Happy Trails Panniers - wot u think? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to leshall Send a message via Skype™ to leshall
Happy Trails Panniers - wot u think?

I have always wanted aluminium panniers (yes aluminium is spelled like that ) but never could bring myself to cough up the dough. Before they get even more expensive I thought I might try some on the Versys.

I had a HT rack on my old TransAlp and it was a really tough bit of kit so I thought I would buy their version. What others are there? How much? The HT set-up costs $700 before shipping! Yikes.

I emailed Tim at HT and asked for some pics of the racks on their own and now I am not sure if I like them or the solution they have for the turn signals. So have a look here and let me know wot u think.

By the way - that tricked out Versys is for sale at $6,999. I would be tempted if I was looking for a machine, it's got some nice goodies added on.

Thanks. Les, Dallas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 PM

Take out one of those "i's" and I'll agree.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Alumnium?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:44 AM

I have the Hepco/Becker Jr 40 liter hard bags. At first I had their 30 liter but needed more room for my travels. I'm very happy with them.

There are pros and cons to side open vs top open; wide bags vs tall narrow bags.

If I had to do it all again, even though I have no real regrets, I'd do a very good search on what is out there, read and compare, then get the best bags to meet YOUR needs and looks.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

atgatt - thanks for input. Where did you get that rig from? Roughly how much? Any pics of your set up?

I agree with you on size. HT does a pannier 7" wide and another 9" - I'm tempted to get the bigger whatever size I get. I would like to have just panniers and fore go any tail box/bag - keep it low.

Les
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshall View Post
atgatt - thanks for input. Where did you get that rig from? Roughly how much? Any pics of your set up?

I agree with you on size. HT does a pannier 7" wide and another 9" - I'm tempted to get the bigger whatever size I get. I would like to have just panniers and fore go any tail box/bag - keep it low.

Les
leshall, I don't like tail bags either. They take away from the lines and I don't like the feel of with the weight high and how they catch the cross winds.

Here is a sight showing the 40 liter H/P Jr bags. They could fit a full size helmet. They are very tough and it would take a tank to crush them.

http://www.cyclepathic.com/HepcoBecker/HepcoBecker.htm

There are many styles in H/P bags and Twisted Throttle does not carry all of them anymore. You'll have to shop around.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 PM

Klr guys probably know about these at an unbeatable price...use whatever mounts you want.

http://klr650.com/AluminumBoxes08.htm
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Oh Henry that's great! I think I might just order and then make some kind of mounts myself...

Cool.

Les, Dallas
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:29 PM

I love mine! I can carry a weeks worth of camping gear with no issues!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM

I like what I see from happy trails. I like those wolf man yellow soft bags.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 PM

How would one mount these $300 aluminum (U.S. spelling, not UK) boxes to SW Motech Sidecase Racks? I currently have Givi E21's mounted.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=5637

Tony
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:49 PM

Just recently got the HT kit powder coated, pre-drilled, and shipped for about $637. Did a review with pictures here:

http://www.roberttadlock.com/moto-bl...-panniers.html
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshall View Post
I have always wanted aluminium panniers (yes aluminium is spelled like that )
True...until 1925, at which time the American Chemical Society agreed to change the spelling to aluminum.

At risk of another Canuckistan attack...Our friends to the North seem to persist in using your spelling and pronunciation. You wouldn't be Canadian, would you? Of course, that is not a bad thing. It simply is what it is, Eh?

V-Zee
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 AM

I have the 9.5" HT boxes on the bike I have. I am sure that I like them... just kidding

Really though, I've had the HT's for a few months now and love them. Several guys at work like to mess with me and say they look crappy and don't mesh with the bike's lines, but I really couldn't care less. -very solid, heavy duty, NOT plastic, lockable, and the set can be completely removed in less than 30sec. SOLD.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
True...until 1925, at which time the American Chemical Society agreed to change the spelling to aluminum.

At risk of another Canuckistan attack...Our friends to the North seem to persist in using your spelling and pronunciation. You wouldn't be Canadian, would you? Of course, that is not a bad thing. It simply is what it is, Eh?

V-Zee
NEVER seen aluminum spelled ALUMINIUM here in Kanada, except in a Brit article.... Use Al... like chemists do!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:58 PM

wiki it!
In the International scientific community it is Aluminium.

We americans bastardized it into aluminum. (typical for us...but then we aren't the brightest bulb in the international box by any stretch; just the most arrogant).
But in the end...both are officially acceptable.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode