Shortening front blinker stalks - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:29 AM

i want to shorten them too. the previous owner dropped the bike from a standstill and blew up that fairing. they glued it back together but then I dropped the bike from a stand still too!! totally blew the fairing up of course. I have a new one on order but I guess I'll be adding some sliders or guards + modifying the stalk first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 AM

Garage
Wow, exploding fairings!

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Wow, exploding fairings!
I haven't had THAT yet, but I DID "blowup" a saddlebag....

And after some time 'repairing' it w/ epoxy:

(and Gorilla Tape)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
What is a "GPS moment", oh wise wizard?

Was it similar to your drop at a stop sign last year, or is that the event you are referring to? If so, I did not know there was damage.
The stop sign was one of those , see the bike in front pull away and then be distracted with the car turning right, let out the clutch with feet still down, only to realize the bike moved forward to view past the car, so my choice was to rear end the bike or steer around and brake, with only the front brake combined with steering = going down.

The GPS moment, happened while up in Bobcaygeon Ont. had gassed up to the tank cap, got a call from the Hospital about my 91 year old dad, so instead of travelling more North I had to head home. I just programmed my GPS for this new route, not 100% focused, GPS says turn right 125 meters, since I had started from the gas station , it uses the GPS satellite location which in that area is really limited, I turned about 100 meters, the instant I turned I realized it was a mistake, so I do a U turn but was in second gear, yes hard left and stall equals bike going down with a gas tank filled to the brim. Punched a hole clean through the fairing with the signal light, just last week I changed the plastic, been sitting in my garage for over a year. I had no crash bars at the time, my repair was actually stronger than OEM, just obvious that it was patched if you looked real close.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:44 PM

My new fairing came in today. Cost no more than a similar sized car body part and hey it was painted too.. Doesn't mean it was cheap 160 USD for metallic spark black

I took apart the turn signal and the mod seems fairly straight forward.

I want to do 3 mods:

1. Shorten the stalk and remove the metal mounts leaving only the rubber.
2. Put in an LED
3. Convert the signal to a permanent running light which blinks on appropriate when the turn signal is activated.

Last edited by denimnerd99; 04-24-2019 at 06:17 PM.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:10 AM

Garage
I repaired cracks in a fairing with ABS cement. Always glue it from the back. The Concours group recommended the ABS adhesive as it is closest to the fairing material.

Hope that I never need to use it on my V.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimnerd99 View Post
My new fairing came in today. Cost no more than a similar sized car body part and hey it was painted too.. Doesn't mean it was cheap 160 USD for metallic spark black

I want to do 3 mods:

2. Put in an LED
3. Convert the signal to a permanent running light which blinks on appropriate when the turn signal is activated.

The last, good luck with that, it is going to be some major rewiring, be aware your emergency signal activates both signals and front and rear are wired together, since the flasher is live all the time and common to the signal switch / emergency switch , it is no simple task. However I have almost the same thing, using two $4 relays on my Barkbusters.

Right hand signal on, the white highway lights switch off on the side the signal activates, so each off cycle of the right side, the white comes on, while the left side Barkbuster white remains on solid.

Running lights

I chose the BarkBuster location from years of driving a service truck and using mirrors for rear viewing, those signal lights are lower than my Barkbusters. Add in my Denali lights and the front of the bike stands out.

If you look in a mirror day or night, you know something unusual is coming

Last edited by onewizard; 04-25-2019 at 01:20 PM.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:04 PM

Garage
Looks like you could land aircraft with all those lights, Wiz!

I don't bother with extra lighting since I'm not able to drive in the dark anymore. My optometrist told me she would have my license pulled if she sees me driving at night. She'd never recognize me with full face helmet at night, but I respect her judgement and would not risk it regardless. I don't want to push things- she could pull my license already due to deteriorating vision.

Doesn't stop my hoolie riding in the daytime. Just a matter of the right place at the right time.
onewizard likes this.

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimnerd99 View Post

I want to do 3 mods:

2. Put in an LED
You will need to convert / upgrade to a 3 wire flasher.
I worked it out, since I already have something very similar , you need two relays SPDT

FYI I taped into my front signals, in your case cut only the front signals, this will leave a reasonable load for the flasher, as there is a minimum milliamp load required for it to work.
The positive feed to the flasher is red, from the flasher to the signal switch is green, I included my post
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...11-post84.html

So both added relays get a tap off the red wire going to the flasher, we will call relay L & relay R, so red goes to pin #30 of L & R, frame ground goes to both L & R pin #85. You need to cut the left and right signal light wires , for simplicity the wire to the light we will call Lb and Rb, from the signal switch which is the cut end of these two Ra & La. So L relay we have La on pin 86 and Lb on 87a. So R relay we have Ra on pin 86 and Rb on 87a

Last edited by onewizard; 04-25-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode