Givi vs. Alu-rack for passenger room? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
cls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi vs. Alu-rack for passenger room?

Howdy,

I did a few quick searches and didn't turn up the info. I'm looking for. I also asked Twisted Throttle and they said it was "about a toss-up." So...Does anyone know first-hand if the Givi trunk rack offers more passenger room than the Alu-rack? I saw a sales ad from quite some time ago where a guy was selling/trading his Alu-rack for a Givi for just this reason. I was unable to get in touch w/him to confirm/deny his success, however. Along the same lines, does a smaller trunk make a noticeable (2", or so.) difference in passenger room?

I have the Givi E55 on the Alu-rack, and my wife is not really happy. Had the same problem w/an '07 Tiger 1050. Twisted Throttle assured me this problem had been addressed w/the Alu-rack for the V. And, it may well have been, but it's still not what my wife is wanting. Any help?

Thanks much.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:55 PM

I can move the mounting point forward or backward with my sw motec rack and monolock mounting plate.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 PM

glowcat is absolutely right - there is a fair amount of adjustment with the sw.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
cls

There is no adjustment on this one. I have the Givi E55 Monokey w/the quick detach adapter plate. I guess that's the difference?...Does the Givi trunk rack offer more room? Anybody? I'm a little peaved. I asked them all this before I ordered the rack. I know nothing's perfect, but I tried to avoid the problem. Crap...Anyone? Anyone at all? Anything? Anything at all? Givi rack? Smaller trunk bag? Both? Different wife, maybe?...Double crap.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:15 PM

Would answer if I could but don't have experiance with the givi rack.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 PM

On most racks the adapter plate (monokey or monorack, or similar) can be mounted in several different positions. If not enough range to suit you, you could put a plywood plate on the rails and then drill to place the adapter about anywhere you wish; not rocket science????
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 AM

Well, I have the Alu Trax 47litres and the big tail bag and my wife has no issue on them at all. She's 5'2" and has to lean back a bit to make contact with the tail bag, but she says she doesn't rest on the saddle bags at all.

Here's a couple pics just for reference:

Unfortunately I don't have the money to get a set of Gigi's to compare with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike-left.JPG (86.0 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg The get-away.JPG (80.4 KB, 103 views)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
cls

The four holes of the rack line up w/the four holes of the rack supports, so I see no adjustments there. The adapter plate locks onto the rack in a predesignated position, so I see no adjustment there. Did I get a different/old rack design, or am I missing something obvious? I'm a mechanical retard, but I don't think this thing adjusts at all.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I spend a good hunk more of money...Did I say, "Crap!"?

Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 AM

I suspect you have a mounting plate designed especially for the Alu-Rack (is it a quick lock removable plate)? If so, it locks in one position and isn't easily adjustable.

On of the more universal plates (such as this or this) might work better.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
cls

That makes sense, and that is what I feared. I definitely want the quick detach option. Thanks much for the help to all.

Now, will a smaller bag leave more room to the passenger side of the rack and/or will a Givi rack leave more room than the Alu-rack? Somebody, somewhere has to know...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Howdy,

I did a few quick searches and didn't turn up the info. I'm looking for. I also asked Twisted Throttle and they said it was "about a toss-up." So...Does anyone know first-hand if the Givi trunk rack offers more passenger room than the Alu-rack? I saw a sales ad from quite some time ago where a guy was selling/trading his Alu-rack for a Givi for just this reason. I was unable to get in touch w/him to confirm/deny his success, however. Along the same lines, does a smaller trunk make a noticeable (2", or so.) difference in passenger room?

I have the Givi E55 on the Alu-rack, and my wife is not really happy. Had the same problem w/an '07 Tiger 1050. Twisted Throttle assured me this problem had been addressed w/the Alu-rack for the V. And, it may well have been, but it's still not what my wife is wanting. Any help?

Thanks much.

Chris
My set-up is completely Givi, racks, v46 topbox and v35 side bags. There is no adjustment, once mounted, it is what it is. This set-up makes passenger room tight. The side bags are fairly close to the passenger pegs, it can be dealt with, and adding a passenger peg lowering kit helps. As for the top box, I had to remove the back pad to give a reasonable amount of passenger room. We wear full gear so removing the pad had no negative effect in comfort, the padding in her coat is plenty.

A few photos...

100_8833_.jpg
100_8834_.jpg
versys_.jpg

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 AM

I don't think a smaller top box would make a difference as it still uses the same mounting points. Mabey switching to a universal plate with adjustability is a good option, it would definetly cost less and the box would remove just as easy but mounting plate would remain in place. I mean you could remove the plate but would just take more effort. Not sure why you want a quick detach plate for.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
cls

I want the quick detach option so I can put the bag on, and take it off, quickly and easily. I don't always use it, and I sometimes carry it w/me, depending on where I am/what I'm doing. I also wonder if a smaller trunk bag wouldn't hang over the plate as much as the big bag does. Hence, more room between the passenger and bag.

TR,

Thanks for the info. I still wonder, though, how the room compares, specifically, between the SW and Givi racks...

There was a guy that said he swapped his SW for the Givi because it gave more room. I never could get in touch w/him to confirm it worked, however.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:31 AM

hey cls heres some pictures to explain what I mean.
picture 1- this is my old 29 liter case, might alow a little more room.

picture 2- my new 45 liter case

picture 3- just push the button where my thumb is with the case unlocked to remove the case.

picture 4- mounting plate without case, there are 2 small screws to remove this cover.

picture 5- after cover is removed you have the spots where the arrows are that you can move the plate to for adjustability. undo the 2 bolts slide the plate back and rebolt.

although mine is a monolock system the universal plate for the monokey should be the same idea. The trunk can still be easily removed and taken with you but the plate system stays attached. Hope this helps you out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1293.JPG (51.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1295.JPG (49.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1296.JPG (45.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1297.JPG (51.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1298.JPG (71.5 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by glowcat13; 08-24-2010 at 06:22 AM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
cls

Good info and pics. Thanks much for the effort. I'll have to do more research into the different mounting/adapter plates. I've had several set-ups, but they were all the same. I'll take a look at availability, advantage/disadvantage, etc.

Thanks, again.

Chris
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 PM

I have also worried about the amount of passenger room with the SW rack. I have a completely non-stock seat (BMW driver with homemade passenger seat). http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=7467

I drilled 4 holes in the Alurack about 3/4 inch ahead of the factory holes and mounted the rack that much further back. Getting the right layout for the holes is tricky, but I got it to work. The attached picture shows the rack mounted in the factory position with my new holes unused. When I take my wife somewhere (with trunk), I move the rack back.

We have only done one day trip (260 miles) with an E360 used as a trunk. I have a 50L Maxia trunk which does intrude on passenger space more than the E360, almost 1/2". To see differences in "passenger intrusion" you can set them on the ground (standing on end like a suitcase) and measure the different heights of the mount points to see any difference between cases.

We will be taking a 4-day trip next month with the Maxia and 2 E360s. At that time I'll have a better idea of how it all works for my wife. I may end up moving the passenger seat forward. Another alternative is to use a duffel bag instead of a trunk.

And no, my wife is not large. About 5'5", 120lbs.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2575.JPG (405.1 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by michael95453; 08-23-2010 at 06:43 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM

this link that DaveC had http://www.giviusa.com/Fitment-kits/Optionals/E250 looks very simular to what I have but its for the monokey system like you have. Good luck hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited by glowcat13; 08-23-2010 at 07:35 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
cls

Twisted Throttle says the Givi/SW racks are virtually the same for room. They also say the smaller trunk bags won't help. I'll see what they/Givi say about different adapter plates.

Thanks, again.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
I want the quick detach option so I can put the bag on, and take it off, quickly and easily. I don't always use it, and I sometimes carry it w/me, depending on where I am/what I'm doing. I also wonder if a smaller trunk bag wouldn't hang over the plate as much as the big bag does. Hence, more room between the passenger and bag.
I was thinking more of a quick detach of the mounting plate from the rack, as opposed to removing the bag from the bike. I don't see anything like that on the twisted throttle website, so perhaps I posted without doing enough research. All of the monokey/monolock cases should be easily removable from any of the mounting plates.

Without seeing how the existing mounting plate is attached to the rack, its difficult to speculate on what your options are. Do you know which adapter plate you have right now, or have a picture of it?

For reference, Kappa (compatible with Givi) has some pretty good pictures of their different plates listed here.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
cls

No, I don't know a whole lot about it. I'm checking w/TT now. I think I have most of my answers, except for the plate options. I'll get it squared away. I hope...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode