4Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By james75
  • 1 Post By ItsForrest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Comparative cost of Gen3 top case

I know this is old news to some, but in the event it's helpful to anyone looking to add a top case, I compiled this information as part of buying my set-up that I installed over the weekend . I love Revzilla, but in this case, buying from the Italian vendor was the better deal by a good bit. Motostorm packed the shipment extremely well and everything arrived in perfect shape. Of course, if you go OEM you get the color-coded box trim, arguable a nicer-looking rack, and a key coded to your ignition. The pricing is in USD and current as of a week or so ago, and I know some folks may be able to negotiate the OEM stuff down a bit.

OEM: Box, which is a re-branded Givi V47 "Tech" (274.95), rack (206.95) and mount plate (61.95) = 543.85. If you want the color-matched trim (84.95) and the one-key system, the total is 658.75. Shipping would be free to your dealer.

Revzilla: Givi V47 (292.50), Givi SR4114 rack (35) and M5 mount plate (59.40) = 386.90. Free shipping.

Motostorm: Givi V47 (183.01), Givi SR4114 rack from Revzilla 'cuz Motostorm didn't have it (35) and M5 mount plate (32.37) = 277.41. Plus 32.54 shipping = 309.95.
ItsForrest likes this.

Last edited by Doug Just Doug; 09-26-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 12:35 PM

Garage
Didn't know Givi made a 65 liter top case do you mean 56 liter. Also Givi & Kappa are the same.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Didn't know Givi made a 65 liter top case do you mean 56 liter. Also Givi & Kappa are the same.
DOH! Supposed to be V47; corrected in post. Thx.
weljo2001 likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 06:38 PM

Garage
Givi also make a brake light kit for this case at a reasonable cost.

According to the Twisted Throttle ad for this case. No helmets were harmed in the making of the case. A bonus for buyers concerned with the ethical treatment of helmets.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:46 PM

Garage
I bought the Givi V47 with mounting plate, backrest pad, and LED brake light kit all from Motostorm and saved a TON of money. I was worried about ordering from Italy, but I had my items in just over a week.
Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I bought the Givi V47 with mounting plate, backrest pad, and LED brake light kit all from Motostorm and saved a TON of money. I was worried about ordering from Italy, but I had my items in just over a week.
Yup, mine came quickly, too. Years ago, I ordered direct from Givi in Italy (the US retailers were just drop-shipping from Italy anyway), but that took a month or more to arrive, probably on a slow boat. Pretty great to be able to get goodies so quickly nowadays. I'm not far from Revzilla, so sometimes their items arrive less than 24 hours after ordering.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:07 PM

+1 on Motostorm....saved big by going with them on a 52 liter kappa kgr and mounting plate.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 01:12 PM

Garage
Up until maybe five years ago, I was totally against using top boxes for aesthetic reasons. Until I actually had one on a bike and lived with it, I thought they were just too dorky looking for any self-respecting biker to ride with. However, now that I have lived with them, I don't know how I could not have them on my bikes.

As much as I like the Givi boxes, and I have owned a couple of them on other bikes, the price is pretty high for a budget minded (read: cheap bastard) motorcyclist. So, after reading many reviews and having seen a bunch of horrible cheap boxes on scooters, I have purchased a couple different top boxes for under $100 and have actually been pretty pleased with what you can get for pretty cheap.

Following are my reviews of a couple different sub $100 top boxes bought through Amazon.

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 01:28 PM

Garage
This first one is a Bestem top box. It came through Amazon with free delivery for under $85.

Here's the link to the Amazon ad:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The build and quality of this one is not as good as a Givi box, no question. Don't expect it to be.
Having said that, you get a lot for your money with this one. I don't know the volume of this one but I'm guessing it's in the 35 ltr range. It will hold one full face helmet and a rolled up jacket. It's not quite big enough for two full face helmets.

The box comes with an adapter plate to attach to your existing rack. With a bit of filing to stretch out a couple holes, it lined up with the slots in the stock plastic luggage rack on my 2015 V-1000. It would be more solid on a bigger rack (which I have on order) but it is actually pretty good as is. The box does come with a built-in LED taillight, which I have not hooked up and probably won't. The box has a wire from the light and a grommet in the bottom of the box for the wire. It also comes with a length of wire with bullet connectors on each end to wire it in. I like to be able to pop the box on and off quickly and easily and the taillight would entail a plug of some sort hanging from the box for power. If it was never or very seldom going to be removed from the bike, I would hook it up.

The lock on this box is not as nice and secure as a more expensive box. It is not as easily visible that the box is latched and locked as it is on more expensive boxes. It is a very good idea to check every time you close to make sure it is secured so it doesn't bounce open or get pilfered.

There is an optional liner available also from Amazon for it that costs an additional $35. I did not buy it but I see that there are exposed screw heads inside the box that this liner might help cover and protect your nice helmet from scratches.

My bottom line here is, if you have less than $100 and want a fairly solid top box, this one works. If you can afford a Givi, do that as the quality is definitely better.

Here is the included metal adapter plate attached to the rack:

Last edited by ItsForrest; 10-02-2016 at 01:37 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 02:09 PM

Garage
This next one I have mounted on my Triumph Scrambler. It is sold by Emgo and is a smaller box. This one holds my XXL full-face helmet and not a whole lot more than that, maybe a few soft items squeezed in around the sides. For about $66 delivered to your door, I almost bought another one of these for the Versys but I wanted something a bit bigger.

Amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.com/Emgo-72-32440...s=emgo+top+box

This one is actually a better built box than the other one and mounts more solidly but it has fewer features and is smaller. It also comes with it's own adapter plate and hardware to attach to your existing rack. The lock is better quality and you can see when you close it whether the latch is properly closed and locked. Both of these boxes lock onto the bike when the box is closed and locked. When the box is unlocked and open, you can pop them off the bike. The latch on the Emgo box is probably easier for a thief to pop open but the locks on any of these are of the "keep honest people honest" type of locks. A Givi probably isn't much harder to break into if a thief wants in.

Not sure what else to say about this one except that for $66 it's a great box. I have rarely taken it off of my Scrambler in the 4 years I have had it and it works like new and really doesn't show much wear. I have banged the bike around a fair bit and jumped off curbs and over railroad tracks but have never used it off-road more than the occasional gravel road.

Doug Just Doug likes this.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

I had that EMGO box (actually mine was unbranded from JC Whitney but exactly the same) on one of my bikes in the early '90s, so they've been making it for quite a while. It was a perfectly good, watertight box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode