Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Kawi Bag Trim

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  greidel 
#1 ·
according to both the kawi site and my dealer the Kawi/givi bags are no longer on back-order and are now available. So:

1) does anyone have any experience with them?
2) Do you NEED the "trim kit" or is that only to get the pieces that match the bike's color? I would be fine with just black but the kawi site says "requires trim kit" so I am curious.

Thanks,
David

#2 ·
David,

I beleive you need the trim kit. My Versys is 07 orange one, and the saddle bags were already on it and matched with the orange trim. When I got the bike, they gave me the set of black trims as well. I can't tell you if the bags came with the black and they ordered the orange, or it comes with both.

I'm not much help, but I thought I'd let you know that whether you want a coloured bag or a black bag. They are both a fit in "trim" piece.

#3 ·
I just got my Kawa/Givi sidecases today from the dealer (I'm in Utah, USA) and did not order the trim kit because I wasn't convinced it was necessary. The answer is that no, you don't NEED them, but there is definitely a piece missing. If you just buy the "Hard Saddlebag Set" (http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/Accessories2/PCItemDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=K161600005 ), they don't come with ANY trim - the case is recessed where the trim goes. And that means that the "reflector" doesn't stay on. It looks like it's held on by the trim.

I'm wondering if, instead of buying the Versys branded cases, I should have just bought the GIVI branded ones. By time I buy a trim kit, both the GIVI branded and Versys branded cases will cost the same, and I could have just ordered black ones from the start.

So Okanagan Rider, are you interested in selling your black trim? I don't want red trim. I am considering painting the bike black, and wish black was an available color here in the USA so I could have bought that one!

I just bought the bike on Monday!!! Woo hoo! After reading another thread, I'm worried about whether or not I have the correct rack pieces. I ordered the Kawi side brackets, so I'm hoping it's going to work. Seems like there is still a lot of confusion amongst the dealers regarding what's what. As far as I can tell from asking around, I think my bike is the first Versys my dealer has sold. So they're still learning about it.

Anyway, good luck David, and let us know what you end up doing.

Jen

#4 ·
I ordered the Kawasaki OEM bags and they came in last week. And like others around the country, the trim kit came in black instead of the red I ordered. Has anyone successfully recieved red trim pieces? Does any one know the story behind this mix-up? Will red ever be available?

#5 ·
I spoke to Kawasaki Consumer Service yesterday and they told me that yes, gloss black is the only color available in the US. The red trim set pictured in the catalogue was a "one-off" and they don't know why it was used for the catalogue photo shoot. The red trim deosn't exist. It is not available, and there are no plans to make it available. Americans can't get red trim because the trim pieces only come in colors that the motorcycle comes in in Europe. The service representative that I spoke to said that he has requested a bulletin be issued correcting the catalogue, but Kawasaki hasn't issued one.

This is awful service from Kawasaki. It's bad enough that we have no choice in color for the bike, but then they won't even produce accessories for it.

I asked my dealer about the matte silver from Givi, and he said it would be 8 weeks. I took delivery of the black, but I am angry about it. I feel like I've been swindled. :mad::mad::mad:

#6 ·
I just got the OEM saddle bags myself, and yes they had the black trim cover pieces. I took mine down to the local custom bike paint shop and had them painted red to match. The bags are very nice, big enough to hold a small laptop computer and my other work stuff. My only complaint about them is that you have to have a key in it to open it and close it.

#10 ·
versysguy,

Great looking bike you've got there; and I like the handlebar protectors too. You guys are taking all my ideas and putting them on your bikes but I still have a few that none of you have thus far. Of course that might change by the time I am able to afford my bike; you know they are selling like hotcakes and I'm worried that none will be available when it's my time to shine.

Oh well, I guess I can take off the bike I have now and get my new Versys sometime early next spring. I could just go with a BMW F650 but then I'll have to join they're forum but I like this since you all seem so nice. :D

Happy trails versysguy and thanks for sharing.

#11 ·
versysguy,

Great looking bike you've got there; and I like the handlebar protectors too. You guys are taking all my ideas and putting them on your bikes but I still have a few that none of you have thus far. Of course that might change by the time I am able to afford my bike; you know they are selling like hotcakes and I'm worried that none will be available when it's my time to shine.

Oh well, I guess I can take off on the bike I have now and get my new Versys sometime early next spring. I could just go with a BMW F650 but then I'll have to join they're forum but I like this since you all seem so nice. :D

Happy trails versysguy and thanks for sharing.

#15 ·
Yeah: cancel the order and get the GIVI version instead. Without the red trim, the only thing that sets apart the OEM ones are the little Versys name plate, which is tiny anyway. IMO, not worth waiting for. There is a difference in the mounting racks, but I'm not sure how much. I think the OEM ones save width, but at the cost of being incompatible with the OEM top box. But I'm not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.