3Likes
  • 1 Post By sumo64
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By 3dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Madstad winshield 2015 Versys 650

Just mounted it this morning and took a 1 hour ride on the interstate.

I'm 5'11 on the stock seat. Windshield is a HUGE upgrade over stock. Turbulence is gone and at the lowest setting for increased airflow it's going to be wonderful for summer riding. I had a madstad on my Super Tenere and was hoping it would be just as good on the Versys....it most certainly is.
Fly-Sig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Do you think it would work with the SW-Motech GPS mount? That mount installs between the stock windshield brackets.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:13 AM

+1 on the Madstad. I have one on the 1000. Definite improvement.

2015 Versys 1000LT

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:00 AM

Garage
The accessory shelf I purchased from Moto Werk is a little to light in the loafers on thickness to suite me. With a phone mount bolted to the center of the bracket I get a bad harmonic vibration (no, I mean it. Really bad.). So much so, I have removed it and the phone mount. I tried everything to make this work because I loved the phone's location and I went to great lengths to vibration isolate the shelf from the screen brackets and the screen brackets from the frame. Nothing worked.

I feel the problem may be the combined weight of the phone mount and shelf or the shelf just not being stout enough to dampen vibration but in either case it doesn't work for me and I dropped a substantial amount of cash just to try this. Lesson learned. I went back to a Ram mount and Ram X mount.

The SW shelf may be different as it looks to be thicker material (cannot verify this) but the mounting tabs are on a compound bend which I feel may stiffen the shelf better. But the outboard sides are mounted exactly where the Moto Werk shelf is mounted, the main difference is the SW is a horizontal mount vs Moto Werks Vertical mount.

Unless you plan to put something very low profile on the SW shelf you might have clearance issues created by the windscreen, just my two centavos.

Cheers,

Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

zirconix......I've never had that gps mount setup on a madstad product before, so I can't answer you. The madstad mounting system uses the stock brackets in the highest position. I'll get some pictures up to help you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
...The SW shelf may be different as it looks to be thicker material (cannot verify this) ....
The SW-Motech mount is pretty thick steel, I was surprised how heavy each piece was when I took it out of the box. It was thicker than I expected it to be. Seems like it will be very sturdy. it also has some dampening via rubber bushings.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
Do you think it would work with the SW-Motech GPS mount? That mount installs between the stock windshield brackets.

Yes it does without any problems. I have both of these items on my 2015 Versys 650.
zirconx likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 11:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo64 View Post
Just mounted it this morning and took a 1 hour ride on the interstate.

I'm 5'11 on the stock seat. Windshield is a HUGE upgrade over stock. Turbulence is gone and at the lowest setting for increased airflow it's going to be wonderful for summer riding. I had a madstad on my Super Tenere and was hoping it would be just as good on the Versys....it most certainly is.
I would love to see a picture of the install. This is on my list of mods to do. Someday...
BEACHBUM likes this.

Mel

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The install is super easy. Take the factory windshield off of the frames by removing the bolts and those thin plastic washers. Put it away in the Madstad box in case you want it again later. Attach the Madstad metal adapters to the factory frames. Pop the rubber washers into the Madstad frame, hold the windshield in place, and run the bolts into those rubber washers. That's it. Quick and easy.

On my '15 V650 I find the full up position and the most rearward tilt provides zero turbulence at highway speed. I haven't tried fine tuning the position to more upright as there doesn't seem to be any reason to experiment with it. On hot days around town I put the screen all the way down and more upright to allow more airflow on my upper torso and helmet.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't understand how you guys have long enough wiring to branch the zumo craddle that far up.

I'm dead center the handlebars and I don't have 1/2 inch left after passing the wire under the right side of tank and under the tank bracket.
There would be even longer to route if going through the cowling (which would ratle anyway).

Your picture above doesn't show the wiring either. As if you spend the day on batteries, which is not an option, Besides as I need my traffic receiver (USB input).
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I don't understand how you guys have long enough wiring to branch the zumo craddle that far up.

I'm dead center the handlebars and I don't have 1/2 inch left after passing the wire under the right side of tank and under the tank bracket.
There would be even longer to route if going through the cowling (which would ratle anyway).

Your picture above doesn't show the wiring either. As if you spend the day on batteries, which is not an option, Besides as I need my traffic receiver (USB input).
The cable for mine was longer than required.
If yours is too short, could you add (solder) an extension at the other end?

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
The cable for mine was longer than required. If yours is too short, could you add (solder) an extension at the other end?
For power, sure.
For the USB dongle for the FM traffic receiver, it's a usb extension I would need. And then all the unused mic in and audio out terminals would dangle, probably ducttaped in some odd place. I will check next time I get in that area.

I`m fine with handlebar ram mount, except the glare because it is so low and about 45 degrees (reflects my helmet in the sky). Having it higher may help raise the angle and minimize glare. But I don`t like the idea of having it further away (and vibrating a lot more).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode