• 2 Post By kawdog
  • 1 Post By kawdog
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By HondaGalToo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ventura Light Guards

$30 + $6 ship = good of light protector I've ever seen: I got lucky on product unseen this time!

http://www.amotostuff.com/category/v..._By=disp_order
onewizard and weljo2001 like this.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-22-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
$30 + $6 ship = good of light protector I've ever seen: I got lucky on product unseen this time!

Versys 650 2010-2014: Adventure MotoStuff LLC
Nice, does it attach with the little 3M velcro things?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Nice, does it attach with the little 3M velcro things?
Actually, it comes with about 30 oval stickers, and they say use 4 at a time. It fits real close to the lens with dimples on each side, top, and bottom with a little rubber dot in the middle.

I was thinking to put,3M if I can find it, clear silicone seal around the edges to keep water out. Then it would 'kind of' be permanent, but I like your idea better. I looked on Cee Bailey's site for similar head light guards and they had 4 round velcro stickers: are these just Home Depot white heavy duty plastic velcro stickers?

Yep, they are 3m dual locks: I'm pretty sure that's what Home Depot sells

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/cee-b...adlight-cover/
onewizard and AlaskaJeff like this.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-22-2016 at 08:57 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Actually, it comes with about 30 oval stickers, and they say use 4 at a time. It fits real close to the lens with dimples on each side, top, and bottom with a little rubber dot in the middle.

I was thinking to put,3M if I can find it, clear silicone seal around the edges to keep water out. Then it would 'kind of' be permanent, but I like your idea better. I looked on Cee Bailey's site for similar head light guards and they had 4 round velcro stickers: are these just Home Depot white heavy duty plastic velcro stickers?

Yep, they are 3m dual locks: I'm pretty sure that's what Home Depot sells

Cee Bailey's Headlight Cover Review - webBikeWorld
Home Depot had a lesser brand than 3m DUAL LOCK mainly on the adhesive strength. Do NOT get weather proof or extra strong - they are both of those, but look for DUAL LOCK clear 250 ball size is what you want. You have to order them online. $15 or $21 for 1"x12" strips on ebay. I got two 1" x 12" for $7.xx shipped. To get the 3/4" circles are at least $10 or more. I'll just cut the 1" strip 3/4" length's off and keep rounding the corners or 3/4" squares would be stronger -? I thought the 1" strips would give me more flexibility if I saw something more advantageous than the 3/4" round shape (?) I just got them in today. On ebay, the 1" clear 12" strips usually number is
Clear 3M SJ3560 (for 1" wide, clear) dual lock strips. Here's my cheapee special:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291714322563

These are the only ones like this, and it's hard not to get sidetracked by Ebay for black ones, 1/2" wide ones, Weather proof, extra strong, ... (NOT 3m dual lock clear 1" wide 250 ball size, or 3/4" circles will be different number for $35 -??)
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-27-2016 at 01:46 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ventura makes good products.

I also have this light guard. I was a bit skeptical about the enclosed velcro attachments, as other light guards I had in the past used the dual lock. But, I used them and it's been on the bike for a couple of years with no issues.

Dual-lock never hurts. If the velcro ever starts looking suspect, I'd replace with dual-lock.

I was surprised how well the velrco included with the light guard worked.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlite.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	84626I had a Ventura light guard on my Concours. Put 120,000 km on it and never had a problem. Pulled it off occasionally to clean the headlight lens and then replaced it using the same original velcro tabs.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Farkles OH YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Attachment 84626I had a Ventura light guard on my Concours. Put 120,000 km on it and never had a problem. Pulled it off occasionally to clean the headlight lens and then replaced it using the same original velcro tabs.
Your not helping! --Trying to find tank protector locally, so far no luck.

Weather is to be nice today--no part no antifreeze--come back ice and snow
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 08:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post

Weather is to be nice today--no part no antifreeze--come back ice and snow
Be careful what you wish for. No more winter, please! I'm changing spark plugs and cleaning air filter today.

Will be interesting to see what the original spark plugs look like after 55000 km.

Excuse the hijacking of this thread.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Be careful what you wish for. No more winter, please! I'm changing spark plugs and cleaning air filter today.

Will be interesting to see what the original spark plugs look like after 55000 km.

Excuse the hijacking of this thread.
I know where there is a ER6N stator!

Yes and excuse my hijacking of this thread, just a little frustrated waiting for a fitting.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...just a little frustrated waiting for a fitting.
NOW I'm REALLY confused, Mr "onewizard".... I take it that you ordered a new suit (or something like that), and the tailor hasn't 'fitted' it to you...?

Got a GOOD one down here in AZ...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
NOW I'm REALLY confused, Mr "onewizard".... I take it that you ordered a new suit (or something like that), and the tailor hasn't 'fitted' it to you...?

Got a GOOD one down here in AZ...!

How did you know--lost 20 LBs in the last 5 months, jacket and pants are loose. Now I am beginning to think I have lost my marbles--someone is using the English language to keep me on my toes, and that could be related to why I am waiting for a fitting.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-28-2016 at 04:54 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

Maybe I have TOO much time on my hands down here (ONLY rode 180 miles yesterday...!).

onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Ventura makes good products.

I also have this light guard. I was a bit skeptical about the enclosed velcro attachments, as other light guards I had in the past used the dual lock. But, I used them and it's been on the bike for a couple of years with no issues.

Dual-lock never hurts. If the velcro ever starts looking suspect, I'd replace with dual-lock.

I was surprised how well the velrco included with the light guard worked.
It's whatever you feel comfortable with, and it is a big complex shape lens cover directly in the wind (i.e. - lots of forces considering motorcycle speed plus wind speed shifting directions constantly.) I just did not know and would rather spend $7.14 to make sure it is the best replaceable fastener I can get.

I'm just glad Alaska Jeff keeps up with all that stuff; but when he said it, I immediately knew it was a best application method. I thought it would be a good product in the AK wilderness when I first saw them. Then I used my "cheap" skills to ferret out the best value purchase, ha ha. I'd rather do it right and do it once. My tiny oval shaped stickers that came with my lens cover gave me a queasy feeling in my stomach (they seemed smaller than the size of the ones in Smiley's pic, PLUS mine covers 3 (total) lamps with 2 bends in it), and I really did not know what I was going to do yet. But when Alaska Jeff said it, it suddenly became clear as air what I needed to investigate (and it took a couple of hours at least including investigating and purchasing.) It was a good investment in time.

Thanks Alaska Jeff!

The velcros were 3M anyway, but they are not 3/4" x 3/4" nor near as strong or reusable as the dual lock (I'm not lucky.) The good thing about them though is they did not block light like the 3/4" diameter dual locks. But I'll be taking mine off up to weekly cleaning my bike, so... Easy Peasy, no worries with space-age glue to hold them on; which is what sets the Dual Locks apart from all the other 3m uni-lock plastic velcro fasteners..

Last edited by kawdog; 03-29-2016 at 04:47 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 04:49 PM

Garage
My '07 V has an acrylic-type lens so I don't see the need for a Ventura. Is the Versys headlight gen 2 and 3 lens made of glass? If so, I would seriously consider a Ventura guard, otherwise, I see little benefit to using plastic-over-plastic.

As I previously posted there is no reason to question the holding power of the Ventura supplied velcro tabs- it's surprising how much effort it takes to remove the lens, and there is equally less need to remove the lens for cleaning. Weekly cleaning? no need to remove it, simply clean the outer Ventura guard. Nothing got under mine for many thousands of kilometres. I think that I took mine off twice over 120000 km of travel and it was quite unnecessary.

Last edited by Smiley; 03-29-2016 at 05:00 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Here's where I placed the velcro included with my Ventura light guard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-03 11.00.20 (458x640).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	86154  
kawdog likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Here's where I placed the velcro included with my Ventura light guard.

Perfect! I was wondering if the fasteners should be on the top of the fog lamp, but it was on a different plane than the 2 main lights. None of the manufacturer omnibus pics were appropriate for the Vs. 650 weird configuration. Doah! I knew it would make perfect sense when I saw how it was supposed to be done!

THANK YOU!!

By the way (since you are HONDAGalToo), I got CBR600RR (2008) mirrors for my tank laying position (I don't really support myself on my tank) on the expressway and they looked perfect. It's hard to beat Honda parts for quality and economy.

Is there a flat disc with 2 nuts for each mirror inside the Upper cowling to distribute forces built inside the upper cowling or is that flat piece just JB Welded to the upper cowling (ha ha)?

It may be easy to find busted up CBR600RR upper cowlings to pull these base pieces off of, huh?

Last edited by kawdog; 04-03-2016 at 01:50 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

When the 3m dual lock adhesive settles in a couple of days, I'll take it off, put polymer coat on the inside, and align it (it's hard as crap aligning long ways with a dip at the top fog lamps!)

It was more than my 2x size hands could handle: you almost need another pair of hands or take some time to figure how to align it better I think the silicone dot in the center should be behind the Headlamp center, but it's easier said than done. Once your first corner touches (sticks), you have been committed! At least my 3/4" diameter dual locks have some play to adjust it (1/4" easy.) I'll give it a Grade B+, for Bitchin'+

Oh, I went and checked the dot alignment looking directly in front of it, and I'm within a dot's diameter of perfect aligntment, so that's pretty close. I still need to cover some hairiine micro scratches, from simulating with it, with polymer protectant. Give me a B++ then!

Last edited by kawdog; 04-03-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode