Genuine Kawasaki Accessories Rear Trunk questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Genuine Kawasaki Accessories Rear Trunk questions

I am interested in getting the genuine Kawasaki accessories rear trunk and rack, but their (Kawasaki's) website's pictures and descriptions are painfully inadequate....
Who out there has one? Does it lock? Does it come with keys? What does the back look like? Built in reflectors? Can you actually fit a full size helmet in it? Do you have some pics of it on the bike?

I did a search in this forum but it did not turn up much. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 PM

No pics but I had one on mine and found it to small. Also looks like a black easter egg mounted on the bike. It is, after all, a scooter trunk Kawi can sell relatively cheap. I think there are many better choices out there.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
Who out there has one? Does it lock? Does it come with keys? What does the back look like? Built in reflectors? Can you actually fit a full size helmet in it? Do you have some pics of it on the bike?
I've got one, it locks, it comes with keys for said lock. It looks like a small trunk. Yes, one reflector. Yes, my full-face, XXL helmet fits inside it easily. No pics. Good luck.

Kurt

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
I've got one, it locks, it comes with keys for said lock. It looks like a small trunk. Yes, one reflector. Yes, my full-face, XXL helmet fits inside it easily. No pics. Good luck.

Kurt
Thanks!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Here are some pics for you. I haven't bothered to apply to the color decals yet.

It is small, but I still find it useful. I've seen other pics on this forum of larger trunks, but this is fitting my needs.

Kurt
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here are some pics for you. I haven't bothered to apply to the color decals yet.

It is small, but I still find it useful. I've seen other pics on this forum of larger trunks, but this is fitting my needs.

Kurt
Great pics, just what I needed to see. Thank you! I think it looks great. I am going to order that set up next week. One question; you mention color decals....is that the "optional decal set" mentioned on the Kawi website (it's a $20 something option) that says pics unavailable right now? If so, what color are they? Are they color matched blue (my V is blue too)? Silver? Or...?
Thanks again--I appreciate it!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:27 PM

Yep, color matched. I just haven't bothered to take them out the box yet.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:45 PM

I had heard that on pre-'10 models you could either have a top case or side cases, but not both from the factory. I haven't confirmed this as being true. This may not be an issue in your case, but if it is, you might want to research it before any purchase. It's also my understanding that Givi makes the racks, top, and side cases for Kawasaki.

V-Zee

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 08-15-2010 at 09:47 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
I had heard that on pre-'10 models you could either have a top case or side cases, but not both from the factory. I haven't confirmed this as being true. This may not be an issue in your case, but if it is, you might want to research it before any purchase. It's also my understanding that Givi makes the racks, top, and side cases for Kawasaki.

V-Zee
It's true. As someone who bought both, then couldn't fit them, I can assure you it's true. We kept the top box, returned the side cases, and went with Ortlieb soft panniers.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 AM

Then Givi must not make the top case, ja? The Givi topcase works with the PLX and PL sidecase racks, and the OE Kawk are PLX.

I bought the Givi topcase rack so that I can add the PLs later if I want. We also have a couple of Givi Monokey cases to play with.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:27 AM

Garage
There are many great alternatives, including a full Givi set - various sized side & top boxes and various rack mounts.

Here are some shots of just the large top box which will take two full face helmets, or as is more often for me, my full face helmet, my riding boots, gloves & sunglasses,

A super-strong alternative are the Pelican Cases from Cariboo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00078a.jpg (199.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4352a.jpg (732.6 KB, 303 views)

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:16 AM

Glowcat13 has the Kawi rack and top case and he has outgrown it in about a year. I saw his key and it looks just like my Givi key. So I'm inclined to think that Givi does make the Kawi top box. Here's some pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
Then Givi must not make the top case, ja? The Givi topcase works with the PLX and PL sidecase racks, and the OE Kawk are PLX.

I bought the Givi topcase rack so that I can add the PLs later if I want. We also have a couple of Givi Monokey cases to play with.
I don't know if Givi makes the topcase or not, but I read elsewhere on this forum that the rack is made by SW-Motech.

As you and others point out, there are lots of options. I went with the Kawi stuff because the dealer was cutting me a deal. The topbox is smaller than I had hoped, but it's sufficient for my needs. YMMV.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
Glowcat13 has the Kawi rack and top case and he has outgrown it in about a year. I saw his key and it looks just like my Givi key. So I'm inclined to think that Givi does make the Kawi top box. Here's some pictures.

Thanks! I am going with the Kawi top case because I am getting it for a good deal from my dealer too. I think it will be good for my needs as well--not too big, not too small. I can see in Brothercannon's post what the decal set looks like too--thanks. I am hoping those are color matched to the green and it is just the camera that is making them look yellow though!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know if Givi makes the topcase or not, but I read elsewhere on this forum that the rack is made by SW-Motech.
That would make sense on why it doesn't work with the Givi side racks - and it leaves the option of SW-Motech side cases in the future.

I have the Givi Traffic II (monokey) as my main case, and it looks comparable in size to the OE Kawk case. It's a good day-to-day case; it holds a fullface with a little room left if I'm so inclined, or enough for a few days on the road if I keep the helmet out of there. It's deceptively capacious.

The Givi will be here tomorrow, according to UPS. So I only have a pic of that case on the little Neenja, but it gives the idea.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I am going with the Kawi top case because I am getting it for a good deal from my dealer too. I think it will be good for my needs as well--not too big, not too small. I can see in Brothercannon's post what the decal set looks like too--thanks. I am hoping those are color matched to the green and it is just the camera that is making them look yellow though!
I knew I should have mentioned that Glowcat13 used his own stickers that he got from work. Repeat the green decals on his top box are NOT the Kawasaki stickers.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Brothercanon is right I got some hi-viz material from work and cut my own stickers, did this to match my jacket and helmet. I also have some reflective material if anyone is interested. I am thinking of upgrading to A larger case though, the kawasaki case is 29 liters I might go with A 45 liter.
Thanks brothercanon.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
Brothercanon is right I got some hi-viz material from work and cut my own stickers, did this to match my jacket and helmet. I also have some reflective material if anyone is interested. I am thinking of upgrading to A larger case though, the kawasaki case is 29 liters I might go with A 45 liter.
Thanks brothercanon.
I was waiting for you to find this thread and give your 2 cents.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
Thanks brothercanon.
Ah, I see. I plan on adding some reflective tape on my case as well. I already have some on my helmet...big fan of reflective tape.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:33 AM

Well I bought the givi e450 yesterday 45 liter I like it better than the kawi one, and seeing that it is a monolock it popped right on. Only problem now is that I want to get the lighting kit for the new case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode