• 3 Post By MrSchaeferPants
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By MrSchaeferPants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Trunk and Saddlebags came in!!!

Got these puppies on! I bought them all together when I bought the bike, just been waiting for each and every piece from Kawasaki to arrive at the dealer, they put them on. Looks purdy sweet I do think.

HOWEVER, the trunk is loose/rattling. Not the trunk, but the lower base plate. I'ma look into it. Call them tomorrow, they better fix this shizzle. Other than that, happy with them, same ignition key, and the trunk I know removes all the way. Think the saddlebags are supposed to. Either way, I'm off tomorrow, I can ask. The wife went and picked it up cause I was at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13681081_10206582097213494_2594518841396670846_n.jpg (80.4 KB, 210 views)

2015 Versys 650 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
looks really nice if the mount is whats loose its just 4 bolts under the seat you should be able to tighten them with ease

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Sweet, very clean

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchaeferPants View Post
...Think the saddlebags are supposed to. Either way, I'm off tomorrow, I can ask....
Saddlebags - turn key sideways on bag, PULL up the front moveable piece, then slide the bag slightly rearward, then OUT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
looks really nice if the mount is whats loose its just 4 bolts under the seat you should be able to tighten them with ease
CONTRARY to Kawi's instructions - you MUST tighten the four bolts to the rack FIRST, then tighten the four that go into the passenger siderails.
saddlebag likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I installed the factory rack on mine to use with the Gigi V47, which is the exact same case as the Kawasaki branded one. Mine rattled a bit as well. The factory rear rack is designed to have some play in it for some reason. I didn't like that so I pulled it back apart and added some washers. Its tight now and doesn't rattle or move at all.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
CONTRARY to Kawi's instructions - you MUST tighten the four bolts to the rack FIRST, then tighten the four that go into the passenger siderails.
I think this is why I always fight to get those damn things on.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 AM

The factory rear rack for the top case has some side to side movement with little rubber "springs" for shock absorbers. I thought the plate was loose until I checked it with the case off. Honda have a similar system for some of their racks as well
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Saddlebags - turn key sideways on bag, PULL up the front moveable piece, then slide the bag slightly rearward, then OUT.

I'ma play with it this morning before I take it in. Like someone said, it is those silly rubber boots/4 bolts. I'll do something that's for damned sure!

I'll go try to get a saddlebag off again. After pulling that slider knob thingy, I only gave it love pulls, and probably not in the correct direction. It was too hot and sticky out yesterday evening when I came home for me to bother much.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I took it apart. Its designed to slide, or wobble and shimmy. Its the stupidest thing I've ever seen. No one else's trunk does this. It would have to modify it not to.

It has bumpers, and plastic washers, and thick rubber washers to absorb vibration. Its stupid.

Here's their installation instructions. You can see the pictures https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Upl..._999940696.pdf

I don't like it.

I did figure out how to remove my saddlebags per fasteddie's post

2015 Versys 650 ABS
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I installed the factory rack on mine to use with the Gigi V47, which is the exact same case as the Kawasaki branded one. Mine rattled a bit as well. The factory rear rack is designed to have some play in it for some reason. I didn't like that so I pulled it back apart and added some washers. Its tight now and doesn't rattle or move at all.
This is how I may modify it.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 09:22 AM

Looks like a cop bike...and cops kill black people...and I'm not black but I've been rocking a mean tan this summer due to the really nice weather...so I'm not taking any chances, I'm going to keep my distance and admire your Versys from far away. Nice bike!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyvsSpy View Post
Looks like a cop bike...and cops kill black people...and I'm not black but I've been rocking a mean tan this summer due to the really nice weather...so I'm not taking any chances, I'm going to keep my distance and admire your Versys from far away. Nice bike!
Yes it does look like a cop bike! I get people eyeballing me all the time as they creep up next to me on the highway or 2 lane main road. Then the figure out I'm not a cop and they accelerate away.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have a white helmet too. I should wear a reflective vest and see if people slow down when I pass

So I spent a few bucks and bought some washers and a few more rubber washers and a small thing of loctite since I was out. Went from my trunk shimmying to now I can grab and shake my trunk, it stays firm, and it shakes the whole bike

Problem solved! The rubber washers are a bit over sized, but hey, Lowes came close. It (the top rubber washers) sits goofy because the top bracket hole is slotted so the bolt pulling it down cupped the washers. So if anyone else ever needs to:

12 metal washers M10x30, 4 of the original rubber washers, buy 4 more. Loctite. That is all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0714161410a.jpg (57.1 KB, 77 views)

2015 Versys 650 ABS

Last edited by MrSchaeferPants; 07-15-2016 at 08:39 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchaeferPants View Post
Got these puppies on! I bought them all together when I bought the bike, just been waiting for each and every piece from Kawasaki to arrive at the dealer, they put them on. Looks purdy sweet I do think.

HOWEVER, the trunk is loose/rattling. Not the trunk, but the lower base plate. I'ma look into it. Call them tomorrow, they better fix this shizzle. Other than that, happy with them, same ignition key, and the trunk I know removes all the way. Think the saddlebags are supposed to. Either way, I'm off tomorrow, I can ask. The wife went and picked it up cause I was at work.
Looks awesome! I might order one next year. Is the mounting bracket on the back of the bike hard to take off/put back on? I don't think I'd want it sticking out when I'm not using the top case.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzoren View Post
Looks awesome! I might order one next year. Is the mounting bracket on the back of the bike hard to take off/put back on? I don't think I'd want it sticking out when I'm not using the top case.
No. The top case is push button removable, you can just pop it on/off with the key. If you wanted to remove the brackets too, its just a few minutes, couple bolts, very easy.
zzzoren likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode