Using a droid for your GPS? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Using a droid for your GPS?

I've got one and I like the idea of one piece of tech being used for your GPS, MP3 player and phone, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to mount the sucker. I've seen the Speedy's universal windshield mounts... has anyone tried modifying one of these to act as a phone cradle/GPS? Or is this a stupid idea and I should just invest in a ZUMO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:50 PM

I've been wondering the same about my iPhone. I can't afford a separate GPS but could really use it while on the bike. Amazon has some motorcycle specific cell phone mounts. I'm just a tad nervous about the mount failing and my phone sailing off the bike doing 80mph.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:03 PM

+1 on wanting an iPhone solution. Would be very curious if anyone has a solution for mounting it.

As for now - I'm using the GPS, but it's audio only, and the phone is safely residing in my pocket

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 PM

I don't know why one of the ram-mounts wouldn't work. I did a quick search for DROID and they have a universal holder that will connect to their ball-mounting system. I have one for my GPS, the ball gets through-bolted with one of the handlebar clamp bolts. I have one on the dirtbike and one on the V. Look up the motorcycle specific stuff for the ball mounts.

www.ram-mount.com

I just got my wife one of those phones...totally sick. I should'a got one for myself!

EDIT: oops...had the url wrong. it's ram mount dot com, no 's' in there.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Consider that, with your iPhone as your GPS, you're at the mercy of AT&T's network coverage. NO SERVICE = no GPS.

I don't know about you, but I like to ride far from population centers where AT&T has coverage. I routinely ask friends with Verizon phones to let me borrow them so I can tell my family I'm set for the night...it's a running joke. ("Who's got a Verizon phone? Bones wants to check in at home.")

One device can be nice, but a GPS that reads satellites will be vastly more reliable than a smart phone, especially an iPhone on AT&T, IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:24 PM

Yeah, my wife's is on the verizon network, but still, we ride where there's no signal of any kind, so satelite is the only way your gps would work. Good point.

Would be handy around town though and where you do have coverage. I am blown away with the detail you can get on them things. Right down to a street front photograph. Simply amazing.

He did say verizon driod, right?

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Consider that, with your iPhone as your GPS, you're at the mercy of AT&T's network coverage. NO SERVICE = no GPS.

I don't know about you, but I like to ride far from population centers where AT&T has coverage. I routinely ask friends with Verizon phones to let me borrow them so I can tell my family I'm set for the night...it's a running joke. ("Who's got a Verizon phone? Bones wants to check in at home.")

One device can be nice, but a GPS that reads satellites will be vastly more reliable than a smart phone, especially an iPhone on AT&T, IMO.
My iPhones GPS works without cell coverage.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I just stuff it in the map pocket on my tank bag and have a blue tooth headset in my helmet to hear the directions while it streams Pandora radio.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I just stuff it in the map pocket on my tank bag and have a blue tooth headset in my helmet to hear the directions while it streams Pandora radio.
This is what I do with my Droid X when I want to go from point A to B the quickest way.

However most of the time when I want to go from point A to B via the quickest route, I already know how to navigate on my own.

The problem with Android Nav and iPhone .... you cant do a custom route (scenic route devoid of superslab riding). For that... I like my Zumo 660.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post

+10. A GPS is a different ball game from an Iphone or whatever. I do have both but have them for their design purpose. Hand phone for phone calls and GPS for navigation.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:59 AM

But the phone doesn't require you to buy map updates to the tune of $100 a wack....

I have a Garmin Nuvi I use in the car and although it works well I found the HTC Droid phone works just as well.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie74 View Post
The GPS works, but how would you get the maps?
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
The GPS works, but how would you get the maps?
There are nav programs in iTunes that download maps to the phone so that you don't have to rely on the cell network to get your maps.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 AM

I just upgraded from a Droid to a DroidX and have been thinking about this issue. Did a little research and come up with this.http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx
I already have a handlebar RAM mount that I use for my NUVI 500 with an 1 1/2 inch ball mount. Should work....I just want to have an all in one device. On top of that I get bluetooth verbal GPS commands from Google maps that I'd like to use with my Vega b/tooth helmet. The Nuvi 500 does not have bluetooth. I think I'm gonna try it.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
There are nav programs in iTunes that download maps to the phone so that you don't have to rely on the cell network to get your maps.
That's pretty awesome. Googled it and found a big set of such apps.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

I'm with Verizon right now... have to be. The wife has an iPhone and it constantly looses service, lol. My droid's been good to me so far, but I'll still loose service up on the dragon or Cherohala. I've got a Magellan I keep in the tank bag, but just wanted to carry a little less tech. Anyone have pics of their current set up (smart phone or gps)?
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
I just upgraded from a Droid to a DroidX and have been thinking about this issue. Did a little research and come up with this.http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx
I already have a handlebar RAM mount that I use for my NUVI 500 with an 1 1/2 inch ball mount. Should work....I just want to have an all in one device. On top of that I get bluetooth verbal GPS commands from Google maps that I'd like to use with my Vega b/tooth helmet. The Nuvi 500 does not have bluetooth. I think I'm gonna try it.
Thats a nice mount to bad the touch screen won't work with it....
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie74 View Post
Wouldn't it be fairer to say your iPhone's maps work without cell coverage? How can the phone pinpoint your location and provide navigational guidance without a signal? It can be handy to browse a map on the iPhone, but without a signal how can your device navigate?

A dedicated GPS does not transmit data, it just applies your satellite determined position to data already resident on the GPS.

If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:22 AM

i have an iphone or i carry my car nuvi i got for just over 100$ in my pocket or tank bag and take it out occasionally when i am unsure about the next turn. I am finding i don't need it mounted right there. I also have a zumo450, but the mount went bad so i have to get another 50$+ mount. not sure i really even need it. the nuvi in the pocket and iphone work fine. i can even jot down the next few turns on a piece of paper and put them on my tank bag. one less distracting piece of tech to constantly be looking at do i can enjoy the ride more.

defintely having a gps on hand when needed is key though!
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM

The GPS receiver of the iphone can receive a GPS signal even when there is no actual "cell" coverage. It's a weaker receiver than a dedicated Garmin but it does work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode