Problems installing Kawasaki windscreen? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Problems installing Kawasaki windscreen?

I bought a taller, wider, "genuine" Kawasaki windscreen form my dealer to improve the wind deflection and appearance. It is the one in the catalog (not the vario). This windscreen is made in Germany for Kawasaki, and is listed as a "genuine Kawasaki part". Whoever translated the instructions from German to English did not do a very good job, and the not all of the hardware was included. There is quite a bit of hardware reuse from the original windscreen. I, for the life of me cannot figure out how this damn thing mounts! I have tried it a number of different ways and after cursing at it in the dark with my poor wife holding a flashlight for me, I gave up. I put the old one back on. Has anyone else had experience mounting this windscreen? Also, I am concerned regarding the overall quality of the bike itself with respect to a number of adjustments that needed to be made to the clutch cable, and throttle bodies. Is this typical of all Kawasakis? I am a bit concerned about this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Me too

I got the same windscreen when I purchased my bike (ordered, came in a couple weeks later). I tried putting it on but the holes in the windscreen are not spaced correctly. They may go with some force but I didn't want to do that. Besides, if you mount all four holes, the windscreen is no higher than stock and all the height difference is going lower so the screen sits on the cowling. So basically, you can only mount two of the four holes and have it actually higher than stock. The two remaining holes in the screen are for "ventilation".

I don't like it but haven't gone back to the dealer with it yet.

I have been watching the board and reading about others windscreens but it's been a bit low on the priority list. I've been putting my effort and $$ into cases and mounts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM

i don't have a taller screen but this picture might help ,its from the Kawasaki accessories catalogue .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 203WSC0007[1].jpg (86.0 KB, 400 views)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:03 PM

Try these plastic inserts and it will be OK.

Last edited by costas_; 08-19-2008 at 04:34 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM

I just replaced the stock windshield with a GIVI and the holes lined up perfectly. I did make some riser plates that I installed and added about 2" in height. Quality wise, I think Kawasaki is right up there. It's the dealer assembly that often sucks.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 06:16 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:11 PM

I installed my windsheild in the dealer's parking lot! It did take a little head scratching, but it does fit perfectly! The only parts I used from the old windsheild are the rubber washers. You should have four bolts, four spacers, and four nuts. Use the shorter bolts and spacers for the top. The longer ones for the bottom will make it clear the body, and tilt it back for an aerodynamic look.

As for the height? It sits no taller than the stock windsheild because it only has one setting, but in my opinion, does a better job at directing the wind over the bike. I have noticed better handling at highway speed! I also think this screen has a little more agessive look than other sheilds!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:46 PM

I meant to say "it has a more AGRESSIVE look"!
Typing on an Iphone sucks!

V RIDER has spoken!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:00 AM

Replaced it

So I went ahead and replaced the windscreen last night with the Kawi optional windscreen (not the Vario) and it all worked out fine. It does mount ok and looks pretty cool (aggressive.. correct spelling). I went ahead and made the cowl mod at the same time (see Cowl Buzz thread).

Even though the MRA windscreen is actually no taller than the stock screen because of the mounting location, and the fact that it is swept back at a lower angle than the stock screen, it does seem to reduce the buffeting a little bit. I am 6' and the wind still hits me full on the face but with seemingly less buffeting. I may play with the spacers and mounting brackets a little bit to see if I can raise it and maybe tilt it forward a little bit. My conclusion is that if you want something larger to get your face out of the direct wind, then this is not what you want. I may go ahead and get a larger screen (Givi?) for longer, more bug laden trips.

Last edited by Bryan Baker; 08-20-2008 at 11:04 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 PM

Nice Acerbis hand guards, what is the part number, I've been looking for a pair. How much$$$ and where did you get them?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortasaki View Post
Nice Acerbis hand guards, what is the part number, I've been looking for a pair. How much$$$ and where did you get them?
I assume you are talking about the hand guards I installed but I'm not sure. Anyway here is the info and where I bought them.

1 #736354 Acerbis Handguard Rally Pro Mounting Kit $31.95
1 #736343 Acerbis Handguard Rally Mult. Touring Black $109.95

I bought them at Rockwall Honda in Rockwall Texas. 972-771-6666. You can probably use those part numbers and research them locally depending on where you live. I bought the only set they had on display, so they would probably have to "order them" but you can call and check.

Hope this helps.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 08-21-2008 at 08:31 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

I didn't get any nuts....that's what I am talking about! I am missing parts, as I figured that out in the dark of night...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Do you have pics of your windshield? Did you reuse the plastic washers on the front from the old windscreen along with the cap-nuts? Because if you do, you can't capture enough of the threads of the new bolts included. I think that I am missing some parts. What did you think about the crappy instructions? Was ist los?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 AM

I think you have to reuse the old bolts and nuts from the original windscreen.

I mounted the vario windscreen and I also had to use (some of) the original parts. It is the same manufacturer!

Last edited by crosser1970; 08-22-2008 at 11:00 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:40 AM

flipped my screen. was not happy with it in stock position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08-23-08_0916.jpg (258.1 KB, 300 views)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:40 PM

Got them on sale at the Motorcycle superstore, mounting kit and handguards. $108.98 free shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode