Why are H&B Bars better than the SW-Motech? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Why are H&B Bars better than the SW-Motech?

I realize there are going to be pros and cons to both sides but through my reading most people have recommended the H&B bars over the SWM. My questions is why is that? The SWM bars seem to cover more and in my opinion look better. However I'm buying the guards for function first looks second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The pictures below if from a Singapore V. Direct hit with a SUV and the bar took the impact with a slight dent. That's why I went for H & B.

Hope this helps.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Laid it down at 50mph, and look where most of the damage was.

HB sums up nicely in 2 words. Radiator Protection.

SWM just would not have protected as well as the HB.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SI ride and crash (2).jpg (163.8 KB, 385 views)

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

Last edited by Red Herring; 09-08-2010 at 11:27 AM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 PM

Somewhere here on the Forum, someone mentioned that their SW-Motech cracked (and broke I think) from just riding - apparently caused by vibration. They were having problems getting the dealer to repace the broken bar - promises, but no action.

No such problems ever mentioned about the H&B bars. And, they work very well for me; including a lay-down at 45 mph.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Scroll down and read the thread started by Manganos - that's the one I was talking about.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 05:50 PM

Yes, and sw stepped up and next day shipped my replacement. The person handling my warranty claim was in a mc accident hence the delay. My vote swm.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 PM

I need to install one of them, so if we could get feedback from those that have used/installed both and can objectively compare, that would help.

Posting that 'my (fill in brand) worked for me in a crash' is fine, but does nothing to help us compare.

I was going with SWM because I like the mounting better and they have better coverage for the motor. The radiator is higher up and is still going to be protected. Obviously the HB vertical bar is going to protect the radiator better.

I think most of us are looking for something that will keep things intact after a lay down so we can keep going and not suffer a lot of damage to the body work, or tear a hole in the engine cover(s).

Thanks!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 PM

HB bars have saved my V three times! The last time was a lay down at about 45 mph in the dirt. Sand it off, rattle can it, and it is good as new. The plastic housing that holds the front left turn signal shattered because the housing sticks out in front of the HB bar. The turn signal was protected and the lense never broke.

Between these bars and the grip protectors (Cerbis) kept most areas of the bike and my hands protected. No levers bent or broken. Don't know how different the two are, but get one...they are definitely worth it.

Krazo - ride every day there's traction!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 PM

i bought sw mainly for driveway or slow tip over faster than that i'll let the insurance man worry about it, thats what he's for.point is get one or the other now
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:18 AM

I have yet to see pictures of a lay down with SWM bars. I would be interested to see some.

People say that the SW will protect the engine case better, and that might be so, but from what I have seen and experienced, the Versys lays down higher up. The fairing and radiator take most of the impact. In my laydown, the engine case was not touched. I think the motor is narrow enough that it avoids contact when the bike goes down.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazo View Post
HB bars have saved my V three times! The last time was a lay down at about 45 mph in the dirt. Sand it off, rattle can it, and it is good as new. The plastic housing that holds the front left turn signal shattered because the housing sticks out in front of the HB bar. The turn signal was protected and the lense never broke.

Between these bars and the grip protectors (Cerbis) kept most areas of the bike and my hands protected. No levers bent or broken. Don't know how different the two are, but get one...they are definitely worth it.
Yeah, +1, particularly if you choose to ride when there's not a lot of traction, like Krazo (see his signature, obviously he chooses poorly)

I guess I'm biased like anyone else who bought bars. My choice was SWM. (I haven't scuffed mine yet) Both look fine, what the Hell do I care what anyone buys anyway?

V-Zee

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 09-09-2010 at 12:39 AM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
In my laydown, the engine case was not touched.
I have only case damage on the left, and different damage on the right.
Both the guards are [email protected] But, that's just my opinion. Not worth a fart in a hurricane.

I'm just wondering if anyone besides me has actually written to the companies and asked for a better product, instead of arguing about it on the internet.

While you guys are arguing your brand loyalty, BMW's and VStroms are scooting around with full armor.
So.... you know.... thanks for that....

Edit:
Dear SWMotech, Make your engine guards not suck. Signed, X Thousand People and their money

versus:
Dear Versys Forum, Blah blah opinion blah. Signed, Everybody

Last edited by Wladziu; 09-09-2010 at 01:25 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I didn't intend to open a can a worms but apparently I did. Good info on both sides. I have to agree somewhat with Wladziu as I think neither does the best job of protection. I guess I'm looking for the lesser of two evils.

Wladziu you would probably have better luck finding a third manufacturer to produce a better bar than have the existing two change their design.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wladziu View Post
While you guys are arguing your brand loyalty, BMW's and VStroms are scooting around with full armor.
So.... you know.... thanks for that....
From what I have read, the SWM are to be avoided with the DL bikes. They say HB or GIVI are the way to go. Personally, I like the GIVI on the Stroms. Good coverage, and they look nice. BMW GS adventures sure have it going on in terms of coverage. Maybe a little overkill for what most of us use our V's for, but unquestionable protection!

This isn't personal bias because i bought HB, it's personal experience from having crashed. I know people get brand loyal and all emotional about their stuff, but if I thought SWM worked better, i would say so. I do wish the HB were slightly wider, but whatever.

Anything is better than nothing. I am glad I bought HB, but I wouldn't be sorry had I bought the SWM either. It's like exhausts. Buy what you like. They all do the same thing... more or less.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I have yet to see pictures of a lay down with SWM bars.
Well there's your answer: SWM is better, because once you mount them, you don't go down.

I'm following this thread with interest, because I would like to see if we can determine which one is better.

I chose SWM bars because they look better and I reasoned that it is rather important to protect the engine cases well. But if it is really true that those don't get touched anyway and the radiator takes the brunt, perhaps I should have gone with HB.

However, there is a chance that the shape and higher location of the HB bars causes the V to roll further during a slide and make the radiator take more of the impact.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Last weekend, after filling up with gas, I parked my V and went inside the store.

I came back out to find my V laying on the ground. It had blown over (a combination of the too-thick foot I had added to the sidestand and a full gas tank and an uneven parking lot and strong wind and careless parking).

Unfortunately I had parked right next to a guard rail to the right of my V. The end of the guard rail smashed into the side of my fairing, breaking the fairing and dashboard and bending the fairing bracket to the left by a couple inches or more. Then the bike fell down flat on the ground.

If it hadn't been for the guard rail, I think the damage would have been inconsequential. Between my SWM bars and the handlebars with KTM handguards, there were NO marks on the radiator covers or the wide part of the fairing beside the tank. There was a small mark on the SWM bars, and some light scratches on my mirror and handguard.

So, I learned that in a tipover, the SWM bars and handlebars are sufficient to protect the radiator and fairing...as long as you don't hit some other immovable object.

Pictures show damage, followed by a few hours repair time. I have a new fairing panel on the way.

I trust the SWM bars.

By the way, I had a FULL tank of gas when it fell over (I fill up well into the neck), and not a drop spilled. The bike was probably laying there for at least 5 minutes.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2581.JPG (375.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2582.JPG (331.6 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2580.JPG (337.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2584.JPG (387.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2585.JPG (336.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2583.JPG (335.4 KB, 99 views)
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verstehenzee View Post
>snip
...what the hell do i care what anyone buys anyway?
then don't post in this thread

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:57 AM

What a shame, Michael.
It's one of those stupid hurts.

I don't think that HB are significantly better. Otherwise I would've chosen those when I was purchasing.
I remember I researched the subject thoroughly and decided on SWM.
Don't remember why, though.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
>snip
I came back out to find my V laying on the ground. >snip
That's a drag man. I would be pissed for sure.

Barkbusters are on my shortlist too.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
then don't post in this thread
I apologize, Chris, I understand things are really uptight in the Republik of Kalifornia. You have every reason to be tense. Feel free to take it out on me, I can handle it.

Your friend,

V-Zee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode