Learning from BAD Experiences - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Learning from BAD Experiences

Okay, so last night I had a CFI (Certified F*****G Idiot) moment. First the warning- DO NOT USE GOOF OFF ON ANYTHING YOU LIKE!!! I have used this product on about everything I like with no issues whatsoever, until last night.
After flipping my windshield over on the '09, I noticed that my Kawasaki sticker was upside down, and backwards, of course. I peeled the sticker off, and there was of course, the leftover 'goo' that stickers leave behind. I went for my trusty can of Goof Off to remove the remnants. On the first spay, I should have known something wasn't right, as the solution trickled down and away from the goo- typically, Goof Off will sit and soak into the leftovers. I sprayed again, grabbed a micro fiber cloth and began wiping away. Immediately I noticed that the wiping felt a bit rough compared to prior applications, then I noticed how the solution had all but melted the finish on my windshield! I couldn't believe what lie before my eyes. My windshield was completely ruined, with no sign of clearing up. The only plus side to this matter is that I have finally made up my mind to replace the OEM windshield wit a Givi. I hope the wind deflection of the Givi is half as good as others have posted here.

Lesson well learned- if in doubt, scrub with soap and water.

'09 Greener
Ride on. Ride hard. Respect the bike.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Rik

WD40 is the ticket for sticker and decal residue
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Know how you feel, had a dumb moment on my shark rsx helmet, used a bit of loctite to try to glue a plastic ring thing that had broken small tabs on visor, left it over night and it had eaten through the visor and made it brittle, $140 NZ to replace visor.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Did the same on my stock windshield. I ended up painting the bottom half black, where the Goo Gone had messed it up. Doesn't look to bad.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 05:15 PM

Not to worry, I'm more certified than all ya...Thought debadging my windscreen would go much better with (drumroll please) "Acetone". Really, really a bad idea.
But that's how I decided a Givi

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Flipped stock wind screen. removed sticker with heat gun and cleaned with W-D40
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 PM

I fucxed up too the same way.

However think made some lemonade from this lemon.
Blacked it black, flipped it upside down and good to go with the Givi. Less turbulance, I think.
First time put it on.

Or just paint it black and flip it upside down. Looks good but might not give the wind protection you want.

Element's setup is also
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...dscreen&page=5

2 guys looked out their jail cell window,
1 saw the mud and the other the stars.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode