New Madstad shield on my Mk2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JACoH
  • 1 Post By otrp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Madstad shield on my Mk2

So, after trying a Puig 5255 screen, and tiring of the buffeting, I bit the bullet and ordered the Madstad 18" for my 2014 Versys.
Installation was a snap. I do believe the brackets make it look butt ugly, but after my first ride....it is amazing! NO buffeting in the initial lowest position at 60 degrees. I rode on an 80 degree day and still had enough air from the sides and beneath to cool my vented First Gear jacket. No more bugs on my helmet, but all over the shield.
I didn't post any pics, but you can see it on a Versys on their website.
Cantdrive55 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 12:03 PM

I have an 18" dark smoke Madstad. Made a huge difference in eliminating buffeting.
Cantdrive55 likes this.

2015 Versys 1000LT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 07:06 AM

I'm thinking about getting one for my 2013. I went on their website and it only shows a 20 inch Sport CR Clear screen available for the 2010-2014 Versys. Last month when I checked them out, they had 18" and 20" screens with all tints available. I'm just under 6' 2" tall so I would probably need the 20" screen but would prefer the 18" I also have the Seat Concepts seat which sits me up a little higher. How tall are you guys? Would the 18" screen be too short for my height?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I'm thinking about getting one for my 2013. I went on their website and it only shows a 20 inch Sport CR Clear screen available for the 2010-2014 Versys. Last month when I checked them out, they had 18" and 20" screens with all tints available. I'm just under 6' 2" tall so I would probably need the 20" screen but would prefer the 18" I also have the Seat Concepts seat which sits me up a little higher. How tall are you guys? Would the 18" screen be too short for my height?
I would suggest that you send them an email asking about your required dimension. I would guess that they will get it for you.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I am 5'6", and my seat is a bit lower toward rear but raised a bit in front. But the lowest position still allows about 6" of height increase adjustment. Madstad originally told me they could make me a 16" version, so they will make any size I guess. My 18" is fine and I can raise it more if desired, but am still looking about 3" over the top at lowest position.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I've got the 20" on my 2014. I'm about 5'10", w/ the Seat Concepts seat (with a +0.5 firmness foam, so I sit a little higher than the standard foam, I guess). I've been pretty happy with the combo. My first impression was that there wasn't enough wind protection even at it's highest setting, but I came from a Connie with a barn door in front of me.

The screen is high enough to keep rain/cold air off most of the upper body, but at the low setting I love the ability to tilt it to get maximum airflow on hot days.

Last edited by phasechange; 04-22-2016 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify the seat.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
HOLY SHIP! That is one huge and ugly shield! Glad it does what you want it to do.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm 5'10" and of normal proportions. The 18" Madstad on my '15 V650 is perfect for me. The screen works by causing the air to flow smoothly upward and over the top, rather than blocking it which causes a vacuum and turbulence (like behind the back window of a pickup truck where you can watch all the debris swirl while driving along). The gap between the bottom of the screen and the fairing allows high energy air to flow up the inside. This is what kills all the turbulence on the old fashioned screens which were part of the fairing.

There is a transition zone to the faster moving air the higher up your head is. I get good ventilation into the top vents of my helmet, so the air is moving there, but not full speed.

All that is to say I think your extra height will probably put your helmet into the airstream too much if you get the 18" screen.

The height of the screens may be different on the different year V's, too. An 18" on a '15 may not be the same as an 18" on your '13.

Definitely do as quexpress suggested and email Madstad for their recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode