Are there any quick scan mirrors for riding leaned over? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 2 Post By saddlebag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are there any quick scan mirrors for riding leaned over?

While I was getting some Stealth edging for my new Givi D410ST/AirFLow hybrid screen, I noticed these scan mirrors and they looked like a good safety feature. But $250??

Yikes, I figured someone rides leaned over on the expressway and has something other than those 1" convex stick on mirrors, lol. I have those already for $5.

https://www.saeng.com/category.php?category=61
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
You are probably better off with these: Rider Scan
Riderscan
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Riderscan
Those look interesting, but from reviews of them, they seem similar to the 1 to 2" dia convex mirrror stick ons. Right when you can pick up on a car, it blows by you instantly, lol. I knew that feeling. If you can see it, it's too late.

I like my bicycle glasses arm mirrors, so I looked at a Bugseye which was cheaper, but they stick out the front of the helmet. They are a pain in the arse to adjust, and you have to do it every time. And the rear view video's would get me sick, plus I want to keep my Shoei helmet!

The $250 mirrors I originally posted seem to be the el-primos for rear view vision. Maybe I'll comb for fairing add-on mirrors or something similar.
Motorcycle mirrors look like a bummer on feedback (cheap.) Once I figure where to mount the second set, I'm thinking 3m dual lock and small possibly windshield-mount jeep mirrors for better quality for a cheap price if they don't weight too much

Last edited by kawdog; 04-01-2016 at 02:42 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 07:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Riderscan
Which those were mandatory on cagers !

LOP
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:14 AM

Garage
Or get a Skully helmet

https://www.skully.com/

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
If I am tucked in on the interstate, there are no cars passing me. If I need to change lanes I look. I am flexible.
Smiley and 1stversys like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Google search for "autobahn" mirrors. Griots Garage used to sell them, also. $60 per pair on ebay sometimes.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm done! I got oem Honda 2008 cbr600rr antenna mirrors: heavy duty, stream-lined, compact pad and about a 3.5" x 5.5" mirror (each.) I'll find someplace for the 1.25 x 2.5" pads on the scoop fairing. Honda parts are the only reasonable BMW parts you can get, if they fit. These are perfect! I got them from Huntington Beach Honda for $100/pair w/4 screws, pick up at store. Bike Bandit had them for $83/ea lol. Here's a $15 knockoff pair with measures on the pic: very versitile high quality mirrors.

Rock and Roll Baby! Safe, efficient, and ergonomic.

Last edited by kawdog; 04-02-2016 at 10:06 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Trust no mirror- look!!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
leaned over
"leaned over?" If I'm leaned over, everything in the rear views just gets smaller. No need to look at it. Vision is better spent scanning for gravel and such ahead of me.
ATYC and Smiley like this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:08 PM

I have a set of the "stealth" mirrors I bought 12 years ago. They are very nice especially on the right side. I commuted in Seattle on the bike for years and they saved my ass many times from people trying to pass me on the right. Back then they were about $70 a pair. But now at about $250! wow! I can't see them selling many at that price. My Versys has two 2" convex stick on side mirrors from the local auto parts store. $1.50 each. Works just fine.

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2linby View Post
I have a set of the "stealth" mirrors I bought 12 years ago. They are very nice especially on the right side. I commuted in Seattle on the bike for years and they saved my ass many times from people trying to pass me on the right. Back then they were about $70 a pair. But now at about $250! wow! I can't see them selling many at that price. My Versys has two 2" convex stick on side mirrors from the local auto parts store. $1.50 each. Works just fine.
That's why I thought the CBR600RR mirrors at Huntington Beach Honda was such a steal for $100/pair shipped including 4 bolts! It's hard to beat Honda parts for quality and economy. HB Honda is as cheap as Partzilla, but gets the parts within the week usually too.

Now I just have to figure out how to secure my foot pad of the mirrors to my Kawasaki Vs. 650 scoops beside my mirrors. I think it will be bitchin' for sure with another set of eyes for laying on my tank AND blind side mirrors too (they are big and flexible enough, I'll just have to experiment with them.)

Innovation (Honda mirrors) happens due to necessity ($250 mirror price gouging.) I Still like their Stealth edging, even at $15/foot, 3 foot minimum - exactly what i needed too

Last edited by kawdog; 04-03-2016 at 04:20 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
"leaned over?" If I'm leaned over, everything in the rear views just gets smaller. No need to look at it. Vision is better spent scanning for gravel and such ahead of me.
MOST wind turbulence is from trucks, mini vans, and SUV's. If you don't lane split, how are you getting in front of them? Time Reverse Boots?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I Still like their Stealth edging, even at $15/foot, 3 foot minimum - exactly what i needed too
Yes the stealth edging is a nice addition. I have it on my Concours and would put it on the Versys but I went with a GIVI shield and it is way too cut up on tope to hold the stealth edging.

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2linby View Post
Yes the stealth edging is a nice addition. I have it on my Concours and would put it on the Versys but I went with a GIVI shield and it is way too cut up on tope to hold the stealth edging.
Since the Givi Airflow base shield is about 4" wider, I'm just putting stealth edging on the sides of my Givi D410ST base to give me 2" to 3"on each side air buffer to make that up (at about 70mph.) It's a compromise, but it's better than spending $175 for a new 2015 Airflow that I'll still have to adapt the 2015 base brackets, so I think it will be a sleek alternative without the brackets on my dash.

But instead, I may have CB600RR rear view mirrors standing up on end on top of my dash, near my top shield, just inside each side for jet-streaming rear view visibility. There are so many alternatives, but if you keep beating it down in your head, the constraints tell you what will work and what won't in the fine tuning of aerodynamic performance. Limited real estate and unlimited options!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
If you don't lane split, how are you getting in front of them? Time Reverse Boots?
Could you please explain what it is that you are trying to say here? No offense intended, but your statement makes very little sense.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 05:10 PM

Garage
In my riding experience, for the best unobstructed rear view is with a bar-end mirror. The only conventional mirror option that is comparable is one with a stalk long enough to match a bar-end mirror's reach, and that would be a very long stalk indeed along with the attenuated vibration such an extension would produce. Plus there is the butt-ugly factor: they look like grasshopper antennas on a motorcycle handlebar.

The best mirrors that I ever had were the bar end mounts on my last Commando. I can't remember the brand name and I will try to find a photo to post later.
A great view and solidly mounted, with a very useful fold-back design that works for narrow doors and lane-splitting. Plus they were stealth black, handsome and oh, so '60s cafe racer...
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

OK, Got my CBR600RR mirrors (2XXX), and you see them held up with tape on the left behind the AirFlow screen I'm holding up. I'm going to move my base screen up to the next 2 screw holes on each side (about an inch higher freeing up the 2 lower holes) which will allow me to get a Sheet metal (1/8" AL) piece with holes aligned for my windshield to hold it on, and then bend it 90 degrees with holes aligned to my new Honda mirrors with 5/16" standoffs inserted or tig welded to hold the CBR600RR mirrors up. It's really the only pragmatic place to put the mirror supports on the cowling support beams.

1. the mirrors will be behind the shield for no added wind resistance,
2. They will be close to my head for quick eye flicks for 'either' leaning on my tank OR blind side mirrors (I may have to do a small head bob for blind side, but it will be easier than focusing on a 1" diameter convex mirror - those are DANGEROUS!)
3. Once I find a sheet metal house, then all I have to do is paint the brackets (flat or enamel) black, and put them on.
4. Of course I'll get the AirFlow wind shield put on after I cut my base shield down.

The Honda Guys on CBR600RR really helped me understand the cowling support structure to help me read the complicated cowling oem diagrams so I could understand my Kawasaki's tubed cowling support. It's all done 95% except the actual doing now. The sheet metal pieces will take a little while: 1. Cut, 2. Punch/Drill, 3. Bend, 4. Weld, 5. Paint. You are done!

Those CBR600RR mirrors are slick!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode