any side cases, or trunks to stay away from - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
any side cases, or trunks to stay away from

I've done some searching here and I'm wondering if there is any luggage setups that people just don't recomend. I guess I'm thinking of some of the cheaper hard cases, ect.. I'm new to the touring thing and might even go with soft stuff-for starters anyway. Is a nice rack setup worth putting under soft bags and then maybe buying the better cases later? Also, will the Kaw. color matched panels go right on the Givi v-35 cases? Thanks for your time,
Jim

A catagory devoted to luggage,touring setups would be nice as apposed to finding stuff in general,cosmetic and performance mod.s. I find luggage to be not really any of these....Imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:47 PM

A good place to start, might be by looking at what others have done, to see if you like the looks of things to start. There are several luggage threads, but the best to see setups is here:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=3112
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Well-those pic.s do help-and I've seen them. I know what I like the looks of -but that don't really answer my questions.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 PM

I think what Madone1 was trying to say is that you should find the type of luggage you want, and then find out about the different racking that is available for it. A good idea would be to also contact various people on here who have that type of luggage/racking you like and to ask them what they think of it. That way you will get the best all around advice.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, after weaving thru the crap- I'll roll the dice. Was hoping to hear- Well, Mine sucks in this dept. but is great in this way, Maybe next time I'd do this. Not- Look at my bike pic.s and decide. I'm not much for typing so I like to get to the point. Also, If I wanted to buy stuff mainly based on looks- Pretty sure I wouldn't buy a Verseys- but somehow I did....

Last edited by nitewl; 08-13-2010 at 03:48 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:00 AM
djg

I've been here about as long as you, and I agree that various subjects do seem to be scattered about the site. I would not characterize it as "weaving through the crap". After all, this forum is just a bunch of people with a common interest.

Perhaps you could volunteer to be a mod and clean and organize the site to your liking.

Perhaps you are looking for the person that has bought multiple setups and has the time and inclination to share his experience. Good luck.

After looking at what is available for the Versys, I bought Givi E21 hard bags from my local Givi distributor, because I like to support local business. I bought the Givi rack from Twisted Throttle because my local business did not have that in stock. I am happy with my setup for my commuter needs. I also have a choice of many other Givi bags to fit the Givi mount.

From what I have read on this forum, the Kaw panels will fit Givi V35 bags, from what I have read on this forum, the Givi bags are the same as the Kaw factory offering, going from what I have read on this forum.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Can't Help the Helpless ............. or would that be Clueless?????

With that attitude i don't see much help coming your way!!!!!

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-13-2010 at 06:48 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM

It all depends on what you want, and how much flexibility you need (or could want) for the future. Here's my understanding so far...

OEM

- The rack for the top case is made by SW-Motech for Kawasaki, and can fit any case as long as you have the correct adapter plate for the case (many come with them, for others it's an additional purchase). It should work with side racks made by SW-Motech.

- The rack for the side cases are for the Givi V35/Kappa K33 cases only. No other cases will work with them. Some people have had success using the Givi top rack (FZ447) with this rack, but it's not an easy fit.

- The OEM top rack will not work with the OEM side rack as both replace the passenger hand rails.

Non-OEM

- For the non-PLX side cases (normal GIVI stuff), racks are available from Givi, Kappa, SW-Motech, Happy Trails, and Hepco & Becker. They also have compatible top racks if you stay within brand (i.e. Givi top rack + Givi side rack). For the Givi, you need to purchase an additional adapter if you do not buy the top rack. Note that Givi and Kappa are compatible with each other.

- For the PLX side cases, you can get racks from SW-Motech, Givi, and Kappa. As mentioned above, these only work with the Givi V35 and Kappa K33 bags. Again, for the Givi/Kappa, you need to purchase an additional adapter if you do not buy the top rack.

- The SW-Motech is a flat tray that the adapter plate that comes with the top case (or purchased with the top case) attaches to, so it's more universal. For the Givi, you must buy an appropriate mounting plate (Monokey or Monolock). I don't know if there's a plate you can buy to make it work with case-specific adapter plates.

Any/all of the above will work with soft luggage.

My $0.02...

Get the SW-Motech or Givi set for non-PLX bags. That way, if you discover you want to change the bags in the future, you can use the same racks. If you get the V35 bags, you are stuck with them, and will have to buy the non-PLX racks to change them.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 AM

bill,

You are exactly right about what I was suggesting. For me, going through the pics really helped me find what I liked. I have never found anything on this forum to be "crap". Not sure why the "new guy" was against the idea of looking at pics to find what he likes. IMO, the luggage options out there are endless, and I have never really heard anything very bad about any of them.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 PM

I've had the same quandries and have been studying what's out there for the last several weeks.

The kaw-factory side bags are the same as Givi35's. They are nice looking and can be color-matched to your bike. That said, they are expensive and not as durable as I would want for boondocking. They are great for street use and like I say, arguably the best looking of what's out there for this bike.

Once you get away from the G35's almost everything is just a box. There are aluminum, plastic, and various shapes in the standard brands, or like the G26 which I think are too small. Really nice contoured Hepco & Becker bags are also really expensive. If you want adventure/rally cases in aluminum, there a bunch of them, also pretty expensive. I'm a cheap bastard so I wanted a least cost, most bang for my buck, and still work good.

So after going through all of the info on all of the sites, I'm pretty much down to Pelican cases because they are completely waterproof, super durable, and cheap. I have found them at wholesale pricing for $95 each. And there are many variations in size to fit any particular need. They fit on any standard rack as the rack manufactures all have an attach system for box-style panniers.

It has been said the Happy Trails and Hepco & Becker racks are a little stronger than SW Motech. I cannot say either way as I have not been able to inspect each brand up close, just going by what those in the know have said. SW Motech has the advantage of being quick-release so the racks and bags can be removed quickly and easily. In any case, they are are bolted on at just a few points so removing bolts to remove them doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

The happy trails racks use different attach points than motech, which makes adding a top rack to the hand-hold points easy. And they don't attach to the rear fender so in my case makes installation possible. Twisted Throttle told me I couldn't install their rack system without a rear fender - doh!!

Sites to learn about each brand/style:
www.happy-trail.com proprietary brand
www.twistedthrottle.com North American distributor for SW Motech, and carry many popular brands of hardware for adventure bikes.
www.cariboucases.com - pelican cases and hepco becker racks.
www.4lessdepot.com - wholesale/discount pricing for Pelican Cases and a host of other neat techno and backpacking stuff.

And there are probably others but these are the main ones with product that fit the Versys.

I have always just had cheap softbags. But once you buy a rack, Pelican Cases are not much more than a nice softbag set, and in some cases are less. So it was a no-brainer for me. And softbags leak unless you install covers or step up for the fancy dry-bags type and they are also quite expensive.

I'm just waiting for a reply on installation details from happy-trail. Will most likely order out their racks and case install hardware pack, and source my own Pelican Cases and install them myself. I figure to be all in for at or under $500, with a setup that should be stout enough for some adventure riding. Add some engine protection, hand guards, and some trailie tires and I should be good to go.

Hope this helps. Also, be kind to the animals here in the zoo, some of them will try to get out their cage and bite you. We're all fellow owners and they're a really nice bunch of guys if you take the time to listen and get to know them.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:09 AM

I agree on the Givis being the best looking and that everything else out there is just a box. I like to think about luggage versatility myself. I got the Givi top rack because I liked how it looked, it was a nice size, and I decided to spoil myself with it. If I get into an accident and the top rack gets screwed up, odds are that everything else is screwed up also. I actually like the pelican side cases for their durability and once again versatility. If I ever sell this bike, I will swap out the side cases and top rack to the other bike most likely. I also personally like the idea of some barkbusters, crash bars, frame sliders/bobbins for the front, radiator guard, etc. Nothing like overdoing it when it comes to farkles and protection.

Anyway, back to the point, if you like the pelican side cases, then caribou does a special with setting them up. Much more expensive than tinkering with pelican cases and a mounting system of your own, but nice quality. Thumper has their setup and likes it a lot. A while back there was some mention of caribous racks not holding up well under a lot of pressure. Since then they have redone them and it should be okay now. (I really want these sidecases so, that is what I know the most about.)

All, the op stating that he sorted through all the crap wasn't meant to offend I believe. Just substitute the word "crap" with "stuff" or "pictures". It might have been that all the gorgeous photos of so many V's with luggage was too much to handle!

Nitewl, I know it is frustrating sometimes, but I look at it as an adventure. I search through this whole forum, the web, and other stuff to see what is available, looks good, works even better, and what I like. I think the best bet would be to find what you like and then ask the members on here what they think about it or if they have any experience with it. I can tell you 100% that the people on here would warn you immediately if they thought it was a bad idea, caution you with their own tales, and then offer a better solution. I still haven't found an exact answer to my question about upgrading the alternator. It looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot more time out there searching this one.

You are also correct, we didn't answer your question exactly. I have found that if I post a question and it isn't answered within a day or two, sometimes it is best to let the weekend pass. A lot of people on here post/log on to this forum more on the weekend and it is the best time to get all the answers.

Soft/hard cases all have their benefits. If I were to get some soft luggage I would definitley get racks for it. That way it is more conformed to the bike/racks and not free flowing. Otherwise I would bungee them down tight. Depends I guess on what you are going to be carrying around with you and your preference on the hard/soft luggage. There are some other threads on here about a bunch of people who have soft luggage and the racking they attached them to. It looks better and is more functional IMO. I had some luggage once that was loose (sidebags on a cruiser) and they slipped slightly down on the right side, then proceeded to melt on the pipe. Bags were ruined, pipe saved.

Please let me know if this info didn't answer your questions. Best of luck!

Bill

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewl View Post
I've done some searching here and I'm wondering if there is any luggage setups that people just don't recomend. I guess I'm thinking of some of the cheaper hard cases, ect.. I'm new to the touring thing and might even go with soft stuff-for starters anyway. Is a nice rack setup worth putting under soft bags and then maybe buying the better cases later? Also, will the Kaw. color matched panels go right on the Givi v-35 cases? Thanks for your time,
Jim

A catagory devoted to luggage,touring setups would be nice as apposed to finding stuff in general,cosmetic and performance mod.s. I find luggage to be not really any of these....Imo.
I have Monster Tail Bag and Monster Saddle bags and I didn't put hard racks on. I wish I had because now my paint is scuffed and worn away both at the rear of the seat (on the green plastic) and all along the rear part of the frame where it all rubs. The racks would have probably prevented this.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all-now I got some decent info. So far I have the sw motech top rack and a used[demo] kaw. trunk on the way. It seems I'll buy the plate SW sells for a tail bag for every day use. I guess there is no cheap way out on this stuff. After a few trips I may get the sw side racks because I believe they will work with my top rack and trunk. I'm leaning towards the smaller Givi side cases at this point. Thanks again,wasn't trying to be a smart ass.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I bought Givi E21 hard bags
Those are absolutely my favorite. I have yet to go on a trip that exceeded the capacity of my Traffic II topcase and my E21 side bags (had them on my SV). I don't like ginormous bags, and those, to me, are the ideal not-too-big but still-hold-what-I-need size. They don't stick out farther than the handlebars, and that is nice for lanesharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewl View Post
I guess there is no cheap way out on this stuff.
Bingo.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM

I've ordered a set of 9" HT Teton (Silver), the Givis remind me of a woman with fat hips. JMHO, no offense but I just couldn't do that to the back end of my V. I know the HTs are very utilitarian looking but I like that.

Doug

Mine is a BLUE 2009 KLE650A9F
Former RED KLR650 Rider.
Former Yellow/Black Suzuki M50 Rider.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmcse View Post
the Givis remind me of a woman with fat hips.
The Givi V35s do make for a wider behind, but they are nicely curved and follow the lines of the V well. ...Like J-Lo in a clingy dress. Not much wrong with that.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 PM

Can't advise against anything to stay away from, but am happy with my Happy Trails 9" Tetons. Still can't figure out how to relocate rear turn signals so I left them as original. No problems so far.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:36 AM

Not sure about what bags I dislike, but can say what I like.

Hepco and Becker 40L Junior bags. Same guys who gave us the engine guards.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 AM

Garage
I haven't read all the previous post, so I might be repeating

I have GIVI V35, and must say that they look good on the bike, don't denaturize the line

BUT

I went on a ride last week-end and got caught in the rain for an hour, and must say that water got inside the case
Not a lot but still, all my clothes were either damp or simply wet

Further more, I cannot put my Shoei RF-1100 XXL Full face inside the case (OK it's a big helmet) OR a much smaller GIVI X.01 Full face (which is odd since GIVI themself mention that a full face will fit)

Otherwise, I like them a lot for their volume and line and will be placing some garbage bag in it to keep everything dry

LOP
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 AM

Some alternative luggage for the V:

Alpos aluminium bags. Fits with SW Motech
http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/acatalog/A...pos_Cases.html
http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/acatalog/A...le_Sizes_.html

Zarges luggage. Fits with SW Motech
http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/Zarges_Luggage.html

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode