Painting the silver parts on my 2010 black - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Painting the silver parts on my 2010 black

I'm so close to painting my silver parts flat black. The head light trim, rad shrouds and side covers. It will black out my 2010. What do you guys think and has anyone done this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Make sure you do it right, or you'll be doing it over...and over...and over...

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Anyone with some Photoshop skills? And I'll be sure to do it right

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 PM

I've done the rad shrouds so far, but will do the side covers at some point. Clean, rough up gently with emery cloth, clean again, dry, and then many thin coats of Krylon plastic.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I've done the rad shrouds so far, but will do the side covers at some point. Clean, rough up gently with emery cloth, clean again, dry, and then many thin coats of Krylon plastic.

Sometimes it's the subtle touch that really makes the difference.
That's one hansom 'Blue' KLE-650 you have there Sir.
And clearly your Versys is chewing up the scenery. Great photograph in and of it's self also.
I to want to change my 'Green" from silver to black on the lower fairings.
Perhaps the metalwork just forward of the swing arm too.
Heck! black it all out but for the swing arm it's self.
Green Spring!!!!
(Sounds like work!) Anyone handy with a paint brush.....Bueller....Bueller...!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:30 AM

Picked up my new 07 and I went from this to that asap, way too silver! Side shrouds, enamel- semi sheen. no chips or cracks in 3 years.

Last edited by 4731; 08-14-2010 at 03:35 AM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 133bhp View Post
Picked up my new 07 and I went from this to that asap, way too silver! Side shrouds, enamel- semi sheen. no chips or cracks in 3 years.

Wow! That looks great! You have some painting skills for sure!
What is that front fender set-up you have? I really like it.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:36 PM

cheers - first saw the V and thought crying out for bit more attitude.

Inspired couple of others too here apparently on the front end, do a search, think they wrote it up? (thumpers/cuff?) Anyway, ended u with acerbis supermoto. Mount high as possible and follow wheel contour to look right.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Yup, I ripped it off and I'm not saying sorry. You had me with the Acerbis front fender, looked at others but they didn't look right to me. I even thought about a GS front nose but my plastic skills are a little short of my ambition.

Didn't do a write up, just lots of pm's but there are a tonne of ways to mount up plastic. Find out what fits the budget and just dick around until you're happy.

I love this bike for all the options and looks that get down the road. Seems like a platform for touring, naked, supermoto, cafe racer and sport.

Topped up the farkles this week to go along with valve check, oil and spark plug change, clear lenses, new cross bar, windscreen trim.

ps. How was your trip to our left coast 133bhp?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2516-Copy.jpg (292.7 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2533-Copy.jpg (204.6 KB, 188 views)

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547

Last edited by cuff; 08-17-2010 at 04:29 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
cheers - first saw the V and thought crying out for bit more attitude.

Inspired couple of others too here apparently on the front end, do a search, think they wrote it up? (thumpers/cuff?) Anyway, ended u with acerbis supermoto. Mount high as possible and follow wheel contour to look right.
I gave you full credit man. That was an inspirational bike indeed. You should have been on Kawa's design team for the V IMO. I still wish I had the silver tank to go with the black parts.
Thanks for posting a pic of that pretty bike again.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 PM

133bhp,

Love the colour and the look. Ready and mean. It belongs on the race track look.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:18 AM

cheers chaps, falttered like enough to want to do yourself. They should all come that way from the factory!

Trip to BC?, you've a good memorey cuff! - actually went really well given, logistics,/time limted, so didnt get across rockies but just Flew in to Vancouver from Vegas, few days there, then onto Whistler, got last weeknds great skiing, got bumped to a huge apartment, ditto rental car, did zip lining etc, Blessed with weather, everything fell into place, as it does when you dont plan. But stunning raods and scenery, like Scottish highlands on a bigger scale. People were nice too, Will defintely be back on a bike one day.

Last edited by 4731; 08-18-2010 at 06:29 AM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=stagehand38;102910]
That's one hansom 'Blue' KLE-650 you have there Sir.

I think you should look at "Her" screen name again.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
cheers chaps, falttered like enough to want to do yourself. They should all come that way from the factory!

Trip to BC?, you've a good memorey cuff! - actually went really well given, logistics,/time limted, so didnt get across rockies but just Flew in to Vancouver from Vegas, few days there, then onto Whistler, got last weeknds great skiing, got bumped to a huge apartment, ditto rental car, did zip lining etc, Blessed with weather, everything fell into place, as it does when you dont plan. But stunning raods and scenery, like Scottish highlands on a bigger scale. People were nice too, Will defintely be back on a bike one day.
Glad we could show you guys a good time.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 AM

For the OP, I thought the 2010 model has silver wheels.

A rattle can job will only give so much paint life. To do it right requires a flex additive in a more durable paint and proper surface prep. Bulldog is a good adhesion promotor and flex agent for plastic parts. I would advise caution for just spraying them with a can.

I was going to try the krylon fusion on my lowers but couldn't find a dark gray, only flat black and the other parts are not totally black so would look a bit mis-matched.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Quote:

LOVE this paint. Nicely done. I have considered doing a similar re-work on my green bike, but with white paint. Now my little brain is racing!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Silver on Blue...

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:17 PM

Very nice! I like it,and the racing stripes add to the bike. Did you paint it or swap out the cowling?

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 PM

G'Day Thumper,

Painted it when my dad crashed my bike. Main thing was my dad was A-OK.

The evolution story on http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4763

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 AM

Hi there... if you have a look at my photos in my profile section, I've painted all the silver bits on my 2008 Versys satin black - and it looks awesome! being a Hotrodder, I like to have my vehicles looking sharp and individual and this what I did to my Versys too, however I need to update the profile photo now as I've done more to it - will do soon! What I used was just a spray can colour (15 minute quick dry) from the Hardware store and used a 1200 grit wet'n'dry sand paper and lightly rubbed the rear frame section - motor shroud panels (took them off) steering area and the handle bar (took the tank etc off) - masked and cover the regions so not to get any over spray and sprayed the areas some 3 times over a 1 hour period.... no great expense (maybe $15.00Aud) and even today when some friends saw the bike for the first time said how great the two colours work together.... my bikes is the Candy Lime green colour. Personnally I wouldn't go with the Gloss or flat black - the satin black blends in more with the bikes own natural black colouring.... Good luck with what you decide - hope to see a photo of the result..... catchya Andreas

Last edited by Andreas56; 08-22-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode