Hand Grips for lowering vibration? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hand Grips for lowering vibration?

Finding that on my new bike, my right thumb will get a but fuzzy as I am riding.

Any suggestions on some good grips to put on to cut down on vibration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 09:13 PM

Grip puppies made a noticeable improvement on mine.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Just put some on tonight. I think they look goofy but, whatever does the trick. Put them in soapy water and couldnt get them on. Girlfriend ended up giving each handlebar a handjob to slip them on.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Grip puppies made a noticeable improvement on mine.
Got them on, they do cut vibration but dont solve my issue. They make the grip a bit larger than I am used to and feel comfortable using. Probably going to take them off.

I think the risers may put my wrist at just the right angle to fix my issue. If I let off the throttle without letting go of my position on it, the issue is solved, but I cant be over extended like that the whole time riding.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
Got them on, they do cut vibration but dont solve my issue. They make the grip a bit larger than I am used to and feel comfortable using. Probably going to take them off.

I think the risers may put my wrist at just the right angle to fix my issue. If I let off the throttle without letting go of my position on it, the issue is solved, but I cant be over extended like that the whole time riding.
yea that was part of what I needed, the stock diameter was too small and cramped my hand over time, so the puppies gave me a larger diameter to help with. Sounds like you are on the right track with the risers, seems like an ergonomic issue.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
...I think the risers may put my wrist at just the right angle to fix my issue. If I let off the throttle without letting go of my position on it, the issue is solved, but I cant be over extended like that the whole time riding.
Could be that just changing the angle of your handlebars a BIT (like 3 to 5 degrees), might fix your problem. Worked for me and some others I know of....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:44 PM

Garage
Try killing two birds with one stone - Oxford heated grips are a bit bigger than stock and give nice warm palms during winter.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Could be that just changing the angle of your handlebars a BIT (like 3 to 5 degrees), might fix your problem. Worked for me and some others I know of....

I may go push it back a bit to raise it. Although the risers will be here Wednesday anyway.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:39 PM

Garage
If you want to try different grips, the best I have tried to soak up vibration are the Progrip 714.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
If you want to try different grips, the best I have tried to soak up vibration are the Progrip 714.
Have some on order. Put them on my FZ but only got like 50 miles on them if that before I traded it in.

Also I tagged you for a question on your post
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
714 or 719?

https://www.amazon.com/Progrip-714BK...ds=progrip+714
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:38 AM

Garage
I have used the 714s on a couple bikes, never tried the 719.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If you thumb is sore then it might just be your gloves.

My winter gloves give me pains and thumb goes numb if Im going hard in the twisties. better if im an relaxed
It is the way the glove is stitched together and that my thumb does not have full movement and is in a constricted position and I get pains on the inside edge of thumb to middle of wrist.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 08:22 AM

Garage
Gloves make a big difference. Have to be careful though, padded gloves that are supposed to absorb vibration often cause pain or numbness due to the lumps and odd shapes.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Ive been using these gloves almost since Spring and this is the first time Ive ever had those two fingers go numb. I will try another pair.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
handlebar angle is important as others have said...risers..especially the ones with vibration control (Speedy's is your friend)...too strong of a grip? a crap buster/cruise control can really help...I have one of these and switch it from bike to bike (Versys and Beemer)...

https://www.amazon.com/Omni-Cruise-O...rol+motorcycle

https://motowerk.com/collections/kaw...nt=16011421251

good luck...
Jaes1 likes this.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
handlebar angle is important as others have said...risers..especially the ones with vibration control (Speedy's is your friend)...too strong of a grip? a crap buster/cruise control can really help...I have one of these and switch it from bike to bike (Versys and Beemer)...

https://www.amazon.com/Omni-Cruise-O...rol+motorcycle

https://motowerk.com/collections/kaw...nt=16011421251

good luck...
Anti vibration handlebar risers would be sweet but I dont think they make em for the 1000 =[
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just installed a set of Rox 2" risers (gen 2), I would say by design they have a greater range of adjustment than Motowerk, and they are of similar quality and finish IMO. The clamp design is more like traditional bar clamps, so I now have about 5" of unobstructed 7/8" handlebar to mount other goodies on. Awesome ergos for my short arms, standing on the pegs doesn't require hunching over.

The big V has a simpler style of bar clamp ideally suited to the Rox (it seems), and likely other brands. Motowerk doesn't appear to make an anti-vibe for the 1000, at least not after checking their site just now.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
I just installed a set of Rox 2" risers (gen 2), I would say by design they have a greater range of adjustment than Motowerk, and they are of similar quality and finish IMO. The clamp design is more like traditional bar clamps, so I now have about 5" of unobstructed 7/8" handlebar to mount other goodies on. Awesome ergos for my short arms, standing on the pegs doesn't require hunching over.

The big V has a simpler style of bar clamp ideally suited to the Rox (it seems), and likely other brands. Motowerk doesn't appear to make an anti-vibe for the 1000, at least not after checking their site just now.
Could I put like rubber gaskets, or o rings or washers between them?
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
FWIW - I have 2" ROX Risers on BOTH my Vs, one set "anti-vibe", other 'solid'. I have NOT noticed any difference in vibes between the two bikes (and the 'solid' ones were on my '09 till it was written-off, then transferred to my '15, so when I said....NOT noticed any difference in vibes... that covers Gen 1 AND Gen 3 w/ the SAME ROX Risers!)

and here are the 'solid' ones on my '15 (the 'bad' paint is MY doing!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode