confused? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
confused?

ok so, before i spend any $ i have a question. when i'm browsing all the wonderful top cases out there on the interweb none of the sites are specific enough?!? what will i need? mono this and mono that.... my V is bone stock! what rack with what case? if i order a case does it come with a rack? it might seem simple to most but i'm new to motorcycling. please no links to other threads... just need an answer... this is an example and what i want to get...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-...=d10136y2009j1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 02:48 PM

COFNFUSED? Me too!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Give them a call

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:17 PM

You will need a luggage rack. The JCW case comes with a quick release mounting plate. I have used one for several years on my V-Star. I have a large cheapy from Ebay on my Versys which also includes a mounting plate that bolts to the rack (Givi).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:42 PM

twistedthrottle.com has the Alu-Rack for the Versys. About $150. It is sturdy and adaptable. You need a decent rack then you can mount your cheapo box to it. Smart idea.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 PM

You said you didn't want a link to another thread, but I and others have been posting in a recent thread about some topcases which should help you a bit. Do a search if you are interested in that thread as I will respect your wishes and not offer a link.

Any topcase that you decide on will need some form of rack and possibly a plate. The rack is to secure the entire piece to the bike. The plate is secured to the racks and then used to secure the topcase. I would first look around (looks like you have) and decide on what type of topcase you would like and in what size. There is an excellent thread on here of people posting pictures of the luggage they have on their bikes, which could help too. Typically the different websites have a link stating what type of mounting you need for your specific bike and with that topcase.

The problem/advantage that you will find is that there are different types of racks/plates/add-ons available out there to suit different needs. A classic example is that you might have case A and then decide to change to case B. Instead of having to change out/pay for new racks, you could just purchase a different plate and then attach case B while keeping your old racks. Hope that makes sense.

I never knew or had any luggage on a bike before and the Givi topcase I ordered was my first experience also. I ended up looking around at other people's bikes on here and then asking them what exactly they did and for their recommendations. Finally, just like Pegasus said, call them. Best of luck!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullroses View Post
please no links to other threads... just need an answer...
There is great information on other threads if you would take the time to read them. When I first got my V, I had the same questions. People linked to other threads and I did a little reading and I have a great rack / topcase setup.

Since you don't want links to other threads, I suggest to try the search function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
You need a decent rack then you can mount your cheapo box to it. Smart idea.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 07:04 AM

skullroses

Just wondering, is cofnfused a typo or another way to spell conf**k**gfused?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys.... i appreciate the help.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:25 PM

One phone call to Twisted Throttle will help you a great deal. Those guys (and gals) know their snit. I have seen some misinformation on this forum regarding fitment of factory side bags and aftermarket top racks. Twisted will tell you point blank what works and what does not. I have no affiliation with them other than they know my credit card number by heart!!

These are factory Kawi/Givi sidebags with a Givi E460 topcase. A very easy install. Bout 2 beers!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
twistedthrottle.com has the Alu-Rack for the Versys. About $150. It is sturdy and adaptable. You need a decent rack then you can mount your cheapo box to it. Smart idea.
I really do not know how blipco meant this statement, but this is exactly what I did. I bought the appropriate givi rack that would allow the appropriate side cases and then I attached a cheap jcwhitney topcase to it. I did this with the intention of putting the correct givi topcase on the bike when I outgrew the jcwhitney case. Well, it has been about two years and I have a fine givi rack and a cheap jcwhitney case on my Versys and am having a great time with the combination!

I have no idea if there are racks that are substantially cheaper than the ~$130 rack that I installed.

If you need to know, I could take the time to figure out which givi rack is on my bike.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:14 AM

Siyeh, thank you for correcting me! Good to know that the OEM Givi/Kawi bags work. Thanks!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
I really do not know how blipco meant this statement, but this is exactly what I did. I bought the appropriate givi rack that would allow the appropriate side cases and then I attached a cheap jcwhitney topcase to it. I did this with the intention of putting the correct givi topcase on the bike when I outgrew the jcwhitney case. Well, it has been about two years and I have a fine givi rack and a cheap jcwhitney case on my Versys and am having a great time with the combination!

I have no idea if there are racks that are substantially cheaper than the ~$130 rack that I installed.

If you need to know, I could take the time to figure out which givi rack is on my bike.
I like the Alu Rack (my third one) because being flat aluminum it can be drilled and tapped for DIY projects (such as a wide mounting plate for soft bags). You need the Givi adapter plate for your Givi box however. Plus it looks the best when there is no luggage mounted.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
I like the Alu Rack (my third one) because being flat aluminum it can be drilled and tapped for DIY projects (such as a wide mounting plate for soft bags). You need the Givi adapter plate for your Givi box however. Plus it looks the best when there is no luggage mounted.
This was my first farkle and I figured that I would find the JCWhitney case wanting and would eventually go with the Givi case. So I researched to make sure that I would have the ability to add the correct Givi side cases after I had the Givi topcase. I have the entire Givi rack (including the plate sitting in a box in my garage somewhere). It was straightforward to mount the JCWhitney case to the Givi rack.

Given my current experience, I would probably opt for a rack like the one your are recommending. I doubt that I will ever have the Givi topcase on my bike, but I never take my topcase off so I don't really care what the rack looks like without the luggage.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

i have the same tank bag in the "go faster blue!!!" LOL thanks again everyone. so i'll get a rack then probably get the JCW case... that's all my "cough" budget will allow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode