12V outlet install and Cycra Probend handguards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
12V outlet install and Cycra Probend handguards

Hmm, not really cosmetic mods... but not really 'performance' mods, either. Utilitarian mods?

M'boy ordered an outlet from SW-Motech, so we'll have a chance to compare a made-for-moto solution to a cheap bastid solution. I picked up a 12V outlet from West Marine, and we spliced in a 10A fuse.

I picked a spot on the fairing to mount it. The best tool for making a hole:

Heat shrink and a little electrical tape.

We slid the wires through the terminal covers to keep everything under wraps.

Cable ties to the frame, so the wires won't chafe on the tank.

Done. Since the fairing piece there is curved, I had to shim the bolts - one washer on the left, two on the right. I used blue Loctite.

I also put on a set of Cycra Probends, which have been good to me on other bikes. These have the mounts that use the expanders inside of the bars - however, the bolts they supply fit the threading on the stock V bars. I can use these with the stock bars, and if I decide to get aftermarket bars, I can switch over to the internal expanders.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Roadstergal
Mine is also about the same set up and no problem so far.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent write up! Great pics!! Looks professional!

Very well done!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:05 AM

I have the Cycra Probends, also. Had a little trouble fitting them in around the front brake resevoir but otherwise, great. They did a great job of protecting my hands and levers while riding off road during last springs SLAP ride at White Rock Mountain in western Arkansas. Dropped the bike twice (at least!) and no damage to the bars. Pretty tough guards.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:01 AM

Do you guys have a model number on the Pro Bends you used? Seems to be a bunch of diff models....

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I have the composite Probends with the 7/8 U-clamp mounts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM

A cig-lighter outlet makes sense on the bike. One of the solutions I've seen is a conversion harness the plugs into a battery-tender lead, so you attach it when you need it.
Pro's
out of site when not in use
Don't have to cut into bike
Can't get water logged and shorted out

Con's
Not as handy if you want to use it while riding

I'm thinking cellphone, GPS, Ipod, and tire inflator use.

Other pros and cons?

BTW, the cycra's and barkbusters are two of the best out there, have used them all. The latter offering a sheild with a little more coverage for a roadbike, the former quite popular for dirt, and also available all plastic if one just needs/wants wind/cold protection. If you need/want lay down protection the need the aluminum guts.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I had a bike with the Battery Tender lead - I never used it. As you say - the convenience factor wasn't there. This one is for GPS; we have a tire plug kit with CO2 cartridges. We have a 12V compressor, but it's pretty bulky and slow.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Yeah, my gps is a Garmin 60 and it runs for 22 hours on two AA lithiums. I don't think you can plug it in from the mount. My cell lasts a week. But I was thinking one of those lead harness thingies with the cig-lighter socket might come in handy some time.

I carry CO2's and a plug kit but was thinking of a compressor for airing back up after airing down for a dirt road.

Just planning here, haven't put it all into action yet. Looking at all the options to 'adventurize' the V.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 PM

OK, I ordered the Composites, they look like this...maybe, looks different from yours, yours are plain black, I wanted plain black, I guess I can "customize" these to be plain black...

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

I 'customized' mine to be plain black by peeling off the stickers. They're good, stiff stickers, so if you prise up an edge with a razor blade, they'll peel right off.

Brown: Ja, we're getting ready for a trip over Labor Day. I figure that we'll have a few more ideas on 'adventure-izing' afterwards; the local trips serve well as shakedown runs for the long rides.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:44 PM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I had a bike with the Battery Tender lead - I never used it. As you say - the convenience factor wasn't there. This one is for GPS; we have a tire plug kit with CO2 cartridges. We have a 12V compressor, but it's pretty bulky and slow.
The Battery Tender uses the SAE plug. I've adapted my heated garments and my Veskimo all to the SAE plugs. These are really easy to use and are more waterproof and vibration proof than the cig lighters. My friend installed a cig lighter socket in his Goldwing right pocket for his Sirius radio. It's been vibration prone. I am guessing that the cig lighter socket dimensions are not all 'equal'. The SAEs are more standardized.

Peter
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM

I mounted a generic Radio Shack unit under the seat, in the farthest back compartment. I borrowed the hole used for the big bundle of ring-terminaled grounds for the outlet ground and mount. Came with an inline 10A fuse that I connected right to the battery. My GPS cable easily runs up to the bars, and my cell......it can stay charging in the back, don't need to use that while riding.

2011 Z1000 (FTW!)
2009 Versys (sold)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 AM

Nice job, and the Cycras look fantastic, I have the Acerbis road guards on my V, only good to keep the wind off your knuckles. I now want something that can handle a dropped bike. The Cycras are top notch, my son was sponsored by them when he was racing Cross Country, has a set on his KTM 200XC-W.

thanks for sharing
Donn
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:55 AM

Which style did you use? I am sold on these and want to make sure I purchase the correct ones...

■FOR STANDARD HANDLEBARS
■FOR PRO-TAPER HANDLEBARS
■FOR RENTHAL TAPER HANDLEBARS
■FOR MAGURA HANDLEBARS
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Same question as above: could you advise regarding Cycra part number(s) that you used for your installation? Thanks a lot!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjai View Post
I mounted a generic Radio Shack unit under the seat, in the farthest back compartment. I borrowed the hole used for the big bundle of ring-terminaled grounds for the outlet ground and mount. Came with an inline 10A fuse that I connected right to the battery. My GPS cable easily runs up to the bars, and my cell......it can stay charging in the back, don't need to use that while riding.
sounds like a good way to go. I would like to see some pictures of your set up.

Donn
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 PM

I would like to see pics of that as well. I don't need to charge while riding, but a charger on long camping trips would be sooooo nice.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 AM

I could not get the cycras to fit around the brake housing without rotating it so much that the lever was at an awkward angle. Picked up two 1" steel spacers and longer flange bolts--that solved the problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode