"Storm" rear Hugger - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Chuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
"Storm" rear Hugger

Wanted to try a rear hugger on my V, as it gets STUPID dirty back in the shock/muffler/swingarm area whenever it so much as crosses a damp spot in the road.
Maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but we are going to see.

I really wanted a hugger like the Skidmarx ones, with the chain guard made into the piece, but I am too cheap a bastard to spring for it.
I found the "Storm" hugger on ebay, used the "Make an offer" button and we worked out a deal. I got a good price, but I think there is a lot of room in the shipping costs (It can't really cost $60 to get it here from Thailand, but I could be wrong). I did get it in about 10 days, so that was nice.

The hugger is Fiberglass, not plastic, and has a nice look to it...

It took about an hour to mount on the bike. A lot of stretching, wiggling and some small clearancing with a dremel tool was required to get it in position. It is not a "slap it right on" perfect fit. It takes some "massaging" to get it right. If you do not have any experience with fiberglass pieces, you might run out of patience very quickly!

Obviously mounts with the screws for the chain guard on the left side...

I ended up having to do these last... and FYI, a few packages of 1/4" nylon washers from Lowes are your best friend when it comes to screws holding fiberglass in place...

The right front corner uses a screw hole with a rubber "plug" in the threads. It was not fun getting that bugger out!

The first place I had to modify with the dremel is above the weld, about 2 inches from that screw location.
In the end, that screw still needed a couple of washers between the hugger and the swingarm, or else tightening it all the way down would put too much stress on the glass.

Final mounting on the right side is between the brake line bracket and the inner side of the swingarm, under a 10mm bolt.

Getting this bolt in with the tire still in place is tricky...

I do like the way it looks...

But the chain guard part of the molding is a little bit too thin, and it doesn't line up properly with the chain and sprockets...

It wants to sit a bit "crooked".

Not a big problem for me, as I will have it back off in a day or two and I will put some more cloth and resin underneath to strengthen that part and straighten it out.

All in all, I think it is an ok part, and with a little work will be perfect, but if you don't enjoy the DIY part of it, save yourself some headache and spend a bit more money.
Colr likes this.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 06:21 AM

Good find, it will be interesting to see if you can improve the 'crooked' aspect of the guard.

I don't think I would want to deal with that, thanks for posting.

I do like the matte finish of the OEM chain guard, and would spring for the GIVI piece if I could find it.

I like the coverage of the Skidmarx unit, looks like it comes over the top of the tire.
Not sure if I want to spring for that. I'm sure the CF would be nice but.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:47 AM

Garage
Nice. I put a Givi guard on mine. Definitely cost A LOT more than your piece but it bolted right on no issues whatsoever. The Givi looks square cut compared to your rounded look (which I think the rounded edge fits the bike better).

In any case, the Givi's a solid hugger and I'm pleased with it as you should be with yours. Good job!

Binderline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:18 PM

I had a Pyramid hugger on my '14 but it cracked and fell apart on the first rough gravel I encountered. Lying in bits in the garage now.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 11:04 AM

Tour & Ride has them in stock, and I believe they are the retail arm of the importer for Givi. $112.50 with free shipping (3 days to PHX), bolts in perfectly first time in under 15 minutes and I left the OEM chain guard in place below the hugger. It seems all versys (and most motorcycle) accessories are priced pretty much as custom parts, and hard to pry open the wallet for $100 for a dollar's worth of plastic. But if this is anything like the flawless Givi windshield long term, the sting of high price will wear off quickly in the face of high quality fit and finish.

IMO, if you have the dough, Givi is a worthy choice.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
Tour & Ride has them in stock, (Givi)
I appreciate the tip, and I have to second the shout out to Tour & Ride. Came in three days and fit was perfect. What's not to like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode