Terry Adcox seat on my Versys - first impressions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Terry Adcox seat on my Versys - first impressions

Just got my new seat from Terry's Custom Seats. Put it on my Versys (2015 650 LT) and took it for a spin this afternoon. Here are my impressions after the first 100 miles:

• The dip at the front of the stock seat is gone. This cures the biggest gripe I had with the stock, sliding on to the tank when braking.
  • The seat is roomier and more supportive than the stock. More comfortable even before break in.
  • There's little change in seat height, but eliminating that nasty dip in the stock seat does mean you have to reach a little more for the ground when stopped. Doesn't bother me at 5'10" and a 31" inseam. But some shorter riders might not care for this change.

Terry was able to score some white vinyl and make me a two-tone white/black seat that I think goes well with the 2015 LT color scheme:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20160716_133142.jpg (147.5 KB, 496 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:12 PM

Garage
Looks great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:15 PM

Garage
Very Nice....
rodentrancher likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:17 PM

Garage
How much is the seat? I don't think Terry Adcox has a website...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:19 PM

Garage
That really looks good.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post

Heres an old Ebay ad with his direct contact info at the bottom...Kawasaki 650 Versys Custom Bucket Seat | eBay

I bought a flat seat from him. Good guy to deal with.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
The seat is $250 + $25 shipping, built on your pan. If you don't want to supply your stock seat, Terry will build on one of his, but that adds another $200.

Terry has both a website and a Facebook presence now:
terryscustomseats
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 10:53 PM

Garage
Just spent the day with Terry. He does great work. He's built 4 custom seats for me. He used to own a Kawasaki dealership, and restored exotic cars before that. I didn't even know there were many exotic cars around back in the 80s.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

That is sharp. I know that Weljo had one and liked it.

Can you comment-- was that shape a unique design for you personally?

I thought part of the beauty of his seats was that it tuned out the "hump" behind where you sit?

I am still flying a stock seat, and find the "hump" too close behind me, and the seat too short. That's a good price on the seat-- I thought his were once over $300. to around $340.

Again, that is a cool end result.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
That is sharp. I know that Weljo had one and liked it.

Can you comment-- was that shape a unique design for you personally?

I thought part of the beauty of his seats was that it tuned out the "hump" behind where you sit?

I am still flying a stock seat, and find the "hump" too close behind me, and the seat too short. That's a good price on the seat-- I thought his were once over $300. to around $340.

Again, that is a cool end result.
While I think Terry does sell some "standardized" seats on eBay, if you order by email or phone, he collects information on your height, weight, inseam, and what you want from the seat, and adjusts the design accordingly.

In my case, I told Terry that I wanted more room in the rider's section of the seat, but didn't want to eliminate the passenger section entirely. (I very, very rarely ride 2-up, and then only for very short rides.)

So for me, Terry moved the passenger section back a bit, and left it with the stock foam, while completely rebuilding the rider's section. This probably is also why my seat was less expensive than you expected. I'm not sure, but I think the + $340 price may be correct for a completely rebuilt seat, new foam on both sections, like the "flat" seats some have had Terry build. I think, though, those flat seats are designed for really tall riders. In my case, extending the rider's portion just an inch or so gave me all the room I needed - my arms aren't long enough to take advantage of much more.

I've been quite impressed with my seat so far, and would certainly recommend Terry to others.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 01:11 PM

Garage
I had the first flat seat built, and I am 5' 11". I just wanted room to move around during long days in the saddle.

Joe did have his flat seat built taller than mine because I kept the forward slant on mine for the curves.

You can see mine in the links in my signature.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...I didn't even know there were many exotic cars around back in the 80s.
Guess you never heard of the Lamborghini Countach...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Guess you never heard of the Lamborghini Countach...?

That is the only one I knew of back in the early 80s. The owner of Hawaiian Tropic Suntan Lotion drove one around Daytona Beach with his 17 year old suntan bikini models.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:45 PM

I bought a Terry Adcox seat off a member here last year and love it! It was one of the best upgrades to the bike, I'm always very comfortable and there is a lot of room to move around. I'm tall, 6'5 and getting comfy has always been a priority with mods.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Nice seat, I would sure like the idea of being able to slide around, or not be shoe-horned in by the rim of the stock seat behind me.

Officially on my wish list.

(Although a Bonneville or a Triumph Scrambler is also on my wish list... )
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Nice seat, I would sure like the idea of being able to slide around, or not be shoe-horned in by the rim of the stock seat behind me.

Officially on my wish list.

(Although a Bonneville or a Triumph Scrambler is also on my wish list... )
Go for the Scrambler. The 270 degree crank provides more character, and a better sound. You can always put Bonnie pipes on if you decide you don't like the high pipes.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:00 AM

Resurrecting an old thread to ask about rain. It's my understanding he doesn't install a weather barrier. I'm sure it catches and holds moisture due to the dished-out shape and holes from all the stitching.

Any comments on this from owners? Is it like a big wet sponge in rainy weather?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 12:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
Resurrecting an old thread to ask about rain. It's my understanding he doesn't install a weather barrier. I'm sure it catches and holds moisture due to the dished-out shape and holes from all the stitching.

Any comments on this from owners? Is it like a big wet sponge in rainy weather?

I rode around in the rain and never had any issues...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:25 PM

Have ridden for hours in heavy rain at interstate speeds....this morning included for at least 1 hr and had zero rain/snow issues with mine and it's a double bucket.
unstable_rider and 407guy like this.

Last edited by sumo64; 04-23-2018 at 06:28 PM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:58 PM

Thanks. Mine is on order and I just need to send him the sitting-on-bike pictures he requests.

Love how beefy yours looks with the tires, seat and luggage. Reminds me of...

407guy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode