Versys ..... Cheap/easy Comfy Butt - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys ..... Cheap/easy Comfy Butt

Yep , I find the Versys seat to be yet another torture deivce , although only about 20% as bad as the stock KLR seat that is now a dust collector .
I really was sort of cringing at the thought of dishing out somewhere in the 400 dollar range for another custom seat . I did some poking around for beaded seats which I have never used . I found the BeadRider seat so I thought I would give it a shot , but with a little extra added shade tree design .
I could NOT get BeadRider on the phone , so I ordered the BeadRider from this resaler and i tgot here pretty darn quick too . http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...FQvOIgodNi3WqA .
I also had a big piece of fatigue matt that I had gottne from Lowes ( unfortunately is is grey ) and used my BeadRider as a template . With the stock seat being a standard super soft open cell foam that fatigues nearly instantly after you sit on it , I thought I would try some additional support under the BeadRider . Yes , it did give me some additional overall height , but that is not a problem with me on the V . Of course , the closed cell foam fatigue matt can be left off the whole project if to tall for someone but after trying it both ways , the fatigue matt workd best for me .
Made my butt allot less mad at me . I rode it about 75 miles today doing my property checking routine and man , what a diff . Anyway , here are few pics if anyone is interested . It is a little difficult to tell in the photos due to my camera angle , but I can level the seat a fair bit with this setup as well .
As you can see , my R&D staff gave it a really good look over as well .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN07510208.JPG (282.3 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN07520209.JPG (278.3 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN07530210.JPG (330.7 KB, 289 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 03:54 PM

What size beadrider did you get?

I generally don't like beaded anything, but that looks pretty nice.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Sorry man , I meant to tell the size . I is a 13X13 inch . It rocks . Even without the fatigue pad underneath , it seems to really stop all that squishing down of the open cell foam in the stocker seat .

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 04:43 PM
cls

I've been using the BeadRider on a number of bikes for the last couple of years. Cheap and comfy. Fresh air to the arse does wonders in the hot summer months, especially. I like it year 'round.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 PM

seat

I stopped in a into a place that does reupholstering...thay said they could do some adjustments on my seat for around $150 or so..but those beads don't look bad so I might give them a try....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:08 PM

Last week I had over a 1000 mile one way ride. Previous to that I reshaped my seat but found it still didn't work on long rides. So the day before my trip I topped off inside my seat with about an inch of memory foam which made about the first 3 hours of the ride much better. Then...it became uncomfortable, so I put on the bead seat I bought that weekend to see what it did.

For about 3 hours the bead seat actually felt good to my surprise and I thought I had the answer, but...about the 4th hour of using it it felt like I was sitting on a very hard surface so I took it off and suffered the rest of the 14 hour riding day.

Since I took out the staples of my front seat and replaced it with Velcro, I can work on my seat anywhere. So in the hotel room I took out the memory foam and put in my air pillow with just barely any air. For the rest of my ride there the following day, and the whole ride back, the seat never felt uncomfortable.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 PM

When I reshaped my seat, I dug out the stock foam and built it back up using used 3 layers of 3/8 inch rebond carpet pad. Feels like a dream all day!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:38 AM

Ha I had raised the nose half an inch and I had foam removed from the rear of the riders saddle feels like a 250+ corbin and cheap it cost me a six pack. BARTER!!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Nose Raising

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ha I had raised the nose half an inch and I had foam removed from the rear of the riders saddle feels like a 250+ corbin and cheap it cost me a six pack. BARTER!!!

UH......UH.....UH..... I personally would be quite concerned about " raising the nose " as you refer to it . Not sure where you are knowlede wise , but changing the height of either end without eqaul changes to the other , can significantly cause the bike to go really unstable in certain situations .
IHMO , I would not have done that even at gun point . NO NO NO , NOT ME MAN . A 1/2 inch must have caused your fork tube caps to be below the triple tree clamp . HHHMMMM . Again , I would rethink that BIGTIME !!!!!! Changing that geomotry can REALLY be dangerous man . Oh , did I say BIGTIME ?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 01:57 AM

I think he's talking about adding a 1/2 inch of foam to his seat, not moving the forks up.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Prolly Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffler Bearing View Post
I think he's talking about adding a 1/2 inch of foam to his seat, not moving the forks up.

Oh my . Looks as if you are prolly right . I suppose after a super long ride yesterday and not being asleep at a decent hour , I have misunderstood his post .
Whew , glad I misundertood him . It scares me to see folks change geomotry on one end and not the other .
Thanks for bringing my eyes and brain into focus . LOL

I do need to work on my seat a bit more myself , but I thought I would wait for my Hepco Becker crash bars to get here next week and sort of make a full day project out of a few things.

For now , I am on my way out the door for a day tour . Ciao , and thanks for clearing that up for me .

Wes
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:04 PM

The versys has enough trail that you can safely lower the front 1/2"..... It will be less stable and more "flickable" but not unsafe if you know what you're dealing with.

2007 Versys, 2003 Magna, 2000 VTR1000
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 05:03 PM
cls

We dropped the front of my wife's a good 2+ inches, and put on Speedy's lowering link in the rear. It handles much more nimbly. You do pay in ground clearance, though. Well worth it for those fighting for good footing. It handles even better this way until you start to push it. A lot of folks will never get there.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
We dropped the front of my wife's a good 2+ inches, and put on Speedy's lowering link in the rear. It handles much more nimbly. You do pay in ground clearance, though. Well worth it for those fighting for good footing. It handles even better this way until you start to push it. A lot of folks will never get there.

OK , So what begins to happen when you push it . I am imagining that the rear end feels like it is coming around on you from the additional leverage on the swong arm . Correct ????
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO-SLOKE View Post
Yep , I find the Versys seat to be yet another torture deivce , although only about 20% as bad as the stock KLR seat that is now a dust collector .
I really was sort of cringing at the thought of dishing out somewhere in the 400 dollar range for another custom seat . I did some poking around for beaded seats which I have never used . I found the BeadRider seat so I thought I would give it a shot , but with a little extra added shade tree design .
I could NOT get BeadRider on the phone , so I ordered the BeadRider from this resaler and i tgot here pretty darn quick too . http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...FQvOIgodNi3WqA .
I also had a big piece of fatigue matt that I had gottne from Lowes ( unfortunately is is grey ) and used my BeadRider as a template . With the stock seat being a standard super soft open cell foam that fatigues nearly instantly after you sit on it , I thought I would try some additional support under the BeadRider . Yes , it did give me some additional overall height , but that is not a problem with me on the V . Of course , the closed cell foam fatigue matt can be left off the whole project if to tall for someone but after trying it both ways , the fatigue matt workd best for me .
Made my butt allot less mad at me . I rode it about 75 miles today doing my property checking routine and man , what a diff . Anyway , here are few pics if anyone is interested . It is a little difficult to tell in the photos due to my camera angle , but I can level the seat a fair bit with this setup as well .
As you can see , my R&D staff gave it a really good look over as well .
thanks sloke....got me one...when my rump gets tired i just slide back and fro.......for a rump massage works good.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

That a good thing huh ?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 07:11 AM
cls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO-SLOKE View Post
OK , So what begins to happen when you push it . I am imagining that the rear end feels like it is coming around on you from the additional leverage on the swong arm . Correct ????
Nope. You just start dragging parts notably earlier. It handles better in the great majority of situations, and is only a problem if you're playing beyond the public road intentions of the bike. My wife is VERY pleased w/it. As am I, for that matter. I have other bikes to ride hard.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode