So I had a boo boo - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
So I had a boo boo

Well I was off work today and bored so I figured I'd do some putzing around town and I did. Downtown is a valley so we have two little hilly mountain things on each side, and its nice riding. One has hairpin turns I've done a hundred times. The other side has nice scenic stops. I've done both many times. Just not with the Versys yet.

So I ride up one and get the hair brained idea, for the first time ever, to stop at one of the hairpin turns and park and get a nice picture. Sounds reasonable right. Well I stop nicely of course, but I'm not quite used to the tip toe height yet, coupled with the hairturn leaning in towards itself (my right); as I stopped, the bike immediately -slowly- goes to the right, and by the time I finally flat foot it, I'm leaning a bit, coupled with the hairpin's right lean, I'm quite far right leaning. Now mix this with my right arm/shoulder is still very weak from my accident- I just couldn't save it, I had it all but stopped, but couldn't bring it back up. So it goes down, gently on its right side.

I cuss, kickstand down, somehow it was outa gear so put it back in first, lift it back up. No real damage but the damned turn signal pushed into the plastic cowl piece where its housed. So $203 later, it'll come in a few days to a week. Just my pride now.

So now I have way more resolve to look into this suspension set up. I've read a few articles on how to do it properly, with the three heights. Maybe it'll sink a bit so I can flat foot it. I've read so many different things. Right now its at whatever stock setting may be, and sinks none-at-all when I sit on it.

Anyhoo, pics After I set it back on two wheels, of course. Oh and BTW, if anyone ever wandered. The 2015 Versys 650 ABS black and white. The right side cowl piece that the turn signal is mounted to, is 55028N 55028-0516-660 COWLING,SIDE,RH,M.S.BLACK. Or magnetic sparkles black. Since the other one, is called Ebony. At least according to Kawasaki.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0610161058.jpg (126.1 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 0610161059.jpg (125.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 0610161143.jpg (61.9 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by MrSchaeferPants; 06-10-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
https://motowerk.com/collections/kaw...nt=15694237955

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Don't feel too bad. We have ALL had one of those moments in our life. Live and learn. It does sound like a lowering kit should be in your future and also a rehab plan to gain strength after your injury. The pics are nice, pretty spot. Maybe skip the $203 and push the other side in the same way, it sort of gives a trimmer look to the bike.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ouch!!!!!
We've all done it, & I dropped mine within a week of buying it because of my stupidity & the stupid side stand configuration.....

PS, l know those hairpins, they're on the way up to the viewing tower aren't they?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've seen that kit, read about it here somewhere. I've also read after a while, it kinda just settles down to. Also read adjusting the front and rear suspension would give it a bit of squish down when I sit on it. I'ma start gradually before buying a lowering kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Don't feel too bad. We have ALL had one of those moments in our life. Live and learn. It does sound like a lowering kit should be in your future and also a rehab plan to gain strength after your injury. The pics are nice, pretty spot. Maybe skip the $203 and push the other side in the same way, it sort of gives a trimmer look to the bike.
The piece is already bought. I kinda need a front turn signal mounted and visible Its kinda 'sitting' in place, I think a lot of riding would make it fall out. I do think I needa take it a lot slower. This tip toe thing I'm not fond of. And my arm needs a lot of work.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:22 PM

Sorry to hear of the mishap - they can happen so quickly. Those turns look fun, though. Living in the flatland, I'm curious at what speed can you take those turns?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:32 PM

Garage
Since the wallet is out and open, go get some crash bars!

These are what I have, they're quite minimal but have definitely saved the bike from potential damage on the odd drop or three .

Reliable Crashbar for Kawasaki Versys 650, Protection for your motorbike.

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:51 PM

Garage
Bummer! Been there done that. Glad it wasn't a moving spill and only pride was injured.
Mike
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 06:41 PM

Garage
Yep we have all done it. I have crash bars and BarkBusters which take the brunt of the fall. Never damaged the bike.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I dropped my '15 V650 twice at zero mph. Once in the garage, once in a parking lot. Both times on the right side, and cracked the fairing.

So I bought some R&G Racing micro turn signals. Other brands are available. These are only 1/2 the length of the factory turn signals, so they won't hit the pavement when the bike gets dropped. I posted a thread on the mod forum on the installation. You'll need a couple of cheap plastic adapter plates and if you get LED signals you'll need load resistors so the flasher works properly.

I highly recommend this kind of mod.

And FYI, good superglue (from a hobby store) will repair the cracked fairing. IT won't hide the damage but it will bond the cracks back together.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I glanced at those crash bars a few days ago, I think I'm about to get real serious about buying them now. Their website shows € 159,95, and other searches for local suppliers have em at $218 and $239 at Revzilla. Also other places say 07- so I imagine that's up until 2014. Revzilla has it labled as 2015-16. I dunno how it would work buying straight from the sw-motech website if they ship to the US? But from them its $180usd or there abouts. Guess I can email them.

Oh and I'd love to check the bars out on TwistedThrottle cause it seems they're a vendor here... but like a lot of the stuff I look at on their page, those bars pop up as a page error on their website.

Last edited by MrSchaeferPants; 06-11-2016 at 09:03 AM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:37 AM

Garage
That stinks! Pulled a stupid move myself last week and dropped mine to the left. Luckily was able to save the bike without any damage at the expense of my left hamstring. Still hurts like a mofo!!!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:15 PM

Remember kids..... it's not yours until you put that first scratch or dent in it

I hate when I break something on anything I own... but I find that I forget about it after a day or two and all it well.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:22 PM

Garage
Get the bars from Revzilla or Twisted Throttle and start an account. They give you cash back on future purchases. I buy from both but prefer Revzilla due to the speedy delivery and better customer service. Getting the crash bars will almost insure that you will never drop your bike again
Mike
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
that's called a floppy..btdt more than once...I finally found a pair of boots with a thick enough sole and the right safety parts (thick soled boots are easy enough to get..but ones with ankle and shin protection..other than motocross boots (ugh)..are hard to get) so that I'm flat footed (lowered suspension and seat already)...makes a big difference..no more floppies...our bikes are naturally top heavy..once you're past a certain degree..she's going down...I strained the heck out of my side once saying "oh no..not this time"..I'm just too short legged and it was that time..lol...

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abramsgunner View Post
Remember kids..... it's not yours until you put that first scratch or dent in it

I hate when I break something on anything I own... but I find that I forget about it after a day or two and all it well.
That is why they get sold after 4 years. Never really mine.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:31 PM

Yep, been there done that (repeatedly with the Bandit 1200, so far not on the Versys - knock on wood!)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
that's called a floppy
No .... this is a floppy

Well to be accurate 3 floppys
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchaeferPants View Post
I glanced at those crash bars a few days ago, I think I'm about to get real serious about buying them now. Their website shows 159,95, and other searches for local suppliers have em at $218 and $239 at Revzilla. Also other places say 07- so I imagine that's up until 2014. Revzilla has it labled as 2015-16. I dunno how it would work buying straight from the sw-motech website if they ship to the US? But from them its $180usd or there abouts. Guess I can email them.

Oh and I'd love to check the bars out on TwistedThrottle cause it seems they're a vendor here... but like a lot of the stuff I look at on their page, those bars pop up as a page error on their website.
By all means shop around for the best product/price. Even talk to your dealer and get a quote from them.
Install is easy btw. 4 torx screws and ... that's it.

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode