Tidyed My Tail Today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tidyed My Tail Today

My solution appears to be similar to Chris's posted here a few days ago, but the only additional parts I used were longer mounting bolts. The hardest part was removing the oem tag light wire.

Here's the pics: (click to enlarge)

After removing the tag light I removed the lower fender with a coping saw. Using a hobby rasp (file) and sandpaper I smoothed the cut. Then, I held the oem tag bracket upside down where I wanted it and used an awl to mark where the mounting holes were to be drilled in the remaining fender. You can change the angle of the tag depending on what angle you mount the bracket. A quick trip to Ace Hardware secured the longer stainless button (allen head) screws and washers I needed to mount the bracket. (I believe they were 6m x 20.) I also picked a couple of shorter 5m stainless button head screws and acorn nuts to mount the tag. I used blue Locktight with the bracket screws as there is no way to torque them down tight against the bracket without some sort of spacer. From start to finish it took me about an hour and a half and it's really a very clean look once you're finished. The scratches I made when marking the bracket mounting holes are covered with the tag as is the entire area where the cut is made.

Like Chris, I'll replace it with something aftermarket if something that looks better comes along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:53 AM

I like it - good job!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions and the photos, Lanesplitter. I'm picking up my Versys today . . . which, according to our local weather wizards, will be the last tolerable day before three days of storms and 3"-4" of rain descend on us. So, I'll have a good reason to spend some time in the garage making the Versys's rear end look better. Using my standard formula for converting the time estimates given by guys who are handy with tools to the time necessary for guys like me who are hopeless klutzes, I'm figuring I will need about 6-8 hours to accomplish something like you've attained!

I'll report the outcome, but I hereby release you (and Chris) from any responsibility for what I produce and/or accidents that occur during the process . . .

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Y'all come and enjoy some Shawnee Forest Squirrel Stew with us!"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 PM

Good job

I took a look at mine the other day, and that was the same idea I had. I figured that would look the best. Good work and thanks for the step by step.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 06:33 PM

same here

did the same dude but mounted plate directly onto the body work

make toast, not war
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Nice work and it looks great, but doesn't the law require to have a LED above the plate?
I was about to purchase this one:
http://www.targa-acc.com/cgi-bin/pro...2-462&format=3

Last edited by Kawa007; 05-12-2008 at 08:21 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Technically I should have an operating tag light, and I'll install one eventually. Although the cops could use it as probable cause to stop me most won't even bother.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 AM

thanks lanesplitter, after looking at all the different mod designs i went with yours, i was thinking of something like this but i kept getting hung up on the tag light, until i saw some led license plate bolts at the local cycle gear. i have yet to install those, i will look at it at night and see if the running light lights it up enough. but it was super simple and only took an hour. thanks again.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

I'm glad the post helped amschemel. I still haven't installed a tag light but when I do I'll probably go the LED route myself. I'm thinking just drill a small hole in the plastic above the tag, install the light and tap into the existing tag light wiring for power.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:11 AM

Thanks for making me look at your rear end............

** This space for rent **
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:52 AM

honestly i think the brake light, (while operating as a running light) illuminates the plate enough, but who knows if the police will see it that way.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Having been a cop in another life I can tell you that getting a ticket for no tag light on a motorcycle means that 1) you've been a total ass or 2) you've just been stopped by a total ass. Either way the odds are not very good that it will happen.

And speaking of rear ends - I'm kinda proud of mine
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Ted

I did a similar tail mod this season and ran for awhile with the running light illuminating the plate. I wasn't stopped but did eventually mount an LED in the upper center of the plate - just so there would hopefully be no problems and even though I couldn't find a requirement for such lighting in our state's moto regs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode