KM/Hr , in second gear , GPS moment, yup, just a spit second and stalled my clutch hand went forward, just like hard braking, and Over we go, pushed the signal straight through the plastic , so much for the rubber mount. Waiting for my highway peg mounts to arrive to mount on my Sw Motech crash bars sitting on the garage floor. Yes the bars are unscathed as they are in the bubble wrap
How bad did your cowling crack when the signal pushed through it?

I'm kind of disappointed that Kawi won't design a break-away type signal mount, or at least relocate them (or point them forward) to where they don't protrude beyond a typical crash bar setup. I've checked around and it seems to be anywhere from $100 to $200 to replace a cracked cowling.

Last edited by Bale2011; 09-13-2017 at 11:35 AM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
How bad did your cowling crack when the signal pushed through it?

I'm kind of disappointed that Kawi won't design a break-away type signal mount, or at least relocate them (or point them forward) to where they don't protrude beyond a typical crash bar setup. I've checked around and it seems to be anywhere from $100 to $200 to replace a cracked cowling.
No crack, a clean punch through, hole is now size of signal, not repairable, a back order item, go figure . $160 Canadian
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
No crack, a clean punch through, hole is now size of signal, not repairable, a back order item, go figure . $160 Canadian
I might just find a way to flush mount these so they sit within the crash bar protective range. Winter project.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ed-turn-signal

Edited to add: I've found this relay replacement to go along with the LED lights.

https://www.customled.com/products/e...-flasher-relay

Last edited by Bale2011; 09-13-2017 at 02:22 PM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 03:16 PM

I removed the metal plates on mine shortly after getting the bike.............had a slide on slush (10-15 mph and about 20') which broke the head off the turn signal and when the whole affair popped out of the fairing it cracked the fairing. It was repairable (almost undetectable) but I would like to shorten the stalks.

Last edited by Duffy; 09-14-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Superb. Now you can install it at the depth you want! (20-30 turns of duct tape inside should hold it!)

Kidding aside, it`s amazing what you can do with 3M flexible epoxy.You could stick a plastic plate inside (with suitable hole to hold the stalk). Not perfect, but an occasion like this deserve at least a month of DIY hacking fun (while the new part crosses the pacific..)
onewizard likes this.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:21 AM

Garage
I just shortened my stalks to get them shorter than my bars. Thanks for this! Hopefully I'll never find out if they're short enough.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
For reference, micro size LED turn signals can be installed. I used R&G Racing brand, though there are other brands out there too. R&G sells an adapter plate. eBay is a source too.

Signal mods are a few posts down in this thread
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...n-signals.html
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully123 View Post
Clever guy! I dont think the shorter stem affects the visibility of the turn signal much,that would be my first concern. And the metal bracket is redundant ,alot of us have removed it.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Joined the ranks of , yes new plastic needed , doing a tight left turn at 2KM/Hr , in second gear , GPS moment, yup, just a split second and stalled my clutch hand went forward, just like hard braking, and Over we go, pushed the signal straight through the plastic, so much for the rubber mount. Waiting for my highway peg mounts to arrive to mount on my Sw Motech crash bars sitting on the garage floor. Yes the bars are unscathed as they are in the bubble wrap
What is a "GPS moment", oh wise wizard?

Was it similar to your drop at a stop sign last year, or is that the event you are referring to? If so, I did not know there was damage.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode