Removing the Trellis - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Removing the Trellis

So.. there are a few threads on here that touch on this subject with a little debate back and forth, but I wanted to open it up to a formal discussion.

I'm a 1up rider and will be for a while. I don't have any bags that need attaching, and I've seen pics of the V with the trellis removed and I gotta say I think its pretty sweet.

Here's what I like to hear some opinions on.. is the trellis load bearing and will I (240#s without gear) be ok without it?

Discuss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Jeez, Nobody?
OK, I'll take a shot.
The frame and sub-frame is the same on this family of bikes, except that they added the Trellis to the Versys for touring duty. I think you could take them off without an issue. Just a couple of bolts, I believe (I had the right side off to do the Speedy Lowering Kit).
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 PM

I gave it a good look today, hard to say for sure if the trellis offers any support to the subframe or not, it looks like it might. The reason I say this is because it connects to the subframe and then the lower main frame, it wouldn't need to do that just to hold passenger pegs, so there may be more to it than meets the eye.

There is no taking a shot, if you blow it and bend or crack your subframe you are screwed and are not only looking at an expensive repair you are looking at a bike that will be almost impossible to sell once repaired.

Not worth it IMHO.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:10 AM

There's another thread where this is addressed....run a search.
If I remember correctly the trellis can be removed but....don't take my word on it.
research research research!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 AM

Bicycle Bob removed his trellis some time ago so he should be able to answer a lot of your questions (see his pics on this site - best looking V ever IMHO). It is my understanding that removing the trellis will NOT harm anything, but I must admit I really don't know - hence the referral to Bicycle Bob. I really like the look of the bike without the trellis and since I don't intend to ever carry anyting on the back other than a soft bag weighing no more than 50 lbs. I would like to know how much weight can safely be carried (without the trellis) without doing damage to the subframe. Chime in Bob and give us real some world info.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 AM

Just by looking at it, I donít think thereís any doubt that the triangulation provided by the trellis adds significant support to the back of the frame. How much... and whether it needs it at what loads... I have no idea... But it sure would suck to hit a good bump and find out the hard way.

That said, I have seen the posts of quite a few guys who are doing it... but how much do they weigh and more importantly, have they ever taken air and inadvertently come down hard on the seat??

Of course one could always add a really, really, really strong hugger

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 AM

And the answer is...............Mine has been removed since the posting and it has suffered no ill effects from it. Track days, gravel roads, one mountain bike trail and a thorough flogging almost every day has produced no odd tire wear, no additional frame flex and no funny business at all.

However..........If you ever go two up I would most definitely put it back on.

PS-240# without gear is about the same as me.

Bob

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Before you remove it, think about what would happen in the event of an accident. Your insurance company or the other guy's insurance company and/or attorney will note that you modified the bike in a way that 'may have' or 'probably' or 'certainly' contributed to additional damage to person(s) and vehicle(s). Since I live in the land of lawyers, my antenna is perhaps more sensitive to this aspect.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 01:04 PM

Its looks so much better without. As far as lawyers go, they will always find some trick if they are good (scumbags). If a car hits you who cares if you did some mods.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:55 PM

The Ninja 650 has the same frame without the trellis.

I have removed it and re-installed it numerous times and the bolt still align well.

Go for it, the bike looks good without trellis

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:56 PM

I think the V looks much better with the trellis, it sure looks better then the bracket on the Ninja, that thing is hideous!.

Last edited by Nytrydr; 08-23-2010 at 09:19 AM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM

I understand your feelings and sentiment, but the cold reality is...the opposing attorney will say that the lack of a trellis contributed to say 20% of your injuries, so therefore 20% of your monetary claim for hospital bill reimbursement, pain, suffering, punitive damage, etc...should be taken off the tab. That could make the lack of a trellis a very expensive mod. It's a free country, do what you want...but be prepared to deal with the potential consequences. OTOH, I do like the minus trellis look...LOL...and the same attorney argument also goes for those flip-flop shoe'd shorts-and-T-shirt riders I see around here sometimes. Draw your cards and play your hand....

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Thats just nonsense! remove your trellis and don't worry about it
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesleblanc View Post
The Ninja 650 has the same frame without the trellis.

I have removed it and re-installed it numerous times and the bolt still align well.

Go for it, the bike looks good without trellis
Interesting Hypothesis.....
How about someone contact Kawasaki customer service and ask whether or not the trellis is required for anything more than support of a cargo framework (and pillion).

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
I am anxiously awaiting. I removed mine some time ago as I won't be doing any two-up riding. I think it looks much better without it.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Ted

I emailed Kawi. I specifically asked about the trellis not the frame. Maybe he did not understand or did not want to analyze the question? Anyway, here is what Kawi said ...

Thank you for your email which we received in this office. We are glad you are enjoying your Versys.

Kawasaki does not recommend modifying your motorcycle, especially by removing any part of the frame.

We appreciate your business. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to give us a call.

Sincerely,

Tim Rice
Consumer Services
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
Tel: (949) 770-0400 Ext. 2575
Fax: (949) 460-5798
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:14 AM

You didn't really expect them to tell you to go ahead and remove it did you? Kawasaki designed the bike to have the trellis on, it is, under certain circumstances a load bearing part of the frame, if they said it would be okay to take it off, no matter what the provisions stated and something happened to you or the bike which could be directly or indirectly connected to the removal of the trellis, Kawasaki is held liable.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
You didn't really expect them to tell you to go ahead and remove it did you? Kawasaki designed the bike to have the trellis on, it is, under certain circumstances a load bearing part of the frame, if they said it would be okay to take it off, no matter what the provisions stated and something happened to you or the bike which could be directly or indirectly connected to the removal of the trellis, Kawasaki is held liable.

It's a sad day since I realized that ambulance chaser are starting to dictate how a arrange my V.

I have a few comments.

1-When in doubt don't do it. Leave the trellis on the bike and go riding.

2-With respect to Kawasaki USA, their recommendation is worth nothing to me. Maybe if it came from Kawasaki Japan who designed the bike it might hold some weight. Please refer to comment #1

3- Both the ER6-N and the Ninja650 have the same frame without the trellis and they will carry a passenger and luggage. This tells me that the standard frame is strong enough for that w/o the trellis. Please refer to comment #1

4- Removing the trellis also means that you are loosing the rear pegs and the ability to carry hard luggage. The final load will be lower than on the ER6-n or Ninja 650. Please refer to comment #1

5- From my personal experience I removed the trellis last summer, rode the bike alot without any problem and when I reinstalled it, the bold still aligned well. Now I am running with the trellis because I occasionally carry a passenger. Please refer to comment #1

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I understand your feelings and sentiment, but the cold reality is...the opposing attorney will say that the lack of a trellis contributed to say 20% of your injuries, so therefore 20% of your monetary claim for hospital bill reimbursement, pain, suffering, punitive damage, etc...should be taken off the tab. That could make the lack of a trellis a very expensive mod. It's a free country, do what you want...but be prepared to deal with the potential consequences. OTOH, I do like the minus trellis look...LOL...and the same attorney argument also goes for those flip-flop shoe'd shorts-and-T-shirt riders I see around here sometimes. Draw your cards and play your hand....
Baloney!

Obviously you've got nothing better to do than construct imaginary scenarios about what imaginary lawyers may or may not do to you. That kind of reasoning borders on full-blown paranoia.

I modify everything I own. Nothing is stock. I enjoy doing hazardous things. Currently, I'm riding a Ducati that's lighter than my Versys and makes 155 hp. I owned a drag boat for a time, and also still crew on a turbine powered offshore boat. And I don't worry about any damn lawyers and what they may or may not do. Life's too short as it is without having to worry about imaginary stuff.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Baloney!

Obviously you've got nothing better to do than construct imaginary scenarios about what imaginary lawyers may or may not do to you. That kind of reasoning borders on full-blown paranoia.
I acknowledge your denial and anger. As I said, I live in the land of the lawyers. But do this for yourself: Write your insurance company, tell them that in your opinion, your Versys trellis serves no purpose other than supporting your passenger's foot pegs, and that you are hereby removing the lattice structure, but you intend to keep on riding. Share your response letter or notice of termination of insurance when you get it.

Don't kill the messenger....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode