different mirrors? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
different mirrors?

I just bought a new 2009 versys and love it i had to lower it cause im only 5'6" and barley touch and now its perfect ecxept i cant stand those mirrors. Anyone have others that look a little better? and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Z-1000 mirrors look great on the v and work way better. you can get those at www.cheapcycleparts.com look up 20008 Z-1000
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

great thanks ill check that out

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM

Some, including myself, use Bar-end mirrors ( CRG or knock-offs ). Being and old cyclist, I was used to looking down to look behind and they don't shake at all.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 PM

there is 10 pairs of Z1000 mirrors on e-bay now for $34./pair. Not a bad deal.

HERE

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorvtguy View Post
Some, including myself, use Bar-end mirrors ( CRG or knock-offs ). Being and old cyclist, I was used to looking down to look behind and they don't shake at all.
+1

I bought some on ebay for about $60. I liked them so much I just ordered another pair for my XR650 supermoto. No vibration at all and look so much better in my view than anything else out there.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Mirror removal problem...

Wow!! Does Kawasaki use super Lock-Tite to hold the stock
mirrors on!! Try as we might couldn't budge the top nut loose
from the bottom one that holds the mirror stalk in place.

Was afraid to pull on the wrench any further as would likely
round off the corner of the top nut. How did you get that bugger off!!
:
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave from sunny Eastern Oregon
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:52 AM

I had the same problem. Ended up unscrewing the whole works and used a vise to hold one of the nuts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 AM

So along the same lines, I saw a couple things I'd like to get when I swap out my mirrors. One is the rubber vibration dampeners, and the other was the extenders.

Where do I find those and how well do they work? With a 56" chest, all I see is the zipper vents in my jacket sleves.

Can someone post a pic of one of the Z-1000 mirrors and a stock mirror stacked so we can see the difference in arm length and viewable surface area please?

Last edited by alex182; 10-04-2010 at 02:04 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
I just bought a new 2009 versys and love it i had to lower it cause im only 5'6" and barley touch and now its perfect ecxept i cant stand those mirrors. Anyone have others that look a little better? and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
Mack

I found the same problem with the Versys when I first got it. I tried extenders but it didn't do it for me. I saw one V locally with KTM mirrors and that was it, that's what I got and they are great. Clear all the time and plenty of view behind. They have been discussed on the forum previously. If you are interested, I think I can find.... I'm pretty sure these are the part numbers I have for the parts and a suggested prices:

KTM mirrors/parts
58412040050 support (2 needed) 17.00/ea
61112040000 L/S 07 29.73
61112041000 R/S 07 29.73

You wil definitely need the supports. The mirrors have left hand threads and the supports serve as the adaptors and weights.

These have worked well for me.

Frog
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 PM

Frog - you have any Pictures of the KTM mirrors on the bike?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:13 PM

smedv

I do, but seem to be unable to post pictures to the forum. I tried looking for some hints on how to post them but just ended up in circles.

SO, I've sent you a PM with my email addy. Give me an email and I'll send you some pix. If you want you may post them to the forum.

Frog
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:50 PM

Go to ZRXOA.ORG and pick up a pair of used ZRX mirrors. Prolly just pay for shipping. I have them, much wider view and hardly any vibes. Look the nads, too. IMHO.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamafrog View Post
smedv

I do, but seem to be unable to post pictures to the forum. I tried looking for some hints on how to post them but just ended up in circles.

SO, I've sent you a PM with my email addy. Give me an email and I'll send you some pix. If you want you may post them to the forum.

Frog
Do you have a shot of the old and new stacked by chance? I've never found one that really shows just how much longer/steeper/taller the z1000's are compared to the stock.

For posting pictures, you can't use the quick post and the file size has to be pretty small. Manage Photos --> Browse --> point the explorer at the photo file --> hit Upload --. Wait for it --> Submit/preview post.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamafrog View Post
smedv

Frog
Here are some pics Frog emailed me of his KTM Mirrors. They look great and I may have to give them a try. Had to resize them pretty small due to site limits.

thanks to Frog for the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirrors 2010 015 copy.jpg (70.4 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Mirrors 2010 017 copy.jpg (64.2 KB, 353 views)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedv View Post
Here are some pics Frog emailed me of his KTM Mirrors. They look great and I may have to give them a try. Had to resize them pretty small due to site limits.

thanks to Frog for the pics.
NICE!!!!! I like those. Where did he get the green windscreen???Does it come blue???
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex182 View Post
Do you have a shot of the old and new stacked by chance? I've never found one that really shows just how much longer/steeper/taller the z1000's are compared to the stock.

For posting pictures, you can't use the quick post and the file size has to be pretty small. Manage Photos --> Browse --> point the explorer at the photo file --> hit Upload --. Wait for it --> Submit/preview post.
Alex

I don't have any currently, but could possibly take one. However, we were talking about the KTM mirrors, not the z1000's.

Thanks for the hints to post pix. I'll have to give it a test.

Frog
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
NICE!!!!! I like those. Where did he get the green windscreen???Does it come blue???
Alex

Here goes with a couple of pix showing the original mirrors (albeit with extenders from Speedy) along with one of the pix that Smedv posted. With any luck they should be attached.

The pix with the original mirrors is also a slightly different angle

The green windscreen is a cut down (reshaped edges) ZX9 that I stretched over the mounting brackets when I gave up on all other screens I had tried. It is not perfect, either in it's mounting or in it's ability, but the best so far.

Frog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 2009 009 forum.jpg (30.1 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Mirrors 2010 015 forum.jpg (32.4 KB, 209 views)
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 PM

So I can't tell if it's the angle, but it looks like the stock mirrors + extenders are the same width as the KTM's. Is that about right?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
So I can't tell if it's the angle, but it looks like the stock mirrors + extenders are the same width as the KTM's. Is that about right?
Yes, Alex, you are right. I admit I had to run down and dig up the old mirrors and extenders to check for sure.

The nice part of the swap was the KTM mirrors have had no vibration for me and they are about 1 inch lower at the ends. This really works for me. Add that they are much easier to adjust (for me) and they stay in place is wonderful.

One of my orig mirrors exploded when I was trying to tighten it up inside that wonderful little bell. That mirror never did stay in place, no matter what I did.

Frog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode