Vibrating Windscreen be gone... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vibrating Windscreen be gone...

I finally got tired of that crappy stock windscreen. I tried it all the way up, all the way down, upside down, and backwards. It always puts the air flow in the wrong place for me. I'm really not a fan of the riot-shield looking aftermarket windscreens, so I went another route. I removed the windscreen and its brackets. In its place I fashioned a flyscreen out of a $6 face shield I got at the hardware store. After a 30 min test ride at speeds of 70-90, I like it! As an unforseen consequence, the cowling buzz is gone...

Last edited by jcstratt; 09-18-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Really nice approach! Looks good and very unique. Some say that riding without the screen eliminates buffeting. Do you have comments about that?

Now, maybe some clip-ons, bar end mirrors, a revised saddle, lowering kit? Make it a streetfighter of sorts?

NO COWLING BUZZ??

This may be the start of a new approach regarding the "evil" cowling buzz.

I observed this same phenomena this summer while trying to address the buzz. I had gone through all of the usual "fixes" such as rubber everywhere. I rode the bike without the windscreen to check results. Not a buzz anywhere...until I re-installed the windscreen and the buzz was back.

I basically gave up and now wear earplugs all the time in an attempt to stem hearing loss. Maybe someone who cares a little more than I about the buzz can follow this lead and come up with a permanent, repeatable fix.

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 09-18-2010 at 11:21 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:24 AM

Looks good

Is that your three wheeler in the background?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Verst,
There's 2 kinds of buffeting. One comes from the airflow boundry created by the windscreen and where that airflow hits you. If it hits anywhere on your helmet, it will create buffeting. The second kind of buffeting is caused by helmet design. A bigger windscreen will move that airflow layer so that it passes over the top of your helmet. That will generally fix both types of buffeting. This little flyscreen I made puts that airflow layer right in the center of my chest. This will allow a poorly designed helemt to buffet.

As for what I experience with my setup, with the stock windscreen as configured from the factory, the airflow hits dead center in my face shield which is pretty nasty for buffeting. With the stock windscreen turned upside down and lowered, it puts the airflow just below my chin. This helped with buffeting alot, but is really noisy. With this little flyscreen mod, it puts the airflow at the center of my chest. The only buffeting is a result of helmet design. I have a scorpion exo400. It does buffet a tiny bit, but it's better than the stock windscreen setup. Also, The little flyscreen is much quieter for me as well than the airflow patterns caused by the stock windscreen.

As a side note about vibration, parallel twins are just buzzy at certain rpm's. It's just a hazard of the design. Sort of like how gorgeous blondes tend to talk too damn much.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 AM

(Last Line)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post
As a side note about vibration, parallel twins are just buzzy at certain rpm's. It's just a hazard of the design.
No question that parallel twins are inherently buzzy. However trying to deal with harmonics is an entirely different situation than just being aware of engine imbalance. The cause is apparent, it's the result that annoys. In spite of the fact that I wear earplugs, it's become a kind of a challenge to figure out the weak point in Versys construction that makes the harmonics occur, to determine the source of the actual noise There are a number of other bikes with this engine configuration that do not sound like they are shaking apart. Could it be the byproduct of the lack of proper engineering sophistication? Is it the price paid in lieu of money for an inexpensive bike? Probably, on both counts.

Interesting take on airflow dynamics. Thanks!

V-Zee

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I finally got tired of that crappy stock windscreen. I tried it all the way up, all the way down, upside down, and backwards. It always puts the air flow in the wrong place for me. I'm really not a fan of the riot-shield looking aftermarket windscreens, so I went another route. I removed the windscreen and its brackets. In its place I fashioned a flyscreen out of a $6 face shield I got at the hardware store. After a 30 min test ride at speeds of 70-90, I like it! As an unforseen consequence, the cowling buzz is gone...

J, I bought a cheap face shield with the same idea in mind, but haven't tackled it yet. How did you attach it to the bike? Would you happen to have a pic or two with the side cowlings removed so I can see what it looks like under the hood?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
There are a number of other bikes with this engine configuration that do not sound like they are shaking apart. Could it be the byproduct of the lack of proper engineering sophistication? Is it the price paid in lieu of money for an inexpensive bike? Probably, on both counts.
V-Zee
THANK GOD there are much more SOPHISTICATED motorcycles out there that are PROPERLY ENGINEERED and that are much more EXPENSIVE.....too freakin' bad they are not available until May 2011......

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSabre View Post
THANK GOD there are much more SOPHISTICATED motorcycles out there that are PROPERLY ENGINEERED and that are much more EXPENSIVE.....too freakin' bad they are not available until May 2011......
There's others, Jake.

My point (opinion at best) was that the Versys, at $7K, did not enjoy the development curve that other more expensive bikes enjoy. You can't compare a Yugo with a Mercedes, so to speak. I apologize if you felt I was hammering the Versys. Actually, I'm still trying to help address some issues the Versys obviously has, in spite of the fact I'm getting another "much more expensive" bike. Buying it is going to be very tight for me, but I feel it might fill my needs (two-up touring) better than my V and still allow some mild dirt road riding (we have thousands of miles of these roads here) for this old man. If I can maybe I can afford both bikes, but we'll see.

I know I upset you several weeks ago. I apologize, and you need to let go.

V-Zee

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
J, I bought a cheap face shield with the same idea in mind, but haven't tackled it yet. How did you attach it to the bike? Would you happen to have a pic or two with the side cowlings removed so I can see what it looks like under the hood?
No, I didn't take any pics until a few days after it was done. I made this drawing to illustrate. The face shield I used is from a face shield you would use while using a grinder and it is very flexible. I just cut it to the outline in the drawing and bent it over everything then zip tied it in place to the original windshield bracket mounting holes. I had a piece of 2" adhesive backed velcro tape laying around and taped a chunk of the loop side to the underside of the shield as it will rub on the hump of the instrument cluster.

I'm not sure whose idea this was originally, but I saw it in an older thread here somewhere and they had used a face shield from a helmet. It may have been Invader or Antman. I forget.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
No, I didn't take any pics until a few days after it was done. I made this drawing to illustrate. The face shield I used is from a face shield you would use while using a grinder and it is very flexible. I just cut it to the outline in the drawing and bent it over everything then zip tied it in place to the original windshield bracket mounting holes. I had a piece of 2" adhesive backed velcro tape laying around and taped a chunk of the loop side to the underside of the shield as it will rub on the hump of the instrument cluster.

I'm not sure whose idea this was originally, but I saw it in an older thread here somewhere and they had used a face shield from a helmet. It may have been Invader or Antman. I forget.

Yea, I remember the thread, and that's where I got the idea from, I just put it on the back burner & forgot about it until you posted this. Thanks! I might have to go piddle in the garage soon.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

When you get the cowling off and put a shield over it, it will all make sense. I had originally intended to use a more rigid material such as Lexan. I used the flimsy face shield as a prototype just to see how things would work out. I may still re-do it with Lexan, but I think I will let this one ride a while. As flexible as it is currently, it doesn't flex or vibrate even at an indicated 80mph. That sort of surprises me.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
When you get the cowling off and put a shield over it, it will all make sense. I had originally intended to use a more rigid material such as Lexan. I used the flimsy face shield as a prototype just to see how things would work out. I may still re-do it with Lexan, but I think I will let this one ride a while. As flexible as it is currently, it doesn't flex or vibrate even at an indicated 80mph. That sort of surprises me.

That's good to hear! That's what I was wondering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode