Kisan SM-3 Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kisan SM-3 Help

Has anyone here installed the Kisan SM-3 signal minder?

I've ordered mine based on reading that this is the model that works for others with 2008 Versys. I finally found the flasher location last night (it was actually right in front of my face). This thing is supposed to be "plug-n-play". I've hooked it up, grounded it as recommended, and nothing. Signals won't flash...nothing. Has anyone else had any trouble with this unit?

The stock flasher is 2-prong, the SM-3 is a 3 prong plug. The manual acknowledges this, stating that we're simply supposed to populate the empty plug with the supplied ground wire, which I have. Am I missing out on something that others know about?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 PM

When I installed mine it didn't work at first. It turns out that the first place I grounded the black wire Kisan supplies had so much paint that I didn't get a ground connection. Rather than scrape off the paint I found a different ground location that had no paint.

I also connected the wire to the brake light circuit so that the timer stopped timing whenever the brakes were engaged. Unlike a few others here that cut into the brake light circuit either under the tank or seat I connected to the brake light circuit at the front brake master cylinder. This way I did not have to cut any of the OEM wires or even strip off any insulation. I also avoided the use of those crimp on connectors that cut through a wire's insulation. I've had bad luck with those before where they actually cut the wire in half rather than just cut through the wire's insulation.

There are two 3/16 wide spade connectors on the brake light switch integral to the handlebar mounted front brake master cylinder. Of the two wires connected to the brake light switch, one is always hot when the ignition is on, and the other is switched with the brakes. I made a short "Y" connector, unplugged the switched wire, plugged the switched wire to my adapter, plugged the adapter on th the brake light switch, and the remaining leg of the "Y" went to the Kisan.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnc View Post
Has anyone here installed the Kisan SM-3 signal minder?

I've ordered mine based on reading that this is the model that works for others with 2008 Versys. I finally found the flasher location last night (it was actually right in front of my face). This thing is supposed to be "plug-n-play". I've hooked it up, grounded it as recommended, and nothing. Signals won't flash...nothing. Has anyone else had any trouble with this unit?

The stock flasher is 2-prong, the SM-3 is a 3 prong plug. The manual acknowledges this, stating that we're simply supposed to populate the empty plug with the supplied ground wire, which I have. Am I missing out on something that others know about?

Tim
Any luck with your wiring/plug in . Is the Kisan 3M fully functioning or are you still stuck.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Well, the problem was more in line with what Steven said.

Turns out that on my bike, of every 10 metal bolts connecting to the frame, only one will serve as a good ground. I sent my plea for help after trying the first 5 or 6. I guess I'm used to cars where anything that even looks metal will function as a ground.

Thanks, Steven, also for the advice on the brake light switch connection. I have to admit that I bought the unit for all the features...turn signal canceling, brake light, and running lights, but I was a little leary when I discovered the brake light/running light option isn't "plug-n-play". I just don't like the thought of cutting and splicing all these nicely bundled/wrapped wires. I'll go through with it, though, because if not I otherwise just paid $100 just so that my turn signal cancels itself out....

Tim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This is easier. One wire. Only does one function so if you want brake light modulator and signal canceling you need 2. very simple install

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=10778
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
timnc
Well, the problem was more in line with what Steven said.

Thanks and Good that you got it sort out. I had the same problem while trying to do my own flasher . Gave up as the tail light connecting was too near the CPU, so didn't want to mess up and cook the system.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 AM

Hey timnc, sorry I didn't get back to check this thread sooner. I was delivering my daughter and a truck full of her stuff to college.

Glad your problem was the ground connection. That's an easy fix.

Just a word of warning if you connect the brake lights so that they change the delay for the turn signal shut off. The 3/16 spade connectors on the brake master cylinder are thinner than normal. I bent one when I installed my "Y" wiring adapter. I was able to bend it back, but I don't think the switch's spade connector will survive too many bendings before it breaks. Then you'd have to replace the switch assuming you can buy it without having to buy the entire master cylinder.

I didn't hook up the running lights option. First, I don't think that full time turn signals acting as running lights help visibility all that much with a full time head light and the nice Versys LED tail light. Second, I couldn't find a way to tap into the turn signal wiring without cutting into the harness. Third, I didn't like the idea of the dashboard bulbs being lit all of the time. Fourth, I was also concerned that the incandescent bulbs, if on all the time, might eventually overheat the turn signal lenses and discolor them.

While I've had to get used to it I like the turn signal cancelling. Before I had it I would often forget to turn off the signals and drive for miles. Just too much noise when riding, and I don't constantly look at the instrument cluster. I felt like an old man whenever I left them on, and sheesh, I'm only 55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode