Any of you installed a HID kit? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
B0B

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any of you installed a HID kit?

I'm looking for more light (and whiter). I would prefer to install a HID kit than putting a 65w bulb. Any of you installed a HID kit on the Versys? If so, what is the brand name? Where did you installed the ballast? Any picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM

You might want to try Sylvania SilverStar bulbs at stock wattages. Very bright white light and allot cheaper than HID.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 PM

I added some and they are much better. They also make a SilverLight Ultra, but I couldn't find one. I have also ordered a 65W 2100 Lumens bulb to try for the low beam. CP64217 from http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H7.asp I will let you know how it works.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:19 AM

I installed low and high beam HID lights from cqlight.ca. Just stuffed the ballasts and igniters behind the fairing. Works great. -- Hank Farber.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
B0B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfarber View Post
I installed low and high beam HID lights from cqlight.ca. Just stuffed the ballasts and igniters behind the fairing. Works great. -- Hank Farber.
Can you take some pictures and post them here please? Did you see a big difference? With the high beam, what is the delay?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 AM

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 AM

Whoops. Didn't mean to submit the same post again. Sorry.

Bob,

As for pictures, I am not sure of what I would take pictures. It is a plug-and-play installation.

The lights are terrific. Way way brighter than stock. The high beam has some delay if you have not been on high beam for a while. Once warmed, it goes on and off seeming instantaneously. So I have no problem in night driving when I am "going up and down" as traffic allows. But not too useful to flash someone daytime. -- Hank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfarber View Post
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
B0B

Hsfarber,
How easy was it to install? For the picture, I was looking for pictures of the ballasts / igniters installation (where they are located). Did you need any extra fitting / parts or the plug and plug kit has everything? Which Kelvin degree did you take? Thank you!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 PM

Hi Hsfarber, what model and light temp did you choose?

Thanks,

4tire!
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

2007 Black Versys, Barkbuster VPS Handguards, Mushrooms K10001-109, Pirelli Diablo Rosso, CQlights HID 5000K kit, Givi V46 Top Case.

Shoei Multitec, Rukka X-TRAFIT Gloves, Rukka Steel Jacket, Rukka Unit Pants, Dainese B.B.2 D-Dry Boots

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tire View Post
Hi Hsfarber, what model and light temp did you choose?

Thanks,
I don't think there was a choice of models. The bulb is an H7 IIRC. I chose the lowest temp they sold (5K?).
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:41 PM

For those of us who aren't necessarily friends with electricity, was the install fairly easy?
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak View Post
For those of us who aren't necessarily friends with electricity, was the install fairly easy?
The install was very easy for me (plug it in and go). YMMV. -- Hank.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
B0B

Where (in the fairing) did you installed the ballasts and the igniters? Can you take a picture of your setup please?
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 PM

I am away from the bike for about a week, and cannot take pictures. In any case, I am kind of embarrassed to do so, since the bits are just stuffed behind the headlights in the fairing and not attached to anything (other than a tie wrap here and there). What can I say?
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:41 PM

Hi Hsfarber, thank you for the information!

I got enough, don't need the pictures....

Cheers!

4tire!
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

2007 Black Versys, Barkbuster VPS Handguards, Mushrooms K10001-109, Pirelli Diablo Rosso, CQlights HID 5000K kit, Givi V46 Top Case.

Shoei Multitec, Rukka X-TRAFIT Gloves, Rukka Steel Jacket, Rukka Unit Pants, Dainese B.B.2 D-Dry Boots

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Hi, did install a kit on mine with the help of B0B last fall and let me tell you what a difference it makes. We bought from CQlight too.

We made an aluminium braquet to hold the 2 ballast together and it fits on the horizontal steel bar that hold the front ferring.

I had to go to Toronto for work 2nd week of November at night, without those lights, I think I would have not do it....

THank you for the tip HSfarber

4tire!

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 PM

I also put in the 65 watt bulb and thought it was better, but when I intalled the HID lights, I see they are better yet.

If I had to do it over again, I'd only put in the low beam HID. The high beam HID is not meant to be turned on and off often to use as warning lights, it cuts down on their life a lot I read.

Still, even HID lights are not as good as good ol' sunlight. HIDs brighten things up, but any light can't be so bright and adjusted so high that it blinds oncoming traffic. Nor does any light shield the blindness of the oncoming traffic lights. It's just "better", but limited.

One very nice feature about HIDs, is that I can see by my constant display voltage meter I have in front that I have less of a voltage drop using HIDs.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Anyone know anything about the legality of the HID setups (california) how bad is it if I do get clipped?
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:23 PM

ATGATT; Great idea, going HID for the low beam. Then
maybe a 65watt high beam? I found some Phillips lights
locally that are only 55 w. but they claim to be much
brighter. Only problem is the packaging does not specify
any lumen output or expected bulb life. One of the parts
guys said they are 'brighter'. Lots of help there...

Anybody have any experience with Phillips NightGuides
($44.99/pair) or Chrystal Vision Ultra ($34.99/pair)?
If I can find replacement bulbs that give me more
light that would be preferable to adding extra lights
to the cowling or forks...
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHunter View Post
Anyone know anything about the legality of the HID setups (california) how bad is it if I do get clipped?
A lot of the autos are running HID lights. Quite a few of the cholos in town are also running HID type lights, albeit not focused very well. Then there are the lifted SUV/trucks with their fogs and headlights all blinged out. You'd think that the cops will be going after them for mis-aimed lights?

I wonuldn't worry about the legalities in CA. You should re-aim the lights properly first, after the switch over.

If you get pulled over for the light issue, it's a fix-it ticket. No charge.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode