A new look - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Chuck
  • 1 Post By captpfd
  • 1 Post By Big Chuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

A new look

I changed out the pivot and radiator covers on my versys from silver to black and must say I am happy with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1114.jpg (90.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1118.jpg (83.0 KB, 152 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 02:58 PM

Garage
Big job, Maybe too big, but it would look nice with the frame and swingarm black too.
jefapotomus likes this.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:00 PM

I think it looks much better. Good job!
jefapotomus likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
Big job, Maybe too big, but it would look nice with the frame and swingarm black too.
I plan on owning this bike for a long time and that is most certainly on the agenda. The frame will most certainly be powder coated black and either the same for the swing arm or finding a black 650 swing arm.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Not really THAT big, BIG Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4608.jpg (81.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Top of the World 16.jpg (101.7 KB, 79 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefapotomus View Post
I plan on owning this bike for a long time and that is most certainly on the agenda. The frame will most certainly be powder coated black and either the same for the swing arm or finding a black 650 swing arm.
you need to service the steering bearings, swingarm bearings, air filter, grease the electrical connections, check the valves...heck the bike is apart at that point, might as well go the rest of the way. easy, fast work, no special tools required. the slowest part of the job is carefully removing the numerous plastic clips so that they are re-usable. half day to disassemble, half day to reassemble. these are simple machines to work on.

those black plastic covers look great, y'all must have bought them cheap.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:49 AM

Garage
If you like to diy (and save money!) think about painting your frame and swingarm (or anything else).

I used KBS Maxx (RustSeal) in Hot Rod Black on my rear rack, handles, brackets, and luggage racks. Very easy to paint. Cures quickly, with the moisture in the air, so outside is ok, don't need a paint booth (just a mask and lots of fresh air). Goes on nice and is VERY durable (I scrape my boots across my rack getting on and off all the time!) easy to clean, and you can touch up any damage if you do hurt it. No way to fix powder coat.

This stuff...

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Maxx.html

If you have ever used POR-15, KBS is the same type of coatings. In fact, KBS was started by one of the two who created POR-15.
I have used various POR products, and now several KBS ones, and I like the KBS products.
jefapotomus likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you like to diy (and save money!) think about painting your frame and swingarm (or anything else).

I used KBS Maxx (RustSeal) in Hot Rod Black on my rear rack, handles, brackets, and luggage racks. Very easy to paint. Cures quickly, with the moisture in the air, so outside is ok, don't need a paint booth (just a mask and lots of fresh air). Goes on nice and is VERY durable (I scrape my boots across my rack getting on and off all the time!) easy to clean, and you can touch up any damage if you do hurt it. No way to fix powder coat.

This stuff...

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Maxx.html

If you have ever used POR-15, KBS is the same type of coatings. In fact, KBS was started by one of the two who created POR-15.
I have used various POR products, and now several KBS ones, and I like the KBS products.
Thanks Big Chuck! that actually looks like it came out awesome! Did you use a spray gun for that?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefapotomus View Post
Thanks Big Chuck! that actually looks like it came out awesome! Did you use a spray gun for that?
Yes, a very cheap one. I like to get the cheap ones from H. Freight, that way if I don't get them clean enough afterwards I am only out about $15. Sometimes you can get them on sale and use a coupon and pick them up under $10.
Just use them and throw them out!

I hung all the parts up outside on a nice day (back behind my sheds, next to the woods and away from the house or neighbors) on a line between two trees, used a good mask with particulate filters, and a small compressor (like for a nail gun).
Worked great, the KBS stuff is very forgiving, easy to mix, and cleans up with the right thinner (as long as you get it before it dries!).
I did use a very light coat of their self etching primer on everything first, and I think that helps a lot. Its cheap and easy to use too.

I like these types of paints because like the POR line, once they set up they are not affected by chemicals (gas, break fluid, carb cleaner), heck, I don't think paint stripper would do much to it. Pretty much have to sand or grind it off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode