Does a windscreen matter??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does a windscreen matter???

I think that this is the right place to post this, it is cosmetic...
Does a windscreen actually help? Maybe I should ask, what does a windscreen help to do?
I ask because I may be getting a motorcycle without one and I like the look. There are plenty of Harleys without them on the highway, and tons of naked bikes, so please explain this to me.
My Ninja has one but I still get bounced around and buffeted pretty bad, so why the screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:36 PM

IMO it's personal preference. A windscreen is supposed to block airflow or maybe more appropriately, it's supposed to direct airflow around your head and body. Some folks can't stand wind hitting their head. Some folks can't stand the noise of air flowing around their helmet. Some folks are exactly the opposite. So, the windscreeen itself is entirely a matter of personal taste. The trick to a windscreen is getting the airflow layer positioned either over the top of your helmet or underneath the chin. If the aiflow layer hits your helmet anywhere in between, you get helmet buffeting. You can easily feel where this layer is while you ride just by using your hand. You will feel where it flows in relation to your head.

Three factors play into helmet buffeting. First is the height of your head in relation to the height of your windscreen. Second is the design of the windscreen (height, width, angle). Third is the helmet design. Some helmets are more prone to buffeting than others.

All three of these factors have a combined effect. You may go through 3 helmets, 4 windscreens, and 2 brackets before you find a combo that works for you. If you look, you will see quite a few threads on this board regarding which windscreen/bracket works best for someone of a given body size. So basically, you need to figure out what it is you like.

My personal preference is no screen.

Last edited by jcstratt; 08-28-2010 at 04:38 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:50 PM

Not really, but you're have a tough time if riding long in the cold and at speeds.
:

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 PM

I say it does no good, but I'm a little biased.

Honestly I find the smooth and consistent air flow to be much more tolerable than the buffeting I used to get from behind the stock screen on the V.

"No man shal be debarred the use of arms" "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Why do car have wind screen in the first place, well it may be said a car is different than a bike.

but basically the function served is the same. To protect form wind and other foreign body form hitting your face.

Sport or street bike have small screen to deflect the wind to give a better aerodynamic and handling characteristics.
Tour bike have bigger screen to protect riders who sit up right.

In daily use, windshields mainly protect the vehicle's occupants from wind, temperature extremes, and flying debris such as dust, insects, and rocks, as well as providing an aerodynamically formed window towards the front. As the name implies, on motorbikes their main function is to shield the driver from the wind, though they do not do so as totally as those of a car, whereas on sports and racing motorcycles the main function is improving the drag coefficient when the rider assumes the most aerodynamic optimal configuration of his or her body in unison with the machine and does not shield the rider from wind when sitting upright.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

I do totally agree from my own experience, that's why I ask. It seems like the majority of screens I've seen come no where close to full coverage, but this creates what I think was mentioned above. What I've had is basically wind hitting me at the top part of my helmet, but I feel lots of turbulent air from around the screen. I thought that the air might be a little more consistent with no screen at all, plus I do think I like the look too.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 PM

unless you're a midget, you can take the screen off and turn it upside down. remount it at the lowest setting on the bracket. this will put the airflow just below your chin. it is definitely noiser, but a lot smoother than the stock setting.

+1
Quote:
Honestly I find the smooth and consistent air flow to be much more tolerable than the buffeting I used to get from behind the stock screen on the V.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:37 AM

I did the experiment to answer this for myself a few months back and removed the screen and brackets. The airflow over my whole body was somewhat invigorating, but being covered in bugs was not....

IMO, the windscreen is more of a rain and bug blocker, not really for wind! The wind is nice...

Also, Tailgun... holy crap man... so nice...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:40 AM

And then there’s the bugs...

PS Edit
LOL Jack! I see you beat me to it while I went to grab my coffee

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

Last edited by Hardware; 08-29-2010 at 09:44 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:34 AM

I think it depends on your speed. At 70 mph there's a lot of wind but at 45 mph not so much. So, do you ride highways or backroads? The only reason I bought a givi screen is because I'm always on the freeway.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 AM

I'm not sure, but I think tailgun solved his fairing vibe issues.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
And then there’s the bugs...

PS Edit
LOL Jack! I see you beat me to it while I went to grab my coffee
+11
Without my 'V-Stream' I'd be stopping every 45 minutes to clean bug carcasses off my helmet shield.
Not fun...kinda gets in the way of timely progress.
Been there, done that....Love my 'V-Stream'.
It looks good too.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Around town it's not really a big deal, but I think a windscreen helps make long trips less tiring. Having a blast of air hit you directly in the chest at speed (making you a "sail") is essentially trying to blow you off the bike which makes you have to grip the bars that much tighter and use more strength to hold on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode