• 1 Post By kawdog
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By saddlebag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Windscreen modification...

So Im not in love with the windscreen on my 15 versus. Functionality, it works great for me. But aesthetically I hate it. Im always taking it off for local rides, and putting it back on for my commute. I want something sporty but there don't seem to be a lot of options out there. I'm considering getting the puig sport windscreen for the Yamaha fz and drilling holes to mount it to the brackets on my versys. Has anybody ever drilled holes in a windscreen before? What are your thoughts/advice for mounting a sleek sporty windscreen on the versys?

Bein Steezy aint easy but its necessary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:33 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasonednoobie View Post
So Im not in love with the windscreen on my 15 versus. Functionality, it works great for me. But aesthetically I hate it. Im always taking it off for local rides, and putting it back on for my commute. I want something sporty but there don't seem to be a lot of options out there. I'm considering getting the puig sport windscreen for the Yamaha fz and drilling holes to mount it to the brackets on my versys. Has anybody ever drilled holes in a windscreen before? What are your thoughts/advice for mounting a sleek sporty windscreen on the versys?
I'm going the other way, and pulled the trigger on the Puig Touring screen. The Puig screens are made of acrylic, as opposed to polycarbonate. They don't scratch as easily, or yellow, but they do crack. Unless you're *very* careful you'll crack it when drilling. You need to start with a very small diameter drill as a pilot. Gradually increase the drill size in 1/16" or less increments until you reach the diameter you need. Increase those increments too disparately, and... crraaaaaackkkk...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasonednoobie View Post
I feel the same way, I would love for the front to look more like a ninja. Touring windscreens are absolutely hideous in my opinion. The brackets aren't really angled enough to do it but I'm sure I'll figure something out eventually. Would love the front end to look like this http://moto.zombdrive.com/images/kaw...bs-2013-15.jpg

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappssss View Post
I feel the same way, I would love for the front to look more like a ninja. Touring windscreens are absolutely hideous in my opinion. The brackets aren't really angled enough to do it but I'm sure I'll figure something out eventually. Would love the front end to look like this http://moto.zombdrive.com/images/kaw...bs-2013-15.jpg
Touring screens are made to cover your body for wind fatigue and rain coverage, as well as help aerodynamics (your exposed body flopping in the wind hurts and does not help aerodynamics). Those sporty shields don't do anything for you on the road, and even full fairings don't help below 90 mph but at least they protect the lower body from wind fatigue.

It helps to go with protecting the body and ergonomics before useless eye-candy (sitting still.) Windshields help fatigue greater than any part you have. Your bike is made predominantly for sitting upright, so just get a decent coverage shield that is angled the same as your forks and it should look just fine.

Hang that picture of a sports bike on your wall, since sitting still pictures is what they are best for compared to driving on the streets; and you will save $11,000 and a crooked spine in the bargain too!
BKP likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
...if i decide to plan a long trip, i suppose i better take your advice and get one of them touring screens, makes perfect sense to me.
I have one from a Yamaha scooter, a Majesty 400 I believe, that USED to live on the GREEN HORNET, that I'd let you have for a 'pittance' if you so desire....

It's actually STILL in pretty good condition.

Here it is as it was 'modded',

and then mounted on my '09.

Course you MIGHT have to get close to Mach 1 to get the BEST effects....
saddlebag likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
if i decide to plan a long trip, i suppose i better take your advice and get one of them touring screens, makes perfect sense to me.
If you decide to buy a touring screen, you could just cut down your stock screen to make it a more sporting style, warm weather screen.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey good point on the cracking. I actually picked up a fz 1 screen for free on craigslist. Two of the holes actually lined up alright with the the brackets on the versys, I just had to drill them out a bit to fit the screws. Unfortunately I didn't like the look so I wound up removing it as well as the brackets. Just going for a naked look right now. Fortunately enough I don't drive anywhere near 90 mph unless I'm passing someone on the highway, so that's not a factor.

Chappss I totally agree with you, that picture is exactly the look I'm after too! except maybe a little more smoked tint to the screen. Let me know if you find a way to fit brackets that will support a screen like that in the future!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
i'm running a KTM 990 screen presently, but my previous Versys bikes have all toured without any conventional screens...nada, nothin', the old school deal.

KTM 990 screen on faired V649HP Versys...

You are certainly getting your mileage worth off that one picture. Where does fantasy land take you to tomorrow? Old school deal?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
geeeee whiz, ya want to see more V649HP photos from fantasy land? no problem, coming right up...or maybe i'll just link them to ADVrider.

yeah, "old school deal", that's a good description of touring on an unfaired bike. in the roughly 100 year history of the motorcycle, it's only relatively recently that riders have become obsessed with wind management. partly rider preference, partly fueled by the near infinite choices in aftermarket screens and accessories, the tweaking continues. fine with me, riders prep their bikes as they see fit.

creating a custom faired Versys was just a design/fabrication exercise, not something i felt was necessary for long range touring. i'll get a chance to see how it works out, but i suspect things will be just fine. i am, however, leaning towards stark naked on the next Versys build.

maybe more naked than one of the old naked Versys which is currently in SD getting a sidecar rig for the upcoming riding season.

old school Versys, no wind management, and tours just fine...

And you have no motorcycle either. Those are timeless (NON-DATED) Advrider pics of a bike you do not have. Once you finally get a Vs. 650 and start riding more, you may understand. Maybe not.

And that is not the same as the bike you only have ONE pic above, but man that is a good pic, huh? It's in your GARAGE, lol!

Last edited by kawdog; 04-10-2016 at 09:40 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
why be negative? it's posts like this that make you look like a freakin' dumbass.
It was nothing negative. I'm just letting people know the authoritative voice of JD who cuts everything and everybody down, is nothing but a bag of wind with no motorcycle at all. No matter what ID he is using at the time, he (or they) is (or are) no more qualified than any Vs. 650 owner in their opinion. Lighten up JD, Ray may buy you a Versys 650 if you ask real nice.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
that's a good description of touring on an unfaired bike. in the roughly 100 year history of the motorcycle, it's only relatively recently that riders have become obsessed with wind management.
It's only relatively recently that bikes have been built to travel long distances at high speeds too.
Biggest problem with screens is turbulence. Much better to be "wind hurt."
I used to hate looking thru a windshield, but I've gotten used to it on my last two bikes. I still get plenty wet in rain, but I love the nice calm air that allows me to tool around with my visor up sans dry lips and bug splats.
kohburn likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 AM

bif screen helps with the cold a lot also - I don't mind going screen less in the heat
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Totally, I'm near in the sacramento valley and it averages 90-105 here in the summer. Pretty brutal.... a little extra wind feels a-realll nice (bakerxderek***). It's just a lot louder so I've had to start wearing earplugs on my commute.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Touring screens are made to cover your body for wind fatigue and rain coverage, as well as help aerodynamics (your exposed body flopping in the wind hurts and does not help aerodynamics). Those sporty shields don't do anything for you on the road, and even full fairings don't help below 90 mph but at least they protect the lower body from wind fatigue.

It helps to go with protecting the body and ergonomics before useless eye-candy (sitting still.) Windshields help fatigue greater than any part you have. Your bike is made predominantly for sitting upright, so just get a decent coverage shield that is angled the same as your forks and it should look just fine.

Hang that picture of a sports bike on your wall, since sitting still pictures is what they are best for compared to driving on the streets; and you will save $11,000 and a crooked spine in the bargain too!
You should stop assuming that everyone with a versys is only using it for "touring". I want a sport screen because I ride twisty residential back roads which is mostly under 60MPH. Every once in a while I'll have a burst of higher speed and some highway but it's very brief and rare. I enjoy feeling the wind on my body, and at this speed it's far from tiring. A huge barn door on the front of my bike is entirely pointless for the type of riding I do and looks atrocious. Even the tallest windscreen on the market causes annoying buffeting for me. So far taking the windscreen off entirely has been my favorite setting because it's all quiet clean air. I didn't get a sport bike because I am 6'2 and prefer the ergos of the versys. Everyone is different
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode