I finally got my Versys and I need advice - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I finally got my Versys and I need advice

I just bought my 2009 Kawasaki Versys for $5,000 brand new; $6,300 out the door. I thought it was a deal and I couldn't pass it up. So, how I am asking for suggestions to make my bike even more enjoyable than it already is.

I am looking for additions that will add to it's touring versatility. I have been looking at Givi Cases. I am also looking for a GPS (with mount). I have been looking online at twisted throttle. I was considering getting the SW-Motech GPS mount that attaches to the handlebars, but I don't know if it will be annoying to keep looking down for directions. I saw somewhere a mount that hooked to the inside of the shield. I think this will be better, but I am concerned that it will interfere with my view of the gauges.

Any suggestions to which GPS unit to get. I have been looking at Garmin (Zumo models: 220, 660, and 550). I was looking at the TomTom Rider 2, but I see that many stores have discontinued to carry this model, so I assume it's not selling well, or it's junk that nobody wants.

I am also looking at replacing the stock windshield and seat.

I appreciate y'alls opinions.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM

You need a centerstand!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 AM

I don't have a GPS unit for the bike, so I can't offer advice on that.

Replacing windshield is a good idea for getting more wind protection. However, depending upon the windshield you get, your height and what type of mounting bracket used, buffeting seems to be an issue for some. Most complete some type of seat modification. Many folks are happy with Spencer seats. For me, the mod that has had the biggest practical impact is my Givi topcase, The mod that has had the biggest "fun" impact is the Arrow slip-on.

Welcome and enjoy your Versys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 AM

I had a Garmin but have since bought a TomTom Rider GPS. I love it! I have it mounted with the SW-Motech to the handlebars and it works great for me.

As far as bags go, I guess it is a personal thing. I use the Caribou cases and really enjoy how they pack. Also, I don't have to polish anything or worry about a scratch on the paint.

Some riders get along on the stock seat but I opted for a Baldwin. It has been great on long trips and looks great on the bike.

Good luck.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 AM

First of all, welcome aboard! Some thoughts, having just completed a 1600-mile tour through the Appalachians this past week:

1) depending on your noise tolerance, a taller / wider windscreen can be helpful. There are several good ones available, all of which have fans on this forum. I went with the CalSci, which worked very well for me (5'11", 32" inseam). The only issue I had was one day with very stiff crosswinds, but any taller shield would have been the same.

2) the standard sprockets are 15T front, 46T rear. Changing the front to a 16T, or the rear to a 44T or 43T (which is what I did), makes the throttle response much smoother, at the cost of losing a small (to me anyway) amount of acceleration.

3) bags / cases: whatever your budget allows for. I don't think there's such a thing as too much storage; that being said, there's an art to discovering what's truly necessary for a trip, and what's merely convenient.

4) GPS: I never really looked at the SW-Motech mount, but I did get a RAM mount kit from Aerostich which puts my GPS (an ancient Mio C320) at a perfect viewing location - easy to glance over to, and not blocking the main instrument panel. You'll probably want to put on a power outlet as well; Eastern Beaver is a good source for that.

5) seat: ah, the seat. Probably the worst stock feature of the V. There are a few good recent threads here on a DIY fix; if your budget allows, there are some aftermarket seats available; opinions vary.

The main thing, though, is that the Versys - however you set it up to suit your personal preferences - is an exceptionally capable touring bike. You've already made the most important purchase; enjoy!

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Zumo 500 with speedy GPS mount.

www.motowerk.com.

GIVI Screen with MRA laminar lip.

Steber Horn-if you want to be heard.

and finally &

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adahma View Post
I just bought my 2009 Kawasaki Versys for $5,000 brand new; $6,300 out the door. I thought it was a deal and I couldn't pass it up. So, how I am asking for suggestions to make my bike even more enjoyable than it already is.

I am looking for additions that will add to it's touring versatility. I have been looking at Givi Cases. I am also looking for a GPS (with mount). I have been looking online at twisted throttle. I was considering getting the SW-Motech GPS mount that attaches to the handlebars, but I don't know if it will be annoying to keep looking down for directions. I saw somewhere a mount that hooked to the inside of the shield. I think this will be better, but I am concerned that it will interfere with my view of the gauges.

Any suggestions to which GPS unit to get. I have been looking at Garmin (Zumo models: 220, 660, and 550). I was looking at the TomTom Rider 2, but I see that many stores have discontinued to carry this model, so I assume it's not selling well, or it's junk that nobody wants.

I am also looking at replacing the stock windshield and seat.

I appreciate y'alls opinions.

Thank you!
Welcome to the forum.
Use the search feature, you'll find lots of documentation on accessories.

Search on seats, Corbin and Baldwin have been popular with a nod to Baldwin as a bargain and best satisfaction reports. Many of us have done our own mods.

For GPS mounts also check out RAM Mounts, they have something for everything.

Givi's are good cases, there is also happy trail, caribou cases, and a few others. The givi's are the nicest looking, but not the most durable nor least expensive.

The Givi windshield is popular, others have been mentioned. Used Givi's come up for sale, save you some $$ if you're trying to do that.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Garage
on the gps mount from speedy. givi shield ,baldwin seat. the list can go on & on by the way where are you located you might be close to someone who can show you how they have thiers set up and you can save alot of money and time trying to fiquire these things out
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 PM

having completed an 8,000 mile 6 week trip I'll chip in my tuppeny ha'porth
basic bike fitout
speedy flatfoot
Hugger (ermax), although you can use a flap from an old tyre or similar to protect the relatively vulnerable rectifier (the silver/gray finned thing).
fender extender (pyramid)

touring
givi panniers (doens't matter if its the V35 + PLX racks or E series +PLracks)
if you are going further afield or have a lot of crap to carry then consider adding a top box /trunk
GPS rack, don't care if its speedy's or the OEM/SW motech mount
GPS itself garmin Zumo 550 or Garmin 660/665. personally I use a 550

consider fitting a 12v socket, either a waterproof one to the dash or six one to the frame
consider fitting an auxilliary switched (relay) fusebox from someone like eastern beaver
consider fitting heated grips, however I'd suggest you avoid Oxford, the electronic controller seems to be plagued with problems

on my US trip I had e46 panniers, a wolfman tank bag.
I had a 12v socket extender, which provided two 12v sockets + a USB (power) socket which fitted into the tankbag.

unlike others I didn't have a problem with the standard seat, and my daily mileage averaged about 150..300, did a few 500+ mile days.

I have an MRA Vario in the UK, but found the standard screen inverted worked as well. I'm 6'4", and chunky so I tend to stick up higher than most on the seat. if you are smaller then your head my be in the turbulent airflow from the standard screen

My UK bike has a 16tooth front sprocket, and I would use that again.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM

See signature for mods, here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0952.jpg (965.6 KB, 956 views)

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM

congrats on your purchase and welcome Adahma

this might sound a little off but i would suggest racking up some miles and doing nothing at first. everybody is different and having time to get comfortable with your bike just gives you a clearer perspective on whats right for you.

seats are a great example of something to tinker with over time. to me seats are like shoes - certain brands fit certain people, you actually have to try them to know, and there all better once broken in.

good luck on your mods and happy trails
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice. This i going to help me gain information and make an informed decision. All the websites have been helpful. If you know of any other websites that could benefit my endeavors, I would appreciate it if you post them here. I think I will take the advice of Bildhauer and not making any drastic changes until I ride it for a while. However, I will be purchasing a GPS soon and I believe that I am going with the mount from motowerk.com. Thanks for the warm welcome. I have only 120 miles on the bike, but I love it and I look forward to hearing everyone's riding adventures!

Thanks

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
on the gps mount from speedy. givi shield ,baldwin seat. the list can go on & on by the way where are you located you might be close to someone who can show you how they have thiers set up and you can save alot of money and time trying to fiquire these things out
I live in Fort Worth, TX
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
I live in Fort Worth, TX
Well let's ride!
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=11157

Vulcan 1700 Classic

Last edited by Stazjemo; 09-22-2010 at 02:47 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
I live in Fort Worth, TX

I'm in Haslet Tx. in Sendera Ranch. I'm in puerto rico till 10/03 if you want you can check out my bike i'll be in tezas for 2 weeks,myself and a few other forum members are doing a bbq run to glen rose .hope you can join if you do desserts on me. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=11157 My bike has way to many things to list so if you looking for ideas and want to see how the mods work on the bike this would be a perfect opportunity for you.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 AM

Garage
Heres a sneak peek. Also have the givi E-55 top case for it. waiting at home for me to install are H/B crash Bars, Admore Light Bar, Admore Light Kit for the E-55 and on and on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5014598610/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5014602694/

Last edited by weljo2001; 09-22-2010 at 09:20 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM
djg

Consider a Garmin Nuvi 500/550. Much cheaper than Zumo, waterproof, big screen. Lots of info at advrider forum.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM

Old Garmin 2610 on original Kawasaki bracket oem. (017BRU0027)

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I checked it out and it will work fine. The cheapest I found it was on Amazon.com for $232.38 and the mounting kit (with bare wires) for $34.02. I am also going to get the Mount for the windshield from www.motowerk.com. I think this will be my GPS set up.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I'm in Haslet Tx. in Sendera Ranch. I'm in puerto rico till 10/03 if you want you can check out my bike i'll be in tezas for 2 weeks,myself and a few other forum members are doing a bbq run to glen rose .hope you can join if you do desserts on me. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=11157 My bike has way to many things to list so if you looking for ideas and want to see how the mods work on the bike this would be a perfect opportunity for you.
What date are you guys doing the Bar-BQ run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode