'09 Versys back rest modification for 2Up - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By revere
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Arion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

'09 Versys back rest modification for 2Up

So..another hard to find item as a stand alone: a backrest for the Versys. A bit strange to think of putting one of these rests on such a lovely lovely machine, but I prefer my partner to feel comfortable and willing to join in the trip than remain stock (and alone!) so...here's my solution.

It starts with a Chrysler PT cruise rear seat head-rest welded to the side mounts of the GIVI luggage rack
(There were two styles of backrest to choose from and I chose what I thought was the better "fit"):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (34.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (21.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (86.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 2b.jpg (62.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (40.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (68.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (71.7 KB, 115 views)
quexpress, P.E. and kiwi69withBoys like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:43 PM

Garage
These guys are going to be putting out a back rest for the V-1000. Maybe if they get enough interest they'll do one for the V-650.......Pirates Lair Stealth Backrest for the Kawasaki Versys 1000

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:46 AM

Garage
Wow, great DIY. I really like that. You should make them and sell them, I would likely buy one. Any concerns about the uprights not supporting or are they pretty sturdy?

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:20 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i got a trunk box that doubles as a passenger back rest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150823_200751.jpg (66.8 KB, 54 views)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

revere - GREAT idea, great work!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:48 PM

This is exactly what I'm looking for my 2016 Versys. I was also looking at Pirates Lair, but most of their Rack/ Backrests run about $415! Too rich for me for a backrest which I will only use maybe a few times a year. Like others mentioned, I might as well get a trunk with a built-in backrest.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 PM

I just got one fabbed up yesterday to make the wife more comfy until the trunk shows up. I used a spare tall backrest from my previous bike (Vulcan 1500 Classic). It is 1/2" square stock and I just broke out the torch, heated it up and bent it like you did with the headrest. Then welded some strap to it that bolts to the OEM Kawasaki mounts for the trunk. Nice and solid and the wife says I got the angle right. Painted it with satin black and then baked it on. Should work nicely. I will probably sell it once the trunk set-up arrives.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:04 AM

Very nice piece of work indeed. I always knew there was something of value in a PT Cruiser, but until now I couldn't think what it might be.
weljo2001 likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I just got one fabbed up yesterday to make the wife more comfy until the trunk shows up. I used a spare tall backrest from my previous bike (Vulcan 1500 Classic). It is 1/2" square stock and I just broke out the torch, heated it up and bent it like you did with the headrest. Then welded some strap to it that bolts to the OEM Kawasaki mounts for the trunk. Nice and solid and the wife says I got the angle right. Painted it with satin black and then baked it on. Should work nicely. I will probably sell it once the trunk set-up arrives.
pics? and maybe interested in purchase

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Very nice piece of work indeed. I always knew there was something of value in a PT Cruiser, but until now I couldn't think what it might be.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkynrk View Post
pics? and maybe interested in purchase
Sorry, no pics. Photobucket and I have been at odds for almost a year. I can't get it to "release" any pictures. If you want to see it I can text some pics. Just PM me your phone #.

I understand that Kawasaki takes about 2 months to cough up all the stuff to install the trunk so the backrest wouldn't be for sale for a while.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkynrk View Post
Wow, great DIY. I really like that. You should make them and sell them, I would likely buy one. Any concerns about the uprights not supporting or are they pretty sturdy?
Solid fit- two bolts on either side..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i got a trunk box that doubles as a passenger back rest
Yes an option - my riding partner has one -- I just don't know.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode