• 1 Post By ATYC
  • 1 Post By skywalker46
  • 1 Post By Cantdrive55
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need windscreen advice

I'm getting too much buffeting on my '09 Versys 650 -- even with an 18" Givi shield.
I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'10".
Considering either the National Cycle VStream Sport (claims to route more air to the sides) or the MRA VarioTouring screen with the adjustable spoiler at the top.
Both are shorter than the Givi shield so I'll still be able to easily see over the top.
Have any tall riders had success with these screens -- or do you have other options to recommend?
I ride freeway speeds (75 mph) every day for commuting. Currently, I have to lean way into the screen to reduce noise and buffeting.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 AM

I've had a set up or two that seemed 100% perfect until I was around pickup trucks or larger. they just destroy the air flow at high speeds and cause buffeting no matter what it seems.

I either have a nice quiet pocket with minor buffeting or a nice loud buffeting free zone.

the smoothest is probably naked (no screen). no good in the rain or cold.

I'm pretty happy with my compromise right now with the madstad bracket and a custom screen similar to the vstream.
BEACHBUM and Cantdrive55 like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 6'2" also on my 09 i tried a Parabellum Tall Windscreen it worked well but was as big as a barn door and i felt that one day the mounts would break from the wind shaking it so much. So i went with a Givi/Stock Combo. Took a stock screen and a givi drilled a couple holes in each one turned the stocker upside down and attached. Worked Great.....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr
Cantdrive55 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 01:49 PM

Garage
Well, I'm only 5'8", but I have an '09 Gen 1. Here's what works for me:

I found buffetting at all three positions with the stock screen. Then I flipped it. I ride with the flipped screen in the lowest position which puts my head in smooth clean air. I like that so much I cut down (and painted out) a stock screen which sits in the lowest position. Pictured:

But, since you mention the VStream. I have one of those too and I put it on last year for a 7,800 km tour. It works great. I put it on the day I took my bike out of storage and rode for a month before the tour, always with my new AFX FX-41 helmet that I bought over the Winter. I thought the new helmet was really quiet, solid, and something about it's design made riding with the visor up really good. It was only after I got home and swaped out the VStream for my little blast shield that I came to realize it was the VStream that improved the riding experience so much.

Having said that, I still prefer the low profile shield, but I will keep the VStream for touring.
Cantdrive55 likes this.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:38 PM

This ebay screen works so well I ordered another. No buffeting, keeps wind off your chest. Works AA++.
I put a slight crack in it when I over tightened a bolt to mount it. Small crack hardly noticeable.
If anyone on here wants it I'll send it to you. Looks cool to boot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160313_165721_resized_1.jpg (24.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 20160313_165704_resized.jpg (34.7 KB, 134 views)
Cantdrive55 likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

I took a look at the MadStad site, and I will probably give those brackets a try!
But...I also really appreciate the variety of other ideas posted.
I never would have thought of flipping my stock screen upside down. I'll try that as soon as I get home! Sounds great for summer commuting.
Combining the stock screen with the Givi is another cool idea.
I'm looking forward to experimenting...
weljo2001 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker46 View Post
This ebay screen works so well I ordered another. No buffeting, keeps wind off your chest. Works AA++.
I put a slight crack in it when I over tightened a bolt to mount it. Small crack hardly noticeable.
If anyone on here wants it I'll send it to you. Looks cool to boot.
Hey Skywalker,

I sent you a PM about the screen as I am in the same spot with having the Givi screen and lots of buffeting.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Heres the Tall Tinted Parabellum it worked great but i would do something to add more support to the windscreen mounts.

428714_3082018883967_855219738_n by weljo2001, on Flickr
Cantdrive55 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This setup works for me @ 6ft

On my Mk1 V I have fitted it to my Givi D405ST Screen and it now allows me to ride with visor up at +70 mph. You can either stick it on at first and see if it works and if it does then bolt it on securely.

Aero-Trim - See www.aerotrim.co.za/usa.html for more details for availability in USA

Richard

at
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:18 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think I'm going to give the aerotrim a try too. maybe great to kick wind over the wife when shes on back of the bike.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Keep an eye on this seller:
spielberg2012 on eBay

he has really cheap clip on spoilers.

I bought one and works really well.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 AM

Garage
Someone commented above about the Madstat Brackets. Do they sell those separately? If so, has anyone tried them with the stock OEM screen?

Cheers,

Charlie

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 PM

I'm 6-00 and have the Givi screen and I mounted the MRA X screen Sport. It works wonderfully. Awesome!!!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode