Relocated my driving lights today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Relocated my driving lights today

I started out with my lights mounted here

I was never happy with this arrangement. First they were prone to moving presumably because of the vibrations from the forks (even with running a rubber strip beneath the fork tube mount brackets). Second, if you must trail the bike then your lamps interfere with attachment of strap loops to the lower triple. I had to loosen and move the lamps when doing this.

So, I was tinkering with ideas for moving the lamps without the purchase of a special $90 bracket and and found that I could mount them on the lowering fairings. All it requires is a longer mounting bolt (1 1/4") and a Nylon spacer (1/2" long and 1/4" in diameter) and a star washer.

What you do is remove the bolt from the fairing and then in order stack the hardware by re-using the shoulder washer, add the nylon standoff, add the lighting bracket, place the star washer on top of the bracket and then run the new bolt in. The star washer will prevent the lamp bracket from loosening. Done. You will find that the mounting is now rock solid and the nylon standoff will prevent harmonic vibration.

The lights are Model 30 LED off road Spot light - ADVmonster

I do need to take an evening ride and readjust them for height and inboard/outboard.

Cheers,

Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TRZ Charlie; 07-03-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2016, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Looks great. I might try this location too. I'm also looking at the Denali light bar.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
did you try wrapping a peace of rubber like from an inter tube wrapped around the fork under the mounts? i did that on mine (and anything i have to try to mount to round and metal things (like my camera mounts) it will keep them from moving around on you

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Old 07-05-2016, 07:22 AM

Kawasaki oem light bar with PIAA RFT LED lights ( oem lights for 2015 on) The best lights on any bike I've had
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1467717665386.jpg (12.4 KB, 128 views)
Old 07-05-2016, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post

I do need to take an evening ride and readjust them for height and inboard/outboard.
Steady on there Charlie, going out in the evenings in Arkansas can be a dodgy(risky) pastime!!!
Old 07-05-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I managed to get them adjusted on the evening of the 3rd. Had to do it three different times because cagers kept flashing their brights at me. ...

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 07-06-2016, 07:04 AM

If they flash their lights at me , I just wave back. At least you know they've seen you
Old 07-06-2016, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
If they flash their lights at me , I just wave back. At least you know they've seen you
Oh you scrumpy drinkers are such hooligans!!!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 AM

I don't know what you mean ???
Old 07-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
I don't know what you mean ???
Sorry Darren, l was assuming that you had a sense of humour, I do apologise for making such misguided assumptions...........
Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 PM

Mounting a set of advmonster 20's the same way....thanks for the info.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo64 View Post
Mounting a set of advmonster 20's the same way....thanks for the info.
I think you will like the result. Kinda stands out differently than other bikes with driving lights. Instead of a short triangle it is a larger one. I like the way it illuminates the edges of the road from that angle.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 07-08-2016, 10:20 AM

directly to the fairing, they're really impressive too...and only $25 from china plus a like $9 waterproof switch.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
I think you will like the result. Kinda stands out differently than other bikes with driving lights. Instead of a short triangle it is a larger one. I like the way it illuminates the edges of the road from that angle.
Used for the first time coming home from work...off at midnight. Holy cow what a difference versus just the headlight. I'll never go without them again.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:57 AM

My2wheels I didn't take offence , I meant to put a smiley face on my reply. Sorry dude?????
Old 07-09-2016, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
directly to the fairing, they're really impressive too...and only $25 from china plus a like $9 waterproof switch.
Nice look, although they do stick out some. One dirt nap and they are probably snapped off..

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Old 07-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Nice look, although they do stick out some. One dirt nap and they are probably snapped off..
No doubt. I'll get engine guards some day. Again, at $25, I'm not gonna worry about it and I kinda like the goggle eye look.
AlaskaJeff likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
No doubt. I'll get engine guards some day. Again, at $25, I'm not gonna worry about it and I kinda like the goggle eye look.
Do you have any full view pictures of your bike?

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

Old 07-14-2016, 10:35 AM

Not with the new kit, no.

Pretty sure I'm gonna murder it out soon though, I think a fully matte black Versys would be beast.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Not with the new kit, no.

Pretty sure I'm gonna murder it out soon though, I think a fully matte black Versys would be beast.
I fully agree.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4722.jpg (100.4 KB, 62 views)

2011 ADVersys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in