Givi PLR450 side case mount fitment ??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bwwoodard
  • 1 Post By bwwoodard
  • 1 Post By kballowe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Givi PLR450 -OR- PL447 side case mount fitment ???

Gen II (2014) Versys 650

Have a Happy Trails mount system for aluminum side cases and the ktmduals rear rack.

Want to change to the Givi PLR450 quick release rack system to narrow up the rear profile.

It looks like I need the "450 kit" if I'm not mounting a top case ???

Anyone know what's in this kit?

Anyone know if these side case mounts will fit with the ktmduals rear rack ?

Anyone know where I can get some great big round lights to mount on my cases?

fasteddiecopeman...... hahahahahahaha

No matter where you go - there you are.

Last edited by kballowe; 08-08-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Gen II (2014) Versys 650

It looks like I need the "450 kit" if I'm not mounting a top case ???

It looks like I need the "450 kit" if I'm not mounting a top case ???Correct. You'd need the kit in addition to the PLR hardware.

PLR450: http://static.twisted-throttle.net/m...0.1.plr450.pdf

450KIT (a set of heavy duty steel supports to replace the OEM): http://static.twisted-throttle.net/m...IVI_450KIT.pdf

If the KTM duals or any other non-Givi rear rack utilizes the OEM grab rail mounting points, then you'd be facing considerable modification of your own, to even remotely come close to it working. I'm not sure that the modifications (time/materials) would be worth your effort, considering the ease and cost of the Givi 450KIT or the FZ451 top rack. If you have access to equipment (welder and such) and skills, you could possibly fab something. That said, you could also fab your own side case brackets, with adequate resources (skills/tools). For many, a modification effort of their own isn't a practical option.

Just know that the PLR450 accepts the standard Monokey mounting design for luggage. V35 and Trekker cases are a different mounting configuration, and won't fit.
kballowe likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmm - I was wanting to mount some of those rectangular tin cans. Aluminum. Whatever

Here's a photo of the large cases, with the Happy trails mounts.
- HTP4-0-1.1 Happy Trails SU Rack Kawasaki Versys 1--14
- HTPMKXXX.1 Happy-Trails Pannier Mount Kit Point1

That's a wide mount.......

Of course, I'm going with the "medium" cases this time.... and was hoping to get a narrower mount ALSO

Any other alternatives ????

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Hmmmmm - it appears that the Gen I PL447 rack assembly for the 06-09 might fit the 10-14............ even more narrow, but not quick release. That's OK, I don't care about the quick release.

Ya still need a "KIT" if not mounting a top box, but this is the 447 (not 450) kit and is simply two metal tabs that bolt under the rear side rails. That being the case, it would work with the ktmduals rear rack........ and no top box.

This thread linked below is good reading - but you can start at post 26, if you're in a hurry

click link, below

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...vs-flat-2.html

Last edited by kballowe; 08-09-2016 at 10:34 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 10:18 PM

Pricey, but also something to consider.

SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Sidecarrier Kawasaki Versys 650 '07-'14 EVO Style For Many Side Case Types | TwistedThrottle.com

Quote:
Hmmmmm - it appears that the Gen I PL447 rack assembly for the 06-09 might fit the 10-14............ even more narrow, but not quick release. That's OK, I don't care about the quick release.

Ya still need a "KIT" if not mounting a top box, but this is the 447 (not 450) kit and is simply two metal tabs that bolt under the rear side rails. That being the case, it would work with the ktmduals rear rack........ and no top box.

This thread linked below is good reading - but you can start at post 26, if you're in a hurry

click link, below

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:13 PM

Or this thread :

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ge=1&_k=l53b9u

Quote:

click link, below

kballowe likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post
Good find !

I ordered the PL447 side case mounts and the PLX447KIT (for using side mounts when there will be no top box mount)

I believe that this setup will be the most narrow. Got a set of the Tusk "medium" aluminum boxes.... and there's a ktmduals steel rack already on the bike.

Here's the original setup. Plenty of cargo capacity, that's for sure.

Here's the "slim view"
The "how to turn a Versys into a Mule" pic.

Update:. Installed the PL447 side case mounts and they do fit. Also, the PLX447 KIT for when not using a top box. Both fit up OK.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by kballowe; 08-12-2016 at 08:36 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:47 AM

kballowe-- I noticed you also have a 2015 650 (white). Do you still have the 2014 Versys too? If so, are you looking to keep both? Was curious how you're liking the PL447 setup.

Quote:
Good find !

I ordered the PL447 side case mounts and the PLX447KIT (for using side mounts when there will be no top box mount)

I believe that this setup will be the most narrow. Got a set of the Tusk "medium" aluminum boxes.... and there's a ktmduals steel rack already on the bike.

Here's the original setup. Plenty of cargo capacity, that's for sure.

Here's the "slim view"
The "how to turn a Versys into a Mule" pic.

Update:. Installed the PL447 side case mounts and they do fit. Also, the PLX447 KIT for when not using a top box. Both fit up OK.

Stay tuned.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Yes I have owned both a green 2014 and a white 2015 Versys. I sold the white one.

It's a long, long, story........ but I like my 2014 better.

The Givi 447 racks are much more narrow than the Happy Trails mounts, and more narrow than the Givi 450 quick release mounts. I didn't really car about the quick release as much as I cared about reducing the overall width. These 447 mounts aren't supposed to fit this model, but they fit up just fine, as long as you own a rat-tailed file and are willing to do some very minor modification. Not any worse than some other aftermarket parts that were SUPPOSED to fit.

The rear turn signals must be re-located, and ya gotta lengthen the wires. They give ya brackets for that.

I'm STUCK..... trying to figure out what I want for auxiliary lights on the cans. Soon as I figure THAT out, I'll post up the new configuration. The last cans were 37 liter and these are 27 liter. Smaller area to put stickers from all the places I'm going to "discover". Can't be using up all that prime real estate with silly lights.

Bwaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaaa

Last edited by kballowe; 08-19-2016 at 11:14 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like (a few bikes later) you know which bike you like the best for your needs now. I've had 50+ bikes and sometimes feel like I'm still figuring it out. Truthfully, there is no "perfect do it all bike". It seems that they are all a compromise of + & -. I guess that's what's been so alluring about the V650 to me...it seems to have a lot more positives, than negavites....and it's fun to ride!

So, did you buy your old '14 back or get that new $5,000 leftover that you posted?

I have an '11 model and have been eyeing other bikes. I have an itch to get something different (1000cc?), but think I may regret getting rid of the 650 (if things went that direction).

I'm not far from you (~3.25 hours), and these bikes don't seem to bring big $ in this geographical region. It's kind of hard to justify parting with my Versys, because of the low$ they tend to bring. It's a great bike for its market value though.

The slim profile is important. I'll have to keep the PL447 in mind-- good to know it fits!

Quote:
Yes I have owned both a green 2014 and a white 2015 Versys. I sold the white one.

It's a long, long, story........ but I like my 2014 better.

The Givi 447 racks are much more narrow than the Happy Trails mounts, and more narrow than the Givi 450 quick release mounts. I didn't really car about the quick release as much as I cared about reducing the overall width. These 447 mounts aren't supposed to fit this model, but they fit up just fine, as long as you own a rat-tailed file and are willing to do some very minor modification. Not any worse than some other aftermarket parts that were SUPPOSED to fit.

The rear turn signals must be re-located, and ya gotta lengthen the wires. They give ya brackets for that.

I'm STUCK..... trying to figure out what I want for auxiliary lights on the cans. Soon as I figure THAT out, I'll post up the new configuration. The last cans were 37 liter and these are 27 liter. Smaller area to put stickers from all the places I'm going to "discover".

Bwaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaaa
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post

So, did you buy your old '14 back or get that new $5,000 leftover that you posted?

The slim profile is important. I'll have to keep the PL447 in mind-- good to know it fits!
PM sent
bwwoodard likes this.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pictures, all mounted. Sans auxiliary lights. That's next......

A couple of things.

First - these mounts are so close that you must mount the bags at an angle. You cannot simply mount them lower because the mount will be sticking out the top and you'll never get the lid on.. Well, maybe if you fashioned some sort of separate mounting thingy. My other bags were mounted virtually level, so I wasn't liking this much.

A quick search for images on the web revealed that most bags were mounted at an angle.

(sigh)

OK, whatever. It don't look all that bad. maybe

Second - these mounts are for the Givi Trekker cases (I think). Leave your tape measure on the bench because they are closer at the top than the bottom. If you measure it, you'll be unhappy. I showed this to several of my friends and they didn't notice. You won't either......without that tape measure.

Tune in next week when we'll add lights.....

P.S.

just for inside width comparison from the Happy Trails mounts

Last edited by kballowe; 08-19-2016 at 08:21 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:27 PM

Nice! Looks good!

Is that an optical illusion, or will the lid hit the grab rail when opening the panniers while installed on the bike?

By the way, it looks good and CLEAN! You'll need to enlist your janitorial skills and maintain that nice, clean, shiny look (long term)!

Quote:
Here are some pictures, all mounted. Sans auxiliary lights. That's next......

A couple of things.

First - these mounts are so close that you must mount the bags at an angle. You cannot simply mount them lower because the mount will be sticking out the top and you'll never get the lid on.. Well, maybe if you fashioned some sort of separate mounting thingy. My other bags were mounted virtually level, so I wasn't liking this much.

A quick search for images on the web revealed that most bags were mounted at an angle.

(sigh)

OK, whatever. It don't look all that bad. maybe

Second - these mounts are for the Givi Trekker cases (I think). Leave your tape measure on the bench because they are closer at the top than the bottom. If you measure it, you'll be unhappy. I showed this to several of my friends and they didn't notice. You won't either......without that tape measure.

Tune in next week when we'll add lights.....

P.S.

just for inside width comparison from the Happy Trails mounts
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

The lids clear, just fine, but ya gotta lift them up and slide them over - not just straight up. Still, they clear just fine.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Here is a "work in progress" for the lights.
https://youtu.be/HMt5X06IefM
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 08:30 PM

I have the GIVI E22 side cases on my 2014 - 650 - - - nice narrow profile. I'm not answering your question directly, but here's some additional info:

Took my first ride with the GIVI PLR450 side case mount brackets and the E22 side cases. First of all there was some difficulty getting the brackets attached to my 2014 650 (with the 'Speedy' lowering link). But, after some 'tweaking' in the vice and forcing, I got them attached.

On the ride, with my 130 pound wife on back, I soon found my rear suspension bottoming out on bumps that weren't that severe. It turned out the tire was hitting the center fastener of the GIVI bracket arms that run in front of the rear fender (between the fender and tire, connecting the left and right side assemblies). Fortunately, GIVI had the common sense to bevel the head of this fastener, so there was no tire damage. After cranking up the rear spring preload, I didn't experience any additional bottoming - - - but, I really didn't encounter hardly any bumps that would cause bottoming.

So, keep in mind: You may have to crank up the rear spring preload in some circumstances when using the GIVI PLR450 brackets
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

LESSONS LEARNED

Be mindful of the clearance on the left side for the keyway for the seat release.

I was patting myself on the back for having mocked up and mounted the boxes in record time. They looked good. Oh yeah, I am SOMEBODY. Well, until the next day, trying to find the keyhole for the seat release..... partially obscured by the left box.

sooooooo I had to make a spare key , cut it off, and put a little knob on it.

Yes, I AM a redneck.

Tune in next week when I'll be butchering something else (pics included)

Last edited by kballowe; 08-22-2016 at 07:17 AM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

kballowe - good work, and NICE "mea culpa"...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Done for now.

Givi D410ST windscreen, Motorwerks handlebar riser, lowering knuckle, shortened side stand with flat foot, mirror extenders, 27L Tusk side cases with Givi PL447 side mounts, plus the PLX447 "kit" for mounting without a top box. ktm duals steel rear rack. and the extra lights, of course.

Oh yeah, one-up on the front sprocket. 70 indicated is now actually 72 mph (according to the GPS)

....and (drum roll, please) I got all the wires properly soldered, shrink wrapped, and tucked in with real connectors...... after I took this picture. You believe me, right? hahahahahahahahahahaha

Last edited by kballowe; 08-24-2016 at 09:33 AM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Of course, we believe you...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode