Fender Options - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fender Options

I know it has been discussed a lot on the forum, but I am looking at options for a high mount front fender. First, I'll admit it is mainly for looks. I have the OE tires at the moment, and even if I change to a taller dirt oriented tire as I intend to do when these wear out, I can just raise the stock fender a litte. I just like the looks of the ones I have seen done.

I will be leaving the brake lines as they are until I wear out the first set of pads, then I will get dual lines from the master cylinder to the calipers. Also with any option I will be addressing fork protection in some way, and that is part of what makes my options different.

First is the easiest, just moving the stock fender up to the lower triple clamp. This has been done as seen in this picture from MountainMan.

I think it looks pretty good, its the cheapest method, but not quite what I am after.

Next is the common Acerbis SuperMoto fender as seen on the bike of Thumper (among others)

I like this a lot, and it would be fairly cheap to do. I would probably replace the PVC fork guards with some KX fork guards as done by Trailslapper

and chop the tip off to make it a little bit sleeker as done by a lot of people on the supermotojunkie forums a la this picture:

Now I saw another post on the boards where someone was questioning a Buell Ulysses front fender setup. This intrigued me a lot, and after looking at them, would provide good protection, as well as the look I want. Here is a picture on the Buell.

I did a quick MSPaint photo chop to see what it would look like on the Versys, and came up with this.

I think it looks nice, maybe the angle of the upper fender needs tweaked a little bit. So get some Buell parts and away I go, right? Well not that easy. There don't seem to be many secondhand parts available, and the parts from the dealer would be about $280, while they last (some have been discontinued).

I put out some feelers on Buell boards as it seems people with Ulysses sometimes replace the fender system with a conventional one for touring, but I haven't had any hits yet.

I did get someone respond saying they had a Buell STT fender setup for sale (and very reasonable), and it is on its way to me now. It is the same upper "beak" fender, but with conventional fork protectors.

I will need to make an adapter bracket for the fender mount, but that is not a big deal. In the mean time I will continue looking for a Ulysses lower fender.

So, what do you think? Like the look? Seem like too much effort?

Hopefully will have real pictures within a week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Can't give a picture, but some have added a motocross type high fender (all of it), and left the stocker in place (painted black) ala BMW and Ducati.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 PM

I thought about chopping the tip too. I could not find a pic of one that had been done. That is sleek! Now I have something else to think about.
Sounds like you are putting a good plan together. Can't wait to see the final setup. Did you try "Bad Weather Bikers" as a Buell site. My wife is a member on that and they are very active.
I like the Photoshop work too! Pretty cool.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

Last edited by Thumper; 08-18-2010 at 03:32 PM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:51 PM

I think if you use the acerbis up top and the buell part for the forks and rear it would look cool.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Looks like MountainMan has some nice clamp on the fork legs holding his fender.

I would use the black acerbis SM fender I think thats the KTM SM fender as they use acerbis plastic its like $21 dollars at KTM World.com. I would leave the stock fender, raised if using larger tire or even better the v-strom 19 inch wheel.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:39 PM

I think your asking for problems unless you relocate the brake line that crosses from one side to another(first pic). Mud on the tire, a stick that follows around with the tire may rip that brake line apart. Just get a longer cross over brake line, and your done. Still a cheap mod.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Can't give a picture, but some have added a motocross type high fender (all of it), and left the stocker in place (painted black) ala BMW and Ducati.
I have seen that too. I would entertain that idea, but would get another fender to start with, as I want this to be reversible. Here is a picture I found from aleeoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I thought about chopping the tip too. I could not find a pic of one that had been done. That is sleek! Now I have something else to think about.
Sounds like you are putting a good plan together. Can't wait to see the final setup. Did you try "Bad Weather Bikers" as a Buell site. My wife is a member on that and they are very active.
I like the Photoshop work too! Pretty cool.
I have a post on Bad Weather Bikers, BuellXB, BuellForums, and ADVRider. I'm hoping somewhere I will find the Ulysses lower fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
I think if you use the acerbis up top and the buell part for the forks and rear it would look cool.
That's another thing I was thinking about. I'm getting the Buell upper, but if I don't like how it looks I will just get the Acerbis, its cheap enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw9 View Post
I think your asking for problems unless you relocate the brake line that crosses from one side to another(first pic). Mud on the tire, a stick that follows around with the tire may rip that brake line apart. Just get a longer cross over brake line, and your done. Still a cheap mod.
That isn't my bike, but I understand what you are saying. That was another reason I like the Buell lower fender, it still provides protection to the brake lines and from things flinging up into the radiator.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 AM

If using clamps on the fork tubes, like MountainMan, be sure not to over tighten them in the area of fork travel. the internal parts may not like it if this section of the tube is squeezed or distorted. Another reason to make sure when tightening the upper and lower triple clamps to follow the manufacture torque spec for each. The top clamp is usually tighter then the lower as the fork internals do not travel into that area.

Also, I don't think the fender is strong enough to do this but if clamped to the fork improperly, it may cause a binding effect on the fork or if done right it might act like a fork brace, that would be a good thing if needed.

Donn

Last edited by Nytrydr; 08-19-2010 at 10:08 AM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
I do like the low cost option of leaving the stocker in place and painting it black, with the Acerbis up top. Anyone who has done this, did you just rotozip the stocker to remove the front portion?

NICE photoshop work!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor

Last edited by buffamazon; 08-19-2010 at 11:03 AM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffamazon View Post
I do like the low cost option of leaving the stocker in place and painting it black, with the Acerbis up top. Anyone who has done this, did you just rotozip the stocker to remove the front portion?

NICE photoshop work!
I like that one too, but I don't think the top fender is the SM fender. I would use the SM fender, think it looks better, its more aerodynamic and is made for the smaller wheel size.

Last edited by Nytrydr; 08-19-2010 at 04:45 PM.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I should have the upper fender and STT fork guards tomorrow. Wouldn't you know it the day I paid for them I had someone email me about Ulysses lower fender. Working out a deal on that now, so I should have the whole setup shortly.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

STT parts got here yesterday.

I haven't installed them yet (the Ulysses parts will be here next week). I did hold them up to see what it would look like.

I think it looks good. I still think I will like the Ulysses lower better, but the fork guards look great too. What do you guys think?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:30 PM

Looks good to me! Kind of hard to tell in the pic, but as long as they will cover the fork well, your good to go man.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
STT parts got here yesterday.
[SNIP]
I think it looks good. I still think I will like the Ulysses lower better, but the fork guards look great too. What do you guys think?

Where are the final photos??
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Still waiting on fork clamps so I can fab up some brackets. I ordered them the beginning of November and they are on back order. They are supposed to be restocked today, but I've heard that before

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Still waiting on fork clamps so I can fab up some brackets. I ordered them the beginning of November and they are on back order. They are supposed to be restocked today, but I've heard that before
Try these folks: http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servl...mps/Categories

They're finished a lot nicer than the Pro-Tek ones.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Still waiting on fork clamps so I can fab up some brackets.
I have aSM fender. I just cut 4 holes in the flat part of the fender and used zipties to secure it. With black zipties going over the lower tripple you cant even see them.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I thought of that, but I have the Ulysses fender which isn't long enough to do that, and I want to make a bracket that could mount fog lights with the fender.

Thanks for the link ttpete. I will look into them if the Protek's don't show up soon, though they are $30 more shipped than the protek's.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Finally I should have the Pro-Tek fork clamps tomorrow. I ordered them November 6, 2010!!

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 04:32 PM

"Building the perfect beast"
...gotta love it!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode