Decalectomy? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By TRZ Charlie
  • 1 Post By BayouVersys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Decalectomy?

My habit is to remove most factory decals pronto when I get a new bike. On the 2015 650, has anyone removed the tank surround/fairing decals and/or swingarm decals? Any issues? I'm guessing the tank surround/fairing decals aren't under the clear-coat, but would hate to be wrong. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 08:40 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
mines not a 2015 but a 08 and i have all mine removed, just peel them off on a hot day and or hit them with a heat gun

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:30 PM

Garage
I have removed all decals from my 2015. Decals on plastics are not clear-coated, and are easily removed with a hair drier. Stickers on swingarm are more difficult, but come off with patience - I used heat, goo-gone, and a credit card to scrape.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:00 PM

I have a 2015. My tank fairing decals removed clean and easy with my spouse's hair dryer. I admit I was nervous that I would regret the bare naked tank.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:07 PM

I also remove of them. Really helps when flashing your light to get somebody to move over. I ride with a white x12 helmet wearing black and gray with a bright yellow safe vest.! They think I am a cop!! (suckers).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

I stripped all mine when I refinished the bike (2008 model). I didn't think the stock graphics were anything special, and they seemed expensive to replace.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:44 AM

Garage
Debadging as it's called with vehicles has been a practice of mine for most of my vehicles and bikes. The best part of it is when you pull into a parking lot somewhere and someone notices your bike and then gets this puzzled look on their face. They look closely at your bike for a bit and then always ask "OK, what kind of bike is this?"

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Agreed!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Garage
Debadging is easy on these bikes as the decals are not clear coated over. I just used a heat gun on medium and initially heated the decal over it's entire length and then started peeling it from on corner. If residue stays behind as you are peeling, then you are peeling too fast.

You need to find a balance between the amount of heat (to much and you'll melt plastic) and the speed with which you are pulling off the decal. Just get it hot enough that it's uncomfortable to your touch.

Before

After

Cheers,

Charlie

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

+1 Charlie!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Garage
I know this may freak some people out but over the years I've removed a lot of factory and AM decals off bikes. If you have some glue residue left, the best thing I've used to get it off is a little bit of gas (petrol) on a cotton rag. Works like magic and the glue doesn't start to get gooey and smear everywhere like some other solvents I've tried. Just a suggestion when the time comes.
unstable_rider likes this.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode