Cutting the stock windscreen - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cutting the stock windscreen

Has anyone cut their stock windscreen before?

I tried the screen upside down and really like it, but the one end of the screen is actually covering a portion of my headlight. I was thinking of cutting it.

What kind of saw would you use to cut that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I drilled holes in a stock shield and a Givi with no issues. If i were going to cut one I'd use a Dremel. Since you have on old shield you might want to practice on that if you have any doubts.
josucksbuena likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage

I rode with the stock shield flipped and in the lowest position for a long time. The little bit of reflection never bothered me and I thought it looked and worked fine.

Most of the time now I used the cut down stock screen in the photo. I cut it with a Dremmel. It was tricky because the cut off wheel melts the screen too, but it worked out ok. Needed some sanding and any imperfections are pretty much hidden by the fact I painted the back side black. If you paint, learn from my rookie error and mask the whole front. I got some overspary on the front corners so they are not as smooth as I'd like, have a bit of texture.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 05-27-2016 at 12:37 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
hack saw. also put down some tape on your cut line to help reduce the chances of cracking

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbottJ1 View Post
Has anyone cut their stock windscreen before?

What kind of saw would you use to cut that?...
I used an electric jig-saw on LOW speed after putting duct-tape onto BOTH sides of the cut, then cleaned-up the cut-line w/ files, then used sand-paper to finish smoothing the edges. Here's a pic of the Majesty windscreen I 'modded' for EACH of my Gen is - LOTS of cuts...!

and mounted.

BTW - it's available FOR SALE to fit Gen 1s. PM me....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode