Done with stand alone GPS - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Done with stand alone GPS

I have now converted to using my Galaxy S7 loaded with Locus Map, Brouter and also using Google Offline maps. I hate clutter on the bars so I opted for a high dollar solution instead. I've ordered one of Moto Werks GPS Mounts:

https://motowerk.com/products/over-t...nt=17274990467

And also ordered the "Perfect Squeeze" Phone holder from ADV Vendor Hondo Garage

Motorcycle Phone Mounts

The phone holder is touted as being one of the best. You can read the thread on ADV here: Perfect Squeeze: Off-Road Phone Mount | Adventure Rider

I should have everything by the weeks end and will post photos and my impressions then.

Cheers,

Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TRZ Charlie; 07-11-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 04:00 PM

Garage
I've considered this for a long time. But so far have stuck with Garmin GPSs. I don't like the idea of putting my $600 phone on my dash. I considered using one of my older phones, but so far haven't gotten a solution working. I experimented with bluetooth internet sharing from my "real" phone (stored safely in a pocket or tank bag) to the older phone which would be mounted on my dash, but it was buggy. Only some apps could access the internet.

Looking forward to hearing how it works for you. I would really love to have a good mapping solution with radar maps overlay-ed. The Garmin and TomTom interfaces are so bad compared to iPhone and Android.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 04:16 PM

I wanted to get the GPS support, but in the end I built one.
And because I had a Nexus 7 that I was not using, I just got a rubber cover and a charging cable.
Worked great on a long weekend trip (1200 km ), Offline Navigation software (no internet connexion), and VLC with bluetooth for music. (green wire for safety)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160605_141252.jpg (58.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 20160605_141300.jpg (61.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 20160703_193533.jpg (77.5 KB, 168 views)
3dog likes this.

Versys 2015 Green

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:01 PM

Garage
That "X" shaped squeeze mount is the style my brother uses. It seems very nice and secure, the best smart phone style mount I've seen yet. Stand-alone GPS is like those old guys with a Goldwing using the built in GPS. Its not 1999 anymore, time to step up your game.

If you're scared of loosing your $600 phone, I don't see it happening with a nice quality mount like the one pictured above.

Personally, I'm a step beyond that, and my phone stays zipped in my pocket or similar. My helmet is Bluetooth. My phone tells me where to go and where to turn, I don't have to look at a phone/gps. My eyes stay on the road. I did this 1000 miles from Arkansas to Tampa, FL. While listening to music the whole time, and talking to my wife while riding.
Serx likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
Done with stand alone GPS
Sadly for me, so is most everyone else. I have no use for a "smart phone." I like the way I can listen to XM radio or MP3s or audio books in areas of bad reception on my GPS AND have it interrupt when I have a need to make a turn or what have you. I also like that it was built rugged enough to endure riding and rain. When it finally dies, not sure what I'll do as no one makes them like this anymore. Guess I'll have to buy a Harley...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Haha...

I've run the Garmin 276c and have for many years (7?) and the unit is nearly 12 years old. Best on stand alone on the market ever (and well documented). But it is dying a slow death. It calculates too slowly now and the screen has a bad spot on it. I moved to the phone a few months ago but as a back up to the 276c. I have my music 450 songs and maybe 12 audio books on my Galaxy S7's external SD card (64 gb) and all of my everyday apps are on it as well.

Since smart phones don't require a cell signal for GPS (only a GPS satellite signal) it works everywhere that the 276c does. I have Locus because I can cache the maps for offline use (Vector Maps).

I have the S7 active so it is IPX rated to 6' deep and rain isn't an issue.

I get voice direction prompts via bluetooth on my helmet speakers and can run both the GPS and my music together. When the direction prompts come they are only there for a couple of seconds and I'm returned back to my music.

Routes and tracks are built on my PC, stored in Dropbox and imported directly from Dropbox to my phone. I never have to worry about corrupted routes or tracks.

You can get a decent smart phone for about $40 off ebay. No need for a SIM card as you will not be accessing over the air data. Instead everything you need to do on the internet (loading maps, importing routes and tracks) can be done from WIFI. Most smart phones from ebay come with free shipping and then install your mapping programs for dedicated gps use.
Serx likes this.

Cheers,

Charlie

Last edited by TRZ Charlie; 07-11-2016 at 06:52 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think that stand alone GPS for surface travel is on it's way out. Tom Tom, Garmin and all of the others have dumbed them down so badly that they did this to themselves. None of the new ones except the Montana will allow you to shut off auto recalculation (recalculate when off route). That is stupid. We spend hours picking our route and building it in the route management tool of our choice. But when I hit a road closure with today's Garmins it recalculates that route and puts you off your gas, eats, hotels and points of interest that we have painstakingly researched and made waypoints for in our routes.

Just stupid as hell. So, instead they reroute automatically so that Ms. Soccer Mom can find the game field while she is smoking, texting, drinking a cup of tea, yelling at the kids and driving. Bravo Garmin.

Yeah, I am pissed at em. But damn, we did it to ourselves. So, enter my smart phone, Locus coupled with Brouter a voice navigation program, maps of the entire nation all for $14.00 PERIOD. Maps are always current because they update themselves, I don't have to $80 to get this years of City Navigator that has been outdated since 2001. Done, no more.

This mount (the one I ordered) is so good that guys go offroading on single track with their $600 phone mounted on the triple.

I paid cash for my phone and then bought replacement insurance for the reason I just cited. But the mount that i have coming will very likely cause me to cancel that insurance because I will not need it.

Someone above noted the ram X mount. I have it, I don't trust it and it vibrates too much to suite me.
saddlebag likes this.

Cheers,

Charlie

Last edited by TRZ Charlie; 07-11-2016 at 07:05 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
You can get a decent smart phone for about $40 off ebay.
Yeah, but will it be as waterproof and shockproof as your new gadget?
My wife just had to have a damn smartphone. Damn bill more than doubled. And now she can text the relatives rather than call. Whoopie!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:01 PM

Garage
I'll keep my Zumo 550 that i've had since 2010. Its been through terrible rain storms and survived a crash that sent it bouncing down the highway. Keeps on ticking. I hate smart phones and refuse to get one.
BEACHBUM likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
To each their own. Sooner or later you'll be dragged kicking and screaming into this century.
Beany likes this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 08:31 PM

I use my android to navigate on foot & in my truck but not on my bike. I really prefer to use my Garmin on the bike. The Garmin is rain resistant (waterproof to 3 m?) and is securely mounted. I bluetooth my phone, Garmin, & headset all together. The Garmin is pretty glove friendly and pretty visible in the rain and bright sun. Its mount also powers the unit so it is fully charged if I need to use it on foot.

My experience is that phones navigate better in some places, such as urban areas, but GPS units work better in the back country. "GPS enabled" may be a catch phrase and even can be true but a real GPS antenna draws a pretty good amount of power. I think you will find most phones that can navigate by GPS usually have that feature off until you enable it simply to conserve power. I prefer my phone stashed in a waterproof pouch in the tank bag for use as a phone. I can answer calls by headset or on the GPS unit with the Garmin stowed away.

To each his own I suppose.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

I have one foot in both worlds.

I recently replaced my cheap Garmin Nuvi with a widescreen, Cheap Garmin Nuvi. I got tired of moving GPS rigs from one bike to the other, so I bought another one for the Versys so it had it's own. I picked up the normally $89 Kawasaki-GPS holder for $49 on ebay, someone had one that was new-old stock. I had overlooked the fact that Kawasaki actually sold or distributed their own mount for a GPS, it's very well made.

I also run a Galaxy Note3 with LOCUS PRO maps if I am following .GPX file tracks or chasing trails someone else has 'marked' and shared with me. It's deadly (good) at that.

All that being said, I typically don't run around with both devices on the bars--- 70% of the time I can run with just the cheap Garmin and the phone stays in the tail box so as not to distract me or draw attention to itself.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 09:15 AM

Garage
I've already got the Bluetooth headset connected to my phone, I'm leaning towards stripping off the GPS that is on my bike and replacing it with a phone mount w/wireless charging.

In the phone vs GPS comparison, here is how I see it:

Advantages:

-Bluetooth
-Auto backlight adjustment (my garmin isn't readable when driving away from the sun at dawn/dusk)
-Automatic, Cheaper and more frequent map updates than a GPS
-Keeps phone charged while riding
-Combined music/phone/intercom/driving instructions
-Most people already own one

Disadvantages
-For non 'smartphone' people, its another tech gadget for them to not understand
-If your smartphone breaks, you loose everything.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 09:29 AM

Garage
Here's something else to think about, when having your phone mounted on the dash. If you get in an accident while you are traveling alone, you might not be able to easily reach your phone.

A few months ago I was lying in pain on the side of a rural highway. The driver who hit me left the scene. Luckily my ridding buddies were not far behind and they called emergency services for me.

I've since purchased a tiny pre-paid flip phone to leave in my jacket pocket, so I always have a phone on me even if my smart phone is charging in the tank bag or mounted on the dash or whatever.

Last edited by zirconx; 07-13-2016 at 09:33 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 11:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
To each their own. Sooner or later you'll be dragged kicking and screaming into this century.
Shush, you'll scare the luddites.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 01:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
Here's something else to think about, when having your phone mounted on the dash. If you get in an accident while you are traveling alone, you might not be able to easily reach your phone.

A few months ago I was lying in pain on the side of a rural highway. The driver who hit me left the scene. Luckily my ridding buddies were not far behind and they called emergency services for me.

I've since purchased a tiny pre-paid flip phone to leave in my jacket pocket, so I always have a phone on me even if my smart phone is charging in the tank bag or mounted on the dash or whatever.
On mountain bikes I learned that pockets and things in them don't always survive, nor can you always reach inside pockets after going down.

I tend to keep my pockets empty, so my phone is usually in my backpack or side bags.

My hope is my bluetooth stays on my helmet so I can quick call my #1 quick call if I go down.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My buddy Doc and I were riding in Southern Missouri and crossed a low water bridge. There was mere inches of water on the slab and to visible eye no slime on it. I made it across and Doc went down hard on his chest. He had his spot locator in the upper pocket of his riding jacket and broke several ribs as a result. When I tried to lift his XR it just kept sliding. I finally had to push it off the slab into the gravel to get enough footing to pick it up.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

The water cross story sounds familiar Charlie, only I didn't fall!

A route I was on a week ago had a trout stream that crossed the road (if you could call it a road) four times in 5.2 miles.

The water was moving, and was clear and cold as it was home to trout in the deep spots, but no funk or green stuff. I understand your story above-- about how standing water could be green/spunky and form slippery bits on rocks, etc.

Me on the Versys:

A ride chum on a Yamaha Super T:

We would not have been able to find this neat rural trail if someone had not shared and posted the . GPX file tracks for me to follow
on LOCUS MAP PRO on my phone.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got my parts this morning and installed them. Turns out that the when everything is bolted together it is very secure.

Yeah, I know it's crooked in this photo. It has since been corrected

I am also going to get black nylon standoffs because the entire dash, brackets and all are black. It was necessary to use the standoffs so that the tightening knob at the bottom of the holder could be accessed.

Power from my USB port.

Here is my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active mounted

unstable_rider and Turk like this.

Cheers,

Charlie

Last edited by TRZ Charlie; 07-14-2016 at 08:00 PM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 06:31 PM

Garage
Looks good. What is the knob shown in the last photo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode