Bit the bullet: SW Motech Engine Guard - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By trialsbug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Bit the bullet: SW Motech Engine Guard

I finally ended my search of finding a preowned engine guard and ordered a new SW Motech one off of Amazon. What prompted my purchase was some "no fcuks given" driver that changed lanes into me and almost crushed my left foot(thank god I had boots on).

Anyhow, I just wanted someone to chime in on ease of routine maintenance with the engine guard on...do I have to remove them for oul changes, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the SW Motech selection for your engine guards.
You might find times where they are kind of in the way, but they are fine where they are for doing oil changes certainly.

Keep an eye on the motor mount bolts and make sure they stay snug.

Did you do a skidplate too?

Last edited by unstable_rider; 07-21-2016 at 07:37 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

No skidplate...I do no type of offroading with the Versys to warrant the need for one. So I need to make sure the motor mounts stay snug since the bars use the motor mounts as a mounting point?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

YES.

I didn't catch what year your bike is, but on the Gen. 1, for example, if the motor mount bolts would find their way loose, they start to make an egg shaped hole in the engine casting (where the bolt goes through). If left unnoticed, the egg shaped hole can wear clean through or break, leaving you pretty well SOL (out of luck).

Some say even red Loktite isn't enough to assure they wont loosen.

Again- not sure which gen Versys you have.... but it was perhaps the biggest problem on the front two mounts, as indicated. I know in the 2nd generation Kawi added some rubber, and I don't know what they did in gen. 3..

Anyway, a file image from when my exhaust, fork and radiator were off and out of the way.....engine back in the frame and the SW Motech swag going on.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the tidbit. My V is a 2011, btw. Do the supplied instructions come with the listed torque specs for the hardware?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Good question. Most of SW Motech's writings in German.

My German is limited to what I picked up watching Hogan's Hero's and WWII movies. If anyone would know it would be Twisted Throttle-- they are typically excellent about getting back to someone on stuff. I just make sure mine are snugged up... they are on lock nuts but still can use a tweak now and then.

Header stud nuts and where the exhaust bolts together under the bike are other ones to check- I check them at oil change intervals. Just takes a minute.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 AM

Garage
Service manual has the torque specs.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyvsSpy View Post
Thank you for the tidbit. My V is a 2011, btw. Do the supplied instructions come with the listed torque specs for the hardware?
I installed SW-Motech crash bars and centerstand on my '15 650. In both cases the instructions listed all of the torque specs.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:00 PM

Installed on my 2014 without any issues. Instructions had torque specs. The bars do not get in the way of any periodic user maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode