Givi D4114ST windscreen - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Givi D4114ST windscreen

Has anyone purchased the Givi D4114ST windscreen on the 2015-16, if so please share your thoughts, I'm trying to decide between it and the Puig. I had the Givi airflow on my Vstrom and like it, but want to do something different on the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Though you didn't ask, I've installed the Madstad 18" on my '15 LT. It makes a big difference at highway speeds. Below about 50 mph the factory windshield does a good job. Above that I was getting a lot of buffet and turbulence on my helmet. The Madstad cured that problem 100%. As they say on their website, experiment with height and angle adjustments until it works for you.

I'm 5'10".

Whichever brand you buy, if it kills the turbulence I think you'll be a happy camper on the highway. Well worth the $ imho.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-Versys View Post
Has anyone purchased the Givi D4114ST windscreen on the 2015-16, if so please share your thoughts, I'm trying to decide between it and the Puig. I had the Givi airflow on my Vstrom and like it, but want to do something different on the Versys.
Why would you want to do something different from the best there is? It's not going to be as good. You are lucky to have the opportunity no one has had until the 2015 model. Good luck.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Though you didn't ask, I've installed the Madstad 18" on my '15 LT. It makes a big difference at highway speeds. Below about 50 mph the factory windshield does a good job. Above that I was getting a lot of buffet and turbulence on my helmet. The Madstad cured that problem 100%. As they say on their website, experiment with height and angle adjustments until it works for you.

I'm 5'10".

Whichever brand you buy, if it kills the turbulence I think you'll be a happy camper on the highway. Well worth the $ imho.

Thanks for the feedback, I know the Madstad has a big following. I'm 5'10.5" so curious at what height you have yours set to, do you still have some room to move higher if needed?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:13 AM

It is set at the highest setting. I haven't tried it lower than that.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:38 PM

Givi d4114st specific screen

I just bought the shield you mentioned for $117 shipped. It is quite a bargain.

The shield is very high quality - it is optically very clear and undistorted. The area that the brackets attach is painted black to hide the ugly hardware - a nice touch.

It was easy to install, but sometimes it required 3 hands - I managed by myself, but it would have been much easier with a helper. I set the shield in the 1/3 up position and took it for a ride. I was amazed! There is no wind on my upper body at all. Buffeting was very little - I have had Madstad screens that did not work this well. The LT hand guards easily clear the shield and it looks at least as good as the stock screen. I am 5'10" and have a 30" inseam, but I tried the shield all the way up and it still worked amazing, so it should work well for taller riders. I found that the initial guess at 1/3 way up works perfectly for me. In short - I highly recommend this shield at any price. It is a bonus that it is so cheap.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160402_162844.jpg (53.9 KB, 952 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160402_162813.jpg (51.6 KB, 825 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160402_163240.jpg (33.5 KB, 1236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160402_163226.jpg (41.4 KB, 1074 views)
raverson likes this.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:10 AM

Aerodynamics being my biz, I am intrigued by these windshields. The factory design moving the windshield forward of the fairing is the same idea as a slotted flap or slat on an airplane wing, allowing high energy air to move to the backside and promote smooth airflow on the low pressure side. Instead of creating a big vacuum bubble behind the windshield where the air then mixes turbulently with the air rushing past outside the bubble, it all moves smoothly. Even though there is shear there is no turbulence.

I find that as I sit ever higher and even stand a bit, the force of the wind increases on my helmet but there is no turbulence zone. Kawi did good, and with just a bit more engineering (rather than styling) they could have had a fantastic stock windshield. The aftermarket has given us a number of excellent products to choose from.

When I rode in the rain, the drops on the inside of the windshield were moving downward with a slight breeze pushing them. There is some kind of reverse direction eddy current next to the inside surface. Fascinating!
raverson and Urbanengineer like this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Aerodynamics being my biz, I am intrigued by these windshields. The factory design moving the windshield forward of the fairing is the same idea as a slotted flap or slat on an airplane wing, allowing high energy air to move to the backside and promote smooth airflow on the low pressure side. Instead of creating a big vacuum bubble behind the windshield where the air then mixes turbulently with the air rushing past outside the bubble, it all moves smoothly. Even though there is shear there is no turbulence.

I find that as I sit ever higher and even stand a bit, the force of the wind increases on my helmet but there is no turbulence zone. Kawi did good, and with just a bit more engineering (rather than styling) they could have had a fantastic stock windshield. The aftermarket has given us a number of excellent products to choose from.

When I rode in the rain, the drops on the inside of the windshield were moving downward with a slight breeze pushing them. There is some kind of reverse direction eddy current next to the inside surface. Fascinating!
I agree that Kawasaki got it pretty right on the stock screen. By placing the shield forward and choosing the right angle, they made the small stock shield work amazingly well. This makes it possible for the aftermarket to design larger shields that work amazingly well. The GIVI shield was designed specifically for the '15 and '16 Versys 650, so they were able to optimize the design for that specific model. They also were able to accommodate the hand guards on the LT version.

I have been doing additional rides, and have found that for someone my size, (5'10") the GIVI shield works best about 2/3 of the way up. When the shield is adjusted lower than this, you can get buffeting above 70mph. At speeds below 70, the 1/3 up adjustment works perfectly. I can still see over the shield perfectly when it is adjusted 2/3 of the way up.
raverson likes this.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
I just bought the shield you mentioned for $117 shipped. It is quite a bargain.

Thanks Green Streak! Just confirmed my next purchase!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Everyone still on board with the GIVI as the best bang for the buck? I just got back from a weekend trip where the stock screens narrow width really showed. I got stung by a bee yesterday(basically ran into it) right in the neck. If it would have been on the left side, it would have been right on my Carotid artery. Hurt like hell and could have caused an accident. I thought it may have been a fluke, but today I got another bee into the swirling vortex behind the screen, luckily no sting this time.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The Givi sounds like a good shield. Has anyone tried the California Scientific shield?

Kawasaki Versys Windshields
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:07 PM

Mine arrived today. I just finished mounting it. I'm 6'3" and hope that it solves my buffeting issues. I'll post up after I ride it tomorrow. BTW, it looks great on the bike and installation was easy.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:28 AM

Mine also showed up yesterday and is now mounted. I still need to take a ride to check positioning, all the way down gets the top at eye level for my 5' 9". A very nice looking piece of equipment........my only concern is that Givi warns not to exceed 130 KPH. That's only 81.25 MPH and very easy to do passing a vehicle. Some of the states out west here have 80 MPH speed limits. I guess I will just have to keep an eye out for stress cracks.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Duffy- So how did that Givi windshield work out for you on your ride to Rainy Pass. I've been waiting for your review!
Out West- You too!

I was just getting ready to order, before you guys had yours installed. I'm 6'0" and I'm hoping to cut out the (1) buffeting (2) Noise.

I'm on a fixed budget and I only want to buy a replacement windshield that does the whole job once.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 05:00 PM

Man! What an improvement! No more buffeting. Way less noise. I'm very happy with the Givi. My only issue: I managed to get my new toll tag sticker on kinda crooked. Once they stick, they are down forever. Oh Well. :-)
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:32 AM

I put about 130 miles on riding through the Black Hills the other day (no longer live in Western Washington) with the new Givi D4114ST and it's much better than the OEM one. I tried several positions and ended up using the shield in the "down" position. Ran it up to about 90 mph and no buffeting and air flow was good (I'm 5' 9" with a 30" inseam). I'm now ready for next years long touring rides.

This shield isn't as good as sitting behind a batwing fairing with a tall shield but it is more than comfortable.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:02 AM

I love the Givi D4114st as well great weather protection and no buffeting. It really quiets things down. Money well spent

2016 Orange Versys 650 LT , 2015 CSC RX3, 2011 Ural Gear Up
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:10 PM

Garage
I just got one of these and installed it on my 2017 650 LT without instructions. I was confused because the spacer things in the rubber pieces that stick in the stock windshield don't fit in the holes on the givi. I ended up pulling out the rubbers and spacers and putting them between the givi windscreen and the bracket. Is that what you are supposed to do?

Last edited by grimm26; 05-14-2017 at 11:00 AM.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimm26 View Post
I just got one of these and installed it on my 2017 650 LT without instructions. I was confused because the spacer things in the rubber pieces that stick in the stock windshield don't fit in the holes on the givi. I ended up pulling out the rubbers and spacers and putting them between the givi windscreen and the bracket. Is that what you are supposed to do?
I'm wondering the same thing.

How has yours held up?
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimm26 View Post
In a word, no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode